Roof platform?

Goolag

I have this idea of fitting a platform on my T6 roof so I can climb up, chill out and do some star gazing
Anyone done this or have any good ideas on how to achieve it

tia

People have used roof bars to fit roof tents like @Blitz but are you thinking of directly on the metal roof?

Easiest way has to be standard OEM roof rails, plus roof bars. I would get 3 roof bars to be confident the load is spread.
Then use U-bolts to clamp a thick piece of chipboard to the bars.

Pete

Easiest way has to be standard OEM roof rails, plus roof bars. I would get 3 roof bars to be confident the load is spread.
Then use U-bolts to clamp a thick piece of chipboard to the bars.

Pete
Like the idea of a roof platform but would you still be able to drive with the chipboard attached? Reason I ask is it would be a royal pain in the ass to have to keep fitting and taking it off every time you want to use it.

I'd go for a full length Rhino roof rack, then infill it using alloy mesh....I'm just about to do something similar to put my SUP onto with all the wetsuits, life vests etc...idea being the water can just drip through enroute home and no worries about odd shaped items poking into my roof.

Think that my standard roof rails and bars are only rated to 50Kg

I'd go for a full length Rhino roof rack, then infill it using alloy mesh....I'm just about to do something similar to put my SUP onto with all the wetsuits, life vests etc...idea being the water can just drip through enroute home and no worries about odd shaped items poking into my roof.
that might work - i could use aluminium checker plate over the gaps
my only reservation is how long the rack is - mine is SWB and i have a fiama bike rack, i need to go measue up

I've got a Front Runner full roof rack on mine and do the same - you can add more roof slats to make it a complete plaftform or maybe add some lightweight plastic decking to that?

I've got a Front Runner full roof rack on mine and do the same - you can add more roof slats to make it a complete plaftform or maybe add some lightweight plastic decking to that?
Any chance of a photo please bud...Front Runner or Rhino is the question for me. I have a SWB with spoiler and tailgate so will be measuring and fettling.

Any chance of a photo please bud...Front Runner or Rhino is the question for me. I have a SWB with spoiler and tailgate so will be measuring and fettling.
sure thing.. here you go.. all the accessories swung it for me.. It's an expensive setup for sure but worth it. I've got no tailgate and no spoiler so I can use the tailgate mounted ladder....when it's fully loaded I can fit a 2.5M ARB awning, spare wheel, 2 MTB's a Wolfpack box, recovery/levelling tracks and 4 surfboards. so loads of room..

I have seen another van with a flat dog rack that looks pretty similar - assume they might be cheaper.

Screenshot 2021-09-08 at 16.46.01.png

Screenshot 2021-09-08 at 16.45.55.png

Screenshot 2021-09-08 at 16.45.45.png

Screenshot 2021-09-08 at 16.44.01.png

My guess is that adding a roof platform and stored bits take’s a T6 from approx’ 38 MPG to less than 30 MPG. That’s a massive cost if you‘re on a long trip.

At current prices, the difference between 38mpg and 28mpg over 1000 miles is £59. Not a massive price to pay for the convenience.

Eh? Are you saying their weight bearing capability increases when stationary

Eh? Are you saying their weight bearing capability increases when stationary

You could put more than 2 bags of cement up there without the roof collapsing, but add the forces of a 60mph wind into the equation and it's a different storey.

Back