Reversing camera retrofit (OEM)

Got my original camera install finished this weekend.

Sharing my experience for those who might like to repeat. I have zero experience with cars so if I can do it, you can do it too.

Part numbers needed:
  • 7E0980121 - Camera, got mine for 34 quid used
  • 7E0980561A - camera housing, £9 new
    Also, There is also a version of the camera housing that has a tailgate unlock/lift button as well as water spray for the camera integrated. I did not find the part number for this one so had to go with the standard.

• 7E0807151 - end cap to hold camera inside housing, £17 (ouch!!! vag charge rudiculous price for such a tiny part)
  • wiring loom, got mine from carsystems.eu for 40 EUR, Kufatec also sell similar wiring loom
Carsystems don't supply install manuals with their wiring looms so I had to figure out the detail from various sources.

It's a bit cold over here now so had to also find a warm (and free) shopping centre car park.
The panel on the tailgate unclips more or less easy. A bit of insulation fell out when I opened it.

IMG_20210118_163435.jpg

Applied some masking tape and cut a hole using dremel.

IMG_20210112_180906.jpg

It is easier to cut the back line from inside. This can help you avoid scratching the tailgate from outside.

IMG_20210112_180855.jpg

A bit of filing and filling the bare metail with automotive touch up paint of similar colour (the inside of tailgate is painted with a different colour

IMG_20210118_163938.jpg
IMG_20210118_162535.jpg
After a bit of drying, I put the camera parts together. Note the foam piece I had to cut out - even though I got all original parts, the camera was still loose after inserting the end cap. Maybe my second-hand camera had something missing?
IMG_20210115_162623.jpg

Next got my new cable pull through out

IMG_20210118_161806.jpg

and started pulling the wiring loom from the tailgate towards the front. For RHD it will be from the rubber grommet still on the left side of the roof.
I had pulled mine to the roof and left the rest to be done by soundproofers when they took the interior apart. Later took over the cable from the A-bar and used same pullthrough to get the wire to the stereo which I already took out.

IMG_20210128_163625.jpg

I posted previously the pic where the signal pins go in the quadlock at the back of the stereo. Kufatec also recommend to connect the Positive and Negative at the back of the stereo as well as reverse signal under the drivers dash (carsystems wiring loom assumes you connect these at the back of the rear light) so I extended these wires to go to the front as well. The connection is done to Pins 17 and 8 for +/- as shown:

IMG_20210129_112430.jpg
IMG_20210129_115948.jpg
I noted this one as a good source of stable Positive to be used for other things later.

The last wire goes to the signal for reverse - it is in the white connector under the steering wheel, green/black wire, pin 12.
Carsystems assume you will connect directly to the reverse light at the back but I feared the PWM might cause troubles so I did the German way as stated by Kufatec so there it went to the front. Ironically, it might be the same wire that comes out from the back anyway, I haven't seen the wiring diagram so I don't know.

Coding the camera in two places using VCDS was simple for the first-time user.
Here's the final result:
IMG_20210129_130559.jpg
IMG_20210130_125302.jpg

Hopefully this will make it easier for others to follow. Good luck!

T6.1 composition colour.

Can anyone confirm if a reversing camera fits the composition colour or if you need the navigation unit upgrade?

Ta

Still getting used to the forum.. I’ve had a search but can’t find what I’m after.

I have a T6 T32 highline which includes the VW navigation headunit and rear parking sensors. I want to fit the genuine VW camera above the numberplate, but I’m not interested in the steering guide lines overlay because they just get in the way.

Is any of the wiring already there? Where would be the best place to get parts? Could it be coded with my OBDEleven or would it need to be VCDS?

Apologies if there is a glaringly obvious guide that I have missed!

have a look here:

Here's another link from the Forum that should give you a video of an installation:
[Guide] How to retrofit a reversing camera Video

There will be no wiring present. Some time ago, I bought a kit which included the loom an camera from the Forum shop when it existed. This is another source Genuine Volkswagen OEM Retrofit Kit - Rear View Camera - VW T6 | VAG-TEC E-shop which you will see are tailgate or barn-door specific.

I was having my van converted so had the converters fit mine, but I believe there may be a need to code the camera to the van.

Here’s another link, if you’ve got the base head unit then you need an expensive interface module to make it work but it bumps the cost up a lot.

Reverse camera head unit

You can buy the parts through @Absolut5 and he is great for giving you all the available options including head unit upgrades if it comes to that.

Still getting used to the forum.. I’ve had a search but can’t find what I’m after.

I have a T6 T32 highline which includes the VW navigation headunit and rear parking sensors. I want to fit the genuine VW camera above the numberplate, but I’m not interested in the steering guide lines overlay because they just get in the way.

Is any of the wiring already there? Where would be the best place to get parts? Could it be coded with my OBDEleven or would it need to be VCDS?

Apologies if there is a glaringly obvious guide that I have missed!
Hi Mike.

Any particular why you want the genuine one. I can supply both genuine and aftermarket.

Cheers Chris

Hi Mike.

Any particular why you want the genuine one. I can supply both genuine and aftermarket.

Cheers Chris
I'm open to any suggestions.. Just presumed the OEM camera would fit easily into the standard position. Any more details?

We can fit the aftermarket one no problem works great and it's more subtle than the OEM one. Our gridlones can be turned off

IMG_20211127_210550_607.jpg

IMG_20211110_214957_046.jpg

20211127_124003.jpg

Yes we can adjust it to suit we can make an adapter that you won't see to angle it down slightly

Great for hooking up! Saves SWMBO screaming “a bit more”…..which is a phrase not uttered frequently in this household!
By the way, for those who were offended - “hooking up” is the term used for attaching a trailer or caravan.

I can supply you just the camera buddy yes, there no instructions though it would just be the components
That's ok, i've done many a VW retrofit, should be able to manage it. :thumbsup:

Similar pin-outs to the oem RVC?

How are the gridlines switched - like some of the others out there with a small dip switch? Upgraded Reversing Camera 1280x720p Camera Integrated in Number Plate Light License Rear View Backup camera compatible for Touran Passat Jetta Caddy Golf Plus Multivan T5 Transporter Skoda Superb: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics & Photo

No there a wire loop that gets cut and yes it's the same pins as the other RVC systems like discover media etc

Back