Ripped My Roof : (

This is the one we used but it is a bit pricey for one job
windscreen tool
otherwise i'm stumped :(
That does look exactly what I need, but like you say, it's pricey for a one off. I'm going to try this one on Amazon, just over a tenner.
71Js38XggKL._SL1500_.jpg
It doesn't look as good as the one you linked to but I'll give it a try and if it's not up to it on Sunday then I'll order the better one. Thanks :thumbsup:

Would chalk dust or talcum powder help as a lube for the rubber strip?

Would chalk dust or talcum powder help as a lube for the rubber strip?
I'll give it a try, I've got a bottle of baby powder somewhere :whistle:

I took up Amazon's offer of a week's Prime for 99p and ordered that tool. They can deliver to my home tomorrow - I'm at work. They can deliver to my work Sun - I'm at home :confused:
So I've had to request delivery at home on Sunday, between 7am and 10pm, you just know it's going to come at 9.55pm so it's another week before I can try it :rolleyes:

I am thinking a No2 screwdriver with the end cut off and the sharp edges smoothed off to push the rubber strip into the groove.
I have made something similar to adjust the collars on my Nitron Shocks.
Tool.jpg

I am thinking a No2 screwdriver with the end cut off and the sharp edges smoothed off to push the rubber strip into the groove.
I have made something similar to adjust the collars on my Nitron Shocks.
View attachment 43169
I did wander round the house and garage trying any piece of metal or plastic that looked about the right size, but if this tool doesn't work then I'll try something like that. I'm hoping it will work as it looks as if it can hold the rubber strip while pushing it in which should remove the need for me to grow a third hand!

6:30pm and still no sign :( So annoying, I don't very often get a whole day free, weather has been perfect and the heat softens the rubber too. During the day I've tried everything I possibly can to fit it, but many of the tools and stuff I've tried I've abandoned quickly as anything too rounded slips off and could end up ripping it again :eek:IMG_3585.JPG At least I've managed to get the top of the canvas into the channel, secured by pieces of 8mm split trunking cut into 1" pieces and pushed in as I went round, holding it in place with woodworking clamps every couple of feet. This will mean that I can use both hands to get the rubber in when the tool arrives
IMG_6440.JPG

At least I got to test my new solar controller, immediately went past the 10A limit of my old one at only 10:30 in the morning. Probably would have had much higher readings later but I had to unplug the solar leads as I wanted to shorten them, wrap them together in loom tape, and then keep them out of the way while working on the roof.
IMG_1433.PNG
Other than that, I had to busy myself only doing things in the front garden and cleaning the inside of the van etc as I didn't want to miss the delivery. And lots of coffee. Ridiculous in this day and age that online companies like Amazon give you a 15 hour window, during which you're tied to the house. Nearly 7 now and still not here.

I am an utter wuckfit! I have been trying to push the rubber strip into the channel on the outside of the canvas bead, despite taking loads of photos and even describing the fact that it was fitted to the INSIDE of the canvas on the top section. Don't know if it would make any difference but the channel may well be shaped to only fit properly like that. Why don't I go back and read my own observations?! Delivery still not here and I've put the van back in the garage now. Thanks Amazon.

I am an utter wuckfit! I have been trying to push the rubber strip into the channel on the outside of the canvas bead, despite taking loads of photos and even describing the fact that it was fitted to the INSIDE of the canvas on the top section. Don't know if it would make any difference but the channel may well be shaped to only fit properly like that. Why don't I go back and read my own observations?! Delivery still not here and I've put the van back in the garage now. Thanks Amazon.
At least you have managed to figure it out. Has it all gone back together well?

At least you have managed to figure it out. Has it all gone back together well?
No, no further on, the tool still hasn't arrived. Just hoping for some fine weather in the evenings later on in the week and have another go, nearly 2 weeks til I get another day off.

No, no further on, the tool still hasn't arrived. Just hoping for some fine weather in the evenings later on in the week and have another go, nearly 2 weeks til I get another day off.
Very frustrating. Bet Amazon will turn up at 22:00

My roof has a metal channel as well and the canvas is ‘fixed’ into it although it is a different design and the rubber is actually attached to the canvas and it is then in the slot.
I rang my manufacturer to ask how to get the canvas out because, unlike yours, there is no rubber strip to pull out as it is fixed to the canvas so it looked pretty imoveable.
They said to remove pull really really hard and it will come out, to put back in you evidently position it then use a rubber mallet and tap it back into the metal slot.
I don’t know if this is helpful or not but would a rubber mallet work for you?

My roof has a metal channel as well and the canvas is ‘fixed’ into it although it is a different design and the rubber is actually attached to the canvas and it is then in the slot.
I rang my manufacturer to ask how to get the canvas out because, unlike yours, there is no rubber strip to pull out as it is fixed to the canvas so it looked pretty imoveable.
They said to remove pull really really hard and it will come out, to put back in you evidently position it then use a rubber mallet and tap it back into the metal slot.
I don’t know if this is helpful or not but would a rubber mallet work for you?
Thanks , I did try a rubber mallet but it was too wide to push it in the channel.

Anyway, happy to report it’s sorted. Equally happy to admit that I didn’t do it...

I decided I needed to get this sorted as I have no more free days off before I had planned to go on a few trips in it so decided to take a days holiday. I was out in the van for 8am with the tool I’d ordered and after spending 3 hours on it, it was obvious it’s just beyond me, I don’t have the physical strength to hold the canvas in the right place while doing it, and I just couldn’t seem to get enough force on the tool to get both ridges of the rubber sealing strip in as my left elbow and right thumb tendon don’t have much strength as a result of an old motorbike accident. At one point I got about a metre of the canvas fixed in but as I got to the first corner and tried to stretch it round, it all came undone behind me :(

In desperation I hit google and found a place in Doncaster I’d not heard of that does conversions, so rather than make a phone call and describe the issue I just drove to Donny and turned up on their doorstep.

And what a bunch of stars! The outfit is called Doncaster Van Conversions tucked behind a garage down a side street in Balby, so you wouldn’t come across them by accident, and they were in the middle of doing 2 very nice conversions when I arrived, a T6 and a Boxer. The owner, Lee, dropped what he was doing and started on it straight away. Sure enough it was an absolute barsteward of a job, even for someone 20yrs younger than me who knows what they’re doing, and it took him 2hrs in the baking sun to get it back on. But he did it, and it’s finally sorted :thumbsup:

Couldn’t recommend these guys highly enough, the standard of the work in the other vans they were doing was tremendous and they were a great bunch of lads who quite obviously enjoy their work. I wish I’d found them earlier, would have made my life a lot easier, I’ll certainly be back so I’m giving them a plug, Doncaster Van Conversions, Balby, Doncaster.

Thanks , I did try a rubber mallet but it was too wide to push it in the channel.

Anyway, happy to report it’s sorted. Equally happy to admit that I didn’t do it...

I decided I needed to get this sorted as I have no more free days off before I had planned to go on a few trips in it so decided to take a days holiday. I was out in the van for 8am with the tool I’d ordered and after spending 3 hours on it, it was obvious it’s just beyond me, I don’t have the physical strength to hold the canvas in the right place while doing it, and I just couldn’t seem to get enough force on the tool to get both ridges of the rubber sealing strip in as my left elbow and right thumb tendon don’t have much strength as a result of an old motorbike accident. At one point I got about a metre of the canvas fixed in but as I got to the first corner and tried to stretch it round, it all came undone behind me :(

In desperation I hit google and found a place in Doncaster I’d not heard of that does conversions, so rather than make a phone call and describe the issue I just drove to Donny and turned up on their doorstep.

And what a bunch of stars! The outfit is called Doncaster Van Conversions tucked behind a garage down a side street in Balby, so you wouldn’t come across them by accident, and they were in the middle of doing 2 very nice conversions when I arrived, a T6 and a Boxer. The owner, Lee, dropped what he was doing and started on it straight away. Sure enough it was an absolute barsteward of a job, even for someone 20yrs younger than me who knows what they’re doing, and it took him 2hrs in the baking sun to get it back on. But he did it, and it’s finally sorted :thumbsup:

Couldn’t recommend these guys highly enough, the standard of the work in the other vans they were doing was tremendous and they were a great bunch of lads who quite obviously enjoy their work. I wish I’d found them earlier, would have made my life a lot easier, I’ll certainly be back so I’m giving them a plug, Doncaster Van Conversions, Balby, Doncaster.
Recommend a business

That's great news, and fair play to Doncaster Van Conversions, they sound like a great bunch.

Put the roof up as soon as I got back to get some of the creases out of it. No solar wiring visible on the outside now, and the holes where they went through the canvas repaired by a section taken out by the rip, which looks completely OE.
IMG_8891.JPG
Not so great on the inside though. I'd asked them to stitch a fabric pocket down the inside front centre to feed the solar cables through, and the guy I spoke to said he knew exactly what I meant, but what they've put in is so tight and narrow, with no give in it at all, and hard against the top and bottom of the roof such that you'd be hard pressed to get a length of 5A fuse wire through it, so useless. I've managed to tuck one of the wires bwtween pocket and canvas for part of its drop, but not the other. It's still better than it was before, but a missed opportunity.
Here you can see the repair section they put in. It would have been better if they'd maybe taken it down to the bottom, or at least the bottom of the window. The harsh sun also makes the colour match look better than it really is, and that the material is different. If I could stand going through all this again I'd take it off and get them to redo it, but I can't and at least it's strong and watertight.
IMG_7689.JPG

Back