Rodent damage

I'd bait up some rodent boxes (cheap of ebay) and place 3 or 4 flush to outside walls around the van. Rats tend to stick to walls when moving around. It's a long game, just keep baiting them up and they will dimish but never go away.
We have a cottage in the country and we learned to live with them by controlling their environment. Dont give them hiding places, copious amounts of bleach splashed
around....good luck

Update on my chewed cables - i bought a carista and used this to clear the engine light which was still on after I repaired my chewed cables. The light comes back on after driving for about 10 minutes and now I have the yellow adblue sign with the spanner so dropped into my local VW Centre to get it booked in. Started to explain the situation to one of the guys there - as soon as i mentioned the adblue sign with a spanner he said - you must have chewed cables by a fox. This is clearly a very common problem in London, I know one other T6 owner locally and its happened to him as well. The moral of this tale is get under your van and tie those cables up out the way or cover them with something horrible tasting,

so had another look under the van today due to the adblue warning light with spanner - more chewed cables :mad: - bring back fox hunting!! I'm assuming the silver metal block thing is some kind of sensor for the adblue ?

IMG_9639.JPGIMG_9638.JPG

• Wow
Reactions: mmi
Good news is there was enough wire left to allow me to rejoin the cables, quick spin round the block and the warning light and 650 miles to go has reset to 4500 miles to go and no warning lights- now what to do about the fox :sneaky:

Audi do an anti Marten kit in Germany which you may be able to buy through TPS.
It is a a loop around the engine bay with six emitters to attract them, when they bite the cable they get zapped but not looked into it so don’t know the full details.

when we had the motorhome, i forgot about a cadbury egg i had left in my cup holder on the dash, little buggers ate it all and mustve spat out the foil, plenty of hiding places in the motorhome for them, but we did get it with mouse traps and a cat!

I hung a loo-blu in the engine bay to deter them when I lived in Germany (predominantly Pine Martins there). Never had an issue while one was fitted.
Another popular method was a wooden frame with chicken wire pinned across it about an inch above the ground. If you make the frame as close to full width under the van as possible and slide it underneath when parked, they apparently don’t like walking across it.

I have never used these devices myself but I have seen them installed on good few "for hire" vehicles(Enterprise particularly) over in Poland.
There is huge online selection of them (ranging from £10 up to £70)

Reactions: mmi
Hi all, seem to have had an issue with a mouse getting into my engine bay just in front of the battery where a small cover was knocked off.
Have any others here had issues with mice and if so what did you do to get rid of the problem?
I have put the black plastic cover back and have put a few mouse pellets in a small plastic container just in front of the battery so should I get any revisits hopefully it'll eat the pellets.

Hi all, seem to have had an issue with a mouse getting into my engine bay just in front of the battery where a small cover was knocked off.
Have any others here had issues with mice and if so what did you do to get rid of the problem?
I have put the black plastic cover back and have put a few mouse pellets in a small plastic container just in front of the battery so should I get any revisits hopefully it'll eat the pellets.
Can’t think of anything else you could do after the pellets, to be honest! People get a bit miffed if you lock a cat in there too!!!

There have been other threads on here about mice doing damage - worth a quick forum search.

Pete

I know it can be considered cruel, but a sticky board will neutralise the problem up there.

Hi all,

I posted back in September when I was struck in France for a week due to a adblue issue. Since then it’s had to go back twice, once to sort out the adblue again and recently to address oil and engine warning lights.

Prior to going on holiday in August I had the Van serviced earlier than scheduled as the engine management light was on. I was told that the cause of this was rodents chewing the wiring, this cost me £250 for the dealership to rectify. I wasn’t shown any photos as evidence, I had to take their word for it.

Took van in again a couple of weeks ago as warning lights were back on to be told that its been got at again by rodents...again!! Service manager said he’d seen it loads of times both with VWs and other makes, said the problem Is that they use soya in the cable sleeving! I asked why they’re not protected and he said they are??!!

I raised a complaint and received the reply below, the way its written suggests to me it’s from an overseas call centre. I cant get my head round why VW would knowingly manufacture vehicles with this easily preventable weakness then not even let me know after the first occurrence that they sell a product that would give some protection.

I feel completely let down by VW and just want to get rid of the van now before it happens again and costs me more money,

cheers for reading,

Mick.

Dear Leigh Property Solutions Ltd.

Thank you for contacting myself at customer care.

In response to your email regarding the damage that you have got on your vehicle.

I am really sorry that you require further confirmations on the questions raised below. Having looked into this further I can confirm we are unable to comment on the production choice made by factory.

With regards to a protection against rodents our Volkswagen Van centre do sell a subtitle repellent please contact your nearest Van Centre to purchase if you wish to do so.

Thank you for giving me chance respond and clearly set out Volkswagen final position.

Kind regards

Sophie Watters
Customer Relations Manager

Volkswagen Commercial Vehicles

T
0800 783 4909
E customercare@vwcv.co.uk
Internet: www.volkswagen-vans.co.uk

Another example of trying to do the right thing for the environment but ends up actually costing the environment more because it has to be repaired! We do try and over complicate things!

I wonder is a decent auto electrician would be better and specify the wiring / sleeving for a non tasty type?

It’s vegan, right?!!

Joking aside, this is sounding ridiculous and VW need to pull their finger out. I would definitely remind them that you’ve spent good money with them to address the problem only to hear afterwards that they just did half the job on a known issue.

Back