Reverse sensors not working

monty999

I have a T6 2018 with parking sensors and park pilot not working. After having a look underneath, I’m sure that they were factory fitted. The vehicle has only done 6k miles ( previous owner fell ill shortly after purchase and sadly passed away so hence hardly any use). I’m sure that nothing would have broken down within this usage but the vehicle was not used for over 12 months waiting for probate/ will to be sorted so quite possibly the battery may have drained until bought by myself last April. Would this have any effect regarding coding. Any thoughts appreciated.

I have a T6 2018 with parking sensors and park pilot not working. After having a look underneath, I’m sure that they were factory fitted. The vehicle has only done 6k miles ( previous owner fell ill shortly after purchase and sadly passed away so hence hardly any use). I’m sure that nothing would have broken down within this usage but the vehicle was not used for over 12 months waiting for probate/ will to be sorted so quite possibly the battery may have drained until bought by myself last April. Would this have any effect regarding coding. Any thoughts appreciated.
Hi, sorry for the bump up but would appreciate any guidance as to where to look at. Had a look today and they are definitely factory fitted, took some of the headlining board down at the back and seen the vw sicker on the wiring loom going to the front.
Then looked at connections underneath passenger double seat and all seems fine. Not sure where to look next for any issue. Where does the factory fit sensors pick up the feed from. Any input appreciated, cheers.

Do you have a switch on the dash to switch off the parking sensors? If not, they won't be factory fit sensors.

Might be worth getting your self a cheap scan tool and see what error codes the van is reporting, information will be basic but should give you a bit of direction for fault finding

Do you have a switch on the dash to switch off the parking sensors? If not, they won't be factory fit sensors.
You only get the switch if you have full sensors front and rear
Vehicles with rear only dont get the switch

That’s right Pauly, only got rear sensors, and definitely factory fit from looking underneath at the sensors and the wiring loom in the roof at the back. They have never worked since I picked up the can but, as per circumstance above, wouldn’t think anything has broken since the van had only done 3900 miles. Do you think it could be a coding issue maybe, particularly as it had stood for a period unused ?

Just another thought, if someone has pressed the factory reset on the head unit, could this be the problem ?
The head unit is the one with just
Radio. Eject
Media. Setup
Phone. Sound
( Hardware 056)
Is this composition colour unit maybe ?

Currently investigating park assist failure on FiLs Audi A5 (with dash button). Fault code says its the beeper which is a £10 part necessitating 4 hours of stripping out rear seats and boot trim panels to fit it!

I think you need to check for fault codes.

No tow bar. There is no evidence of a reverse system when reverse is selected, radio just plays as normal. As I mentioned before, I wonder if factory resetting the head unit deletes any coded options such as the reverse system / park pilot ??
I will try to do a scan with my cheap obd scanner but may require a more detailed scan.

No tow bar. There is no evidence of a reverse system when reverse is selected, radio just plays as normal. As I mentioned before, I wonder if factory resetting the head unit deletes any coded options such as the reverse system / park pilot ??
I will try to do a scan with my cheap obd scanner but may require a more detailed scan.
Ok. I believe tow bar system is linked in to parking sensors as I had an issue with park pilot system. Mine was a blown circuit board within towbar system, fixed that which sorted park pilot

Resetting the headunit won’t effect the operation of the sensors
The most common issue is moisture in one of the plugs, this causes the sensor to be unreadable and in turn shuts down the whole park assist system

Thanks for the input chaps, have scanned with my cheapo obd scanner and no faults detected (didn’t expect it to check for reverse sensor circuit tbh). If the problem was moisture in one of the sensors would that mean that nothing would happen when reverse is selected, either screen change or noise ? Had a listen and no ticking or noise from any of the sensors when in reverse. Probably have to go to someone who can recode if necessary. I’ll unplug the sensors and give them a good blow through and maybe test for any voltage while I’m there.

Ok, my neighbour kindly brought home the scanner from his works tonight and plugged in. Fault shows as the buzzer. Anyone know the location of it please ? Cheers

Ok, my neighbour kindly brought home the scanner from his works tonight and plugged in. Fault shows as the buzzer. Anyone know the location of it please ? Cheers

It's kinda complicated :p

TLDR: in your van front buzzer is used and it's located next to the PDC module under dash on the left side of the connection hub. It's accessed straight up from drivers footwell - the panel above pedals has to be removed.

1709668887428.png

Complicated version:
  • Since October 2018, there's no separate front / rear buzzers, front buzzer is used for both
  • Vehicles with rear parking aid only don't have a rear buzzer, front buzzer is used instead
  • Multivan / Caravelle / California: rear buzzer at lower part of left D-pillar
  • Other vans: rear buzzer at upper part of left B-pillar

Last edited:
Thanks for that, like you say looks like a proper complicated affair to just replace a buzzer, I might get my head stuck in the pedals whilst doing this .

It's kinda complicated :p

TLDR: in your van front buzzer is used and it's located next to the PDC module under dash on the left side of the connection hub. It's accessed straight up from drivers footwell - the panel above pedals has to be removed.

View attachment 231905

Complicated version:
  • Since October 2018, there's no separate front / rear buzzers, front buzzer is used for both
  • Vehicles with rear parking aid only don't have a rear buzzer, front buzzer is used instead
  • Multivan / Caravelle / California: rear buzzer at lower part of left D-pillar
  • Other vans: rear buzzer at upper part of left B-pillar
Well you were right, a right pita accessing and removing screws and plug. It’s out now, tested and seems dead so got one coming tomorrow. I’ll update if it fixes the system. It did say on the professional garage scanner laptop which my neighbour brought home that it was a known/ common issue. Thanks all for your help. Fingers crossed.

Just an update for those who replied or anyone who might have had same issue, new buzzer( £7 non gen) sorted. Bit of a tight squeeze under the steering wheel but doable. And thankfully all working, cheers all.

Back