Roof Rack Mounting Bolts

P20

Ambulance driver
VIP Member
T6 Pro
I’ve bought a 2nd hand rack to carry my kayaks. Are the bolts that come with the T6 suitable for mounting a roof rack with or are they just effectively covers? What thread are they? M6?

The OEM replacements I bought were made of metal but probably not long enough to support a roof rack bracket.
My guess is M5 but I don't have one to hand. Will check tonight.

Bolts threads measure up at 6mm (well 5.85mm actually) so pretty sure they will be M6. Hope that helps.
Make sure whatever you install is well sealed as they are prone to letting water in to the van!

Reactions: P20
That’s excellent. The feet of the rack are rubbered so should help with the sealing

Hi just expanding on this. I guess this part of the roof or around the bolt hole is strengthened to allow it to support brackets etc ? Anyone now the max thread depth through the hole ? Looking at using one to mount a CB antenna.

Hi. The standard are just blanks. The size is M6. I fitted some second hand roof rails to my van (didn't come with bolts). I took one of the blanks out and measured the depth and the thickness of the roof rail foot to get the correct length. There are lots of horror stories of getting leaks, the advice was, don't over tighten and put some silicone sealant in the hole. So Dave

Back