Roof rack with ladder roller

OrangeHat

Hi,
I have recently bought a SWB T6 which came with roof rails.
I'm looking at getting cross bars AND a roller for loading a canoe(s).
I'm struggling to locate any rollers which are compatible with the bars which fit on the rails.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

You will struggle. I had a look and could not find any. You may need to get one of the full size builders roof racks to get one that works with a roller.

Pete

You will struggle. I had a look and could not find any. You may need to get one of the full size builders roof racks to get one that works with a roller.

Pete
Thanks Pete, I'll keep an eye out and let you know if I come up with a solution...

Cheers. We got around it by selling the massive Canadian Canoe, and buying 2 shorter kayaks which fit inside !

Pete

Cheers. We got around it by selling the massive Canadian Canoe, and buying 2 shorter kayaks which fit inside.

I am looking for a kayak that will fit inside. Which kayaks do you have Pete?

Ian

We have two cheap sit-ons from Decathlon. RTM Mojitos.
They fit in our SWB camper as below - snug but safe.

Pete
E2216277-1EF7-4FBB-9739-245B1DDAAC2D.jpeg

Its quite amazing but everywhere is sold out of kayaks at the moment with the staycation and decent weather. Might wait until next year when people can safely go abroad again and want to sell the ornament (kayak) in the garden.

I guess you have seen this:

Not easily. My roller out-rigger is adjustable (front to back) if I set it, so that I can open the tailgate, it’s not worth having it fitted. It I set it to its full extension, then the spoiler hits it. I’ve used it once, to put a 3m worktop on the roof, on my own. Then removed it allE4D06A14-AEC8-4DA0-9323-F4B287AE0F19.jpeg
This is mine at full out. Hope that’s been some help??

@Markgf is that picture showing the roller fully extended? I was also looking at this rack but I have barn doors

@Markgf is that picture showing the roller fully extended? I was also looking at this rack but I have barn doors
24FD8FC4-53D4-4A92-BB62-0FF9DFD8C484.jpeg
this is the roller bracket that I have. I originally had it on my T6 with barn doors, no spoiler, set up, on max extension. I positioned the bracket, on my previous pic, in the position that it would sit, at the max setting. Hope that all makes senseo_O

View attachment 99469
this is the roller bracket that I have. I originally had it on my T6 with barn doors, no spoiler, set up, on max extension. I positioned the bracket, on my previous pic, in the position that it would sit, at the max setting. Hope that all makes senseo_O

Perfect sense. So the roller with a spoiler seems to be a no go as I would hit the spoiler with anything I was sliding up it before it hit the roller. Thanks for the help

I will be using it for work so it will mostly be timber and any other bits that are too big for in the back
I currently have the vw roof rails and cross bars fitted all the time, for the big ladder, or 3m+ lengths of timber. I’ve kept the old bars and roller in the garage, for the odd occasion I need the roller. Which has been once in the last 3 years. My theory is, if I can’t lift it up there, then it’s to heavy for the bars anyway

I currently have the vw roof rails and cross bars fitted all the time, for the big ladder, or 3m+ lengths of timber. I’ve kept the old bars and roller in the garage, for the odd occasion I need the roller. Which has been once in the last 3 years. My theory is, if I can’t lift it up there, then it’s to heavy for the bars anyway
Makes sense. I didn’t think the roof rail/crossbar setup had a very high weight rating? Do you know what it is?

Don’t quote me, but I think it’s 75Kg’s. The ulti bars are the same. Both flex when you overload them:rolleyes: At least the vw ones have 3 points of contact to the van roof.

E679CAAE-F279-45C4-AFA0-9BF04E9697CF.jpeg
That was epic, back in 2011. A Rhino, with a roller. No flexing that beast

Back