Rodent damage

Sophie needs to go back to school, that reply is cringeworthy.

Get something nasty like English mustard and smear it over the harness or there are loads of repellent sprays on Amazon.
Repellent sprays are a good idea - like it

I had this happen to me - I repaired the cables myself covering the repairs in heat shrink and waterproof tape and fingers crossed have had no issues since - I'm convinced its foxes. The problem you might have is VW replacing the wiring with the same original eat me wiring so its going to continue to happen. It might be worth crawling underneath and taping the wires up yourself and tape them up out of the way, they dangle in a very easy to reach way for a fox

Best tackled at source, don’t leave rubbish out and that will reduce the foxes and rats.......needs the whole community to comply!

Best tackled at source, don’t leave rubbish out and that will reduce the foxes and rats.......needs the whole community to comply!
Especially visitors to Cornwall, perhaps?!!

Reactions: DXX
Like it.... VW branded Rodent repellant.......

Are you rural..?

The looms are mostly protected with plastic conduit.... that can be chewed through...

It's not worth the cost of fitting metal conduit at factory as I assume this is a limited problem?

If you can get pic ot locations of the affected cables you might be able to fit your own wrap around metal cable protection.?

Maybe try a monthly application of rodent spray.?

Maybe get a cheap Trail cctv camera to catch the Fillans in action?...( I've used one before to prove a rat problem to a landlord for a customer)

Are you rural..?

The looms are mostly protected with plastic conduit.... that can be chewed through...

It's not worth the cost of fitting metal conduit at factory as I assume this is a limited problem?

If you can get pic ot locations of the affected cables you might be able to fit your own wrap around metal cable protection.?

Maybe get a cheap Trail cctv camera to catch the Fillans in action?...( I've used one before to prove a rat problem to a landlord for a customer)
FYI . . .

we used one like this.

1615636347334.png

theres also a new mini version too . . . .

1615636443221.png1615636459164.png1615636473123.png

Useful to know this is a problem. Can someone share a photo of which cables are affected please, as I will probably tackle this proactively when my van arrives.

But won’t be using mustard - remember my dad doing that years ago after our dog chewed a phone cable. Turns out the dog liked mustard a lot, and chewed right through it...along with skirting it was fixed to! But then Labs will generally eat pretty much anything

Not sure the photo I took will help you identify the location but basically crawl under behind the back of the front wheels and look up when your halfway across - any dangling cables are vulnerable

6DE446C5-BC72-4A0B-B505-CAACBFC307D8.jpeg

Reactions: Ozi

Are you rural..?

No not rural mate, none of my neighbours have had a problem with chewed cables, in fact No one I know has. Seems a very easy problem for VW
Not sure the photo I took will help you identify the location but basically crawl under behind the back of the front wheels and look up when your halfway across - any dangling cables are vulnerable

View attachment 108068

View attachment 108068
Thanks for posting the photo, I can’t believe that VW are happy to have such a obvious design flaw and do absolutely nothing about it.

View attachment 108068
Very useful pic. Thanks for posting. That will be crawling under my van tomorrow

Pine Martins are a known cause of such issues in Germany (where they are known as Marda), and have been for years. When I lived near Munich, I had a CV joint gator, cooling hoses and HT leads chewed through. There are loads of “remedies” to address the problem over there and I generally kept a Loo-blu type disinfectant block hanging in the engine bay with the theory that the smell would put them off. It was when I didn’t that I had issues.
I believe Pine Martin’s are making a bit of a come back in UK...

Pine Martins are a known cause of such issues in Germany (where they are known as Marda), and have been for years. When I lived near Munich, I had a CV joint gator, cooling hoses and HT leads chewed through. There are loads of “remedies” to address the problem over there and I generally kept a Loo-blu type disinfectant block hanging in the engine bay with the theory that the smell would put them off. It was when I didn’t that I had issues.
I believe Pine Martin’s are making a bit of a come back in UK...
They are indeed up here which is welcome news as they prey on the grey squirrels. Our reds evolved many moons ago to detect the scent of the pine martens and avoid them. The greys, being introduced, have not learned this yet and so get preyed upon. Love my VW’s tubes but I love the sight of reds in my garden more...

Back