Ripped My Roof : (

andys

Ex member
VIP Member
T6 Legend
Went out to clean the van this morning after last week's hol and unstrapped the roof to push it up. As I did so I heard a tearing sound and still being half asleep it took me a fraction of a second to grasp what it was and grab the roof handle and yank it down quickly, but not quick enough. Somehow the buckle had caught in the canvas and it has left a huge rip in the side of the roof

IMG_5012.JPG
Absolutely gutted :( I feel sick looking at the pic.

I take off for a fortnight in Europe in 4 weeks time so I have to have it useable by then. The only thing I can think of to make a temporary repair is to glue a piece of canvas over the tear, maybe one on either side? But where do I get some canvas from, it needs to be proper waterproof canvas and approx the right colour so it doesn't stand out too bad.

So if/when I can get it watertight temporarily for my hol, then what do I do? I take it they can't be 'invisibly mended' so is it a whole new canvas? And who even does work like that, given that it's not an off-the-shelf UK made roof? Any ideas would be gratefully received.

And Barry Chuckle has died, what a sh!t day this is so far :(

Google brings up a company called Vanscape offering repairs, anyone had any experience of them?

This isnt as daft as it sounds, when we ripped ours a few years ago we went to a sailmaker who was able to fix it. I have done a google and found these who are, I think, close to you Sail Register - Covers & Sails
I know nothing about them but worth a call.
Hope you get sorted our hearts go out to you.

Gutted for you mate sure there are plenty of people who can sort it for you.
Sad news about the chuckle brother :(

I put a very tiny hole in mine and had a piece of original fabric glued over the top of it (with a corresponding piece on the other side so it didn’t look odd).
The problem you may face is that it is torn up to the zip, therefore you may struggle to glue a piece right up to that point.
A sail maker is definately someone who could assist. As to what to do as a “full” repair, short of replacing the entire fabric, goodness knows.

The Mrs commented about doing a serious of stitches across the tear and around the top to stop it getting worse.
When I put a hole in mine I used sail tape to get me through. It’s got an adhesive back and like it’s name suggests is used for repairing sails so is able to take the punishment of a bit of wind. Any sailing shop/ sail maker will stock it.
Sailing Equipment & Clothing, Dinghy and Yacht Chandlery

I can second the use of sail tape, I fixed a rip in our awning with it and ended up never getting it fixed, the tape lasted the life of the awning and never leaked.

you can order pieces of canvas from ebay,stitch some in and blather it with tent sealer.Doubt it would be difficult to find someone to replace the entire side when you get back,if you can"t find a colour match then have both sides replaced.

Perhaps similar to tent repair kit, as above, but I’ve used stick-on goretex patches for similar problems in the past, they may not be pretty but should get you off on holibobs...

This isnt as daft as it sounds, when we ripped ours a few years ago we went to a sailmaker who was able to fix it. I have done a google and found these who are, I think, close to you Sail Register - Covers & Sails
I know nothing about them but worth a call.
Hope you get sorted our hearts go out to you.
Great idea thanks, that is near me I'll give them a call tomorrow.

The Mrs commented about doing a serious of stitches across the tear and around the top to stop it getting worse.
When I put a hole in mine I used sail tape to get me through. It’s got an adhesive back and like it’s name suggests is used for repairing sails so is able to take the punishment of a bit of wind. Any sailing shop/ sail maker will stock it.
Sailing Equipment & Clothing, Dinghy and Yacht Chandlery
That's a good point about putting some stitches in the end to stop it going further :thumbsup: I had tried gaffa/duct/fibreglass/waterproof repair tapes and none of them seemed to stick properly, you could see them bagging (not a real word) away as the roof creased up and down. I think it's because the slightly waterproof nature of the canvas repels the adhesive a bit, sail tape sounds ideal, I'd never heard of it before and I've ordered some. I found a couple of canvas repair kits online, but the patches weren't big enough to cover the horrendous gaping hole. I'll see what I can turn up with a few phone calls tomorrow, but at least that sail tape should hold it temporariy.

Thanks for all the suggestions

That's a good point about putting some stitches in the end to stop it going further :thumbsup: I had tried gaffa/duct/fibreglass/waterproof repair tapes and none of them seemed to stick properly, you could see them bagging (not a real word) away as the roof creased up and down. I think it's because the slightly waterproof nature of the canvas repels the adhesive a bit, sail tape sounds ideal, I'd never heard of it before and I've ordered some. I found a couple of canvas repair kits online, but the patches weren't big enough to cover the horrendous gaping hole. I'll see what I can turn up with a few phone calls tomorrow, but at least that sail tape should hold it temporariy.

Thanks for all the suggestions
Good luck.

Absolutely no luck whatsoever finding anywhere that will do either a temporary repair or a more permanent one, so spent the evening seeing what I could do myself. First of all sewed the L shape rip together using a curved upholsterer's needle and some thread as I dont think the sail repair tape I have would have held it together due it being under stress when the top's up.
This wasn't much fun as I'm crap at sewing, had trouble getting a big enough knot to stop the thread pulling through, and was at the top of a stepladder in strong wind.
IMG_5093.JPG

IMG_5094.JPG

Once I'd managed to do that, I covered each tear with sail repair tape on both sides

IMG_5095.JPG

IMG_5096.JPG

Despite ordering grey it looks very green against the canvas so sticks out like a sore thumb. I'm a bit concerned whether the tape will hold, it didn't seem to be very well stuck and was very easy to peel away at the edges, does the adhesive set better after a period of time? I'm reluctant to glue a patch or tape over in case it screws up any chance of a professional repair.
Anyway that will have to do, I'm off to Europe in just less than 3 weeks so I'll have to carry on looking for a more permanent fix when I get back. I'll also be taking the needle, thread and tape with me just in case.

@DaveyB or @Davenjo may have some experience with sail repairs, but from my limited experience of sailing the sails do take a beating in the wind and take the brunt of the force, so you'd expect the tape to have a degree of strength. I maybe wrong.....

Hi,
I do work for a vehicle upholster, who does lots of re-upholstery for conversion companies, he often has to repair roof fabric damaged during installation.
If there is a conversion company near to you you could try asking them who they use for their repairs.
Hope you get sorted.

I would speak to the supplier of the roof,ask for a m2 of matching fabric.. then cut to shape,so that it goes round window from the top.. this will help prevent water ingress from above. Then double stitch it or get someone like mrs @BiTurbo to stitch..
If the thread is the correct type then the wetter it gets the more it swells and seals thread hole..
Not very technical but will help with looks and sealing.

Back