Leisure battery smells of rotten egg.

Bridie

Leisure battery smell( rotten eggs) very hot. Removed it to cool down. Haven’t reinstalled it ! We had a new leisurebattery charger installed at habitation check. I’ve searched handbook for reference to L battery charger and can’t find anything? Was this the problem? Could it have overcharged the battery? I’m nervous of having a leisure battery at all now. We only go to sites with electric hook up and the fridge stays cool enough while travelling. We don’t have water on board. Do we really need one?

You need to have this checked out by someone who knows about 12v systems. ...

Battery over charged and boiled dry.

You need to have the charger setting s checked also.

Got some of pics of the charger, battery. Install etc.

As Dell says - pictures would help.

Was it hot after driving or whilst hooked up ?

Pete

Leisure battery smell( rotten eggs) very hot. Removed it to cool down. Haven’t reinstalled it ! We had a new leisurebattery charger installed at habitation check. I’ve searched handbook for reference to L battery charger and can’t find anything? Was this the problem? Could it have overcharged the battery? I’m nervous of having a leisure battery at all now. We only go to sites with electric hook up and the fridge stays cool enough while travelling. We don’t have water on board. Do we really need one?
Try a few trips without it and see how you get on, assuming everything will still work on hook-up without the battery. Can't see why not.

There's always the option to install it externally (if you have the space) - Under Body Leisure Battery Storage - New Wave Custom Conversions

As Dell says - pictures would help.

Was it hot after driving or whilst hooked up ?

Pete
I’m sorry I’m not clever enough to put pictures on here. We noticed the smell after we’d been on site and hooked up for a couple of days.. we didn’t notice it while driving. The earliest our motor homes/ campervan garage can fit us in is November! This probably doesn’t matter as we won’t be using it now.If we do use it like it I switch the positive wire taped up with electrical tape, I guess we can just lift out the battery and do without it safely as I said in my first post?

I’m sorry I’m not clever enough to put pictures on here. We noticed the smell after we’d been on site and hooked up for a couple of days.. we didn’t notice it while driving. The earliest our motor homes/ campervan garage can fit us in is November! This probably doesn’t matter as we won’t be using it now.If we do use it like it I switch the positive wire taped up with electrical tape, I guess we can just lift out the battery and do without it safely as I said in my first post?
Sorry predictive test ! “If we do use it like it is with the positive wire taped up ….”

Some batteries need to be vented externally as they emit toxic fumes when charging. Would need to know what battery it is.. any pictures ? Could also be over cooked by excess charge from the charger.

I’m sorry I’m not clever enough to put pictures on here.

Just had this on a friends van, leisure battery had a shorted cell causing the charger to cook the remaining 'good' cells. The stench was overpowering!
New leisure battery, a check on the charging current & voltages, and all is well. Dont be worried about a leisure battery, its unusual to have any trouble but they dont last forever and this is just one of the ways they can eventually fail.

Back