What Roof bars or Rack can I fit to my Roof-Prep rails?

Siperrin

Hey guys,
Just a bit of advice. I have the factory roof rack prep on my van but I’m not sure what bars or rack that actually takes.

I’ve tried doing my research and searching on this site but not much info specifically to the prep.

is there a particular type or can I put some OEM rails or bars directly it?

I’m assuming they’ll be no drilling etc

Hi,
Maybe connected, don't know. Son and self spent best part of 4 hours fitting roof rails supplied by Trade_Van_Accessories on sleaze bay. Problem was several, first bolts supplied too short by 2mm, tight gits. Took nearly 2 hours to fit 4 bolts, ridiculous. Then none of the feet, really fitted the groove and was proud. The rubber seats, were really crap, and would not seat into the fitting. So will now have to spend another £11.00 for a tube of sykaflex, to seal. I know there were other manufactures, but not many that do the cross rails, which is the whole point of having roof rails, right?

I have chosen roof rack prep too. I am planning to use Thule 753 with a T track foot system. There are two heights I plan to go with the lower ones (753) personally. (751 are higher).
I went with the roof prep so I could take the roof rack off and move it when required without risk of leaks. I believe this solution gets you good weight rating too.
Please examine this yourself. I have had to work this out myself. Thule Aerobars seem much quieter too than classic side bars.

@Merryman ,look up a thread called "roof rail leak free fixing" this allows you to do it without the Sikaflex etc. Lots of members have used it with good results myself included

I have chosen roof rack prep too. I am planning to use Thule 753 with a T track foot system. There are two heights I plan to go with the lower ones (753) personally. (751 are higher).
I went with the roof prep so I could take the roof rack off and move it when required without risk of leaks. I believe this solution gets you good weight rating too.
Please examine this yourself. I have had to work this out myself. Thule Aerobars seem much quieter too than classic side bars.
This is really helpful thanks mate

@Merryman ,look up a thread called "roof rail leak free fixing" this allows you to do it without the Sikaflex etc. Lots of members have used it with good results myself included
I think doing all that would involve me having to remove the roof rack preparation?

Spot on, quality advice:thumbsup:

No roof rack prep kit fitted, just these single fixing bolts, can you advise a Thule foot that could be anchored just using these bolts please …
Am considering UltiBar as alternative.
Thule site not so helpful with fitting to vehicle instructions ?.

C3CA93CA-BEA3-433C-9F09-D19A8736819F.jpeg

A8C37B5B-A215-4984-B09F-00003421CCC8.jpeg

E6ADE5DC-929E-49A8-8408-5BDBDEB255C7.jpeg

I run Thule Aero Bars on mine with the 753 (I think) foot pack as it sits lower, I have the Factory roof prep rails like you.

I run Thule Aero Bars on mine with the 753 (I think) foot pack as it sits lower, I have the Factory roof prep rails like you.
Hi Ryan
can you send a pic of your fixings please, only the UltiBar (see pic above) seems to be a direct fit using the fixing bolts I’ve got available. No prep rails on mine.
Olly

Hi and thanks for the information, all very sensible.
Please could you elaborate on the 'T track foot system' ? I can find a managory of t track adapters of all different shapes and sizes. Please could you direct me to a part number of what it is / was you used?
Many thanks

Here is the pic of my set up. I’ll see if I can find the footpack number. I have black wheels and these bars are part of the vans look. I way prefer it myself to the classic VW roof rails look36445A81-A539-467F-9303-37BB6778439B.jpeg

Last edited:
Hi and thanks for the information, all very sensible.
Please could you elaborate on the 'T track foot system' ? I can find a managory of t track adapters of all different shapes and sizes. Please could you direct me to a part number of what it is / was you used?
Many thanks
Here are the foot pack and wing bar details. I recommend get the lower fitting of the 751 and 753. I see no reason for the larger ones for any use.

CF92E0FC-926A-40C0-A1CD-345A00D6FE8B.png

Back