reverse camera no longer working after camper conversion

Dmedia

2017 T6 LWB - the reverse camera and park assist have just stopped working. This shouldn't be an issue except that we had the rear of the van fitted out as a campervan and the fitout had panels screwed and glued, so removing them will cause damage and expensive repairs. There is also a fitting for powering trailer lights and I did read somewhere that this can interfere with the whole reversing/parking assist thing.

VW told me that the wiring to the Controller box may(!) from any of the sensors is the likely cause because if any single sensor fails then the whole system stops working. The problem is, they weren't exactly sure where the controller box is situated which therefore means we'd have to remove more of the fitout than we need to in order for them to find it. I believe it might be somewhere near the left wheel arch.

Their explanation seems a bit odd and I was wondering if anyone has any knowledge of these things and if so could offer their opinion.

My other option is to just get an aftermarket camera fitted but the wiring will also be an issue as we don't have access to the existing loom (at the point in which it exits the tailgate.

Any thoughts?

first; a scan of the van to see if the radar controller is showing any faults
2) have a radar sensor and disconnect them under the bumper to test which one is faulty
3) do you have the screen that switches to parking / assist mode
4) see if the camera is not unplugged in the rag

A scan would be the obvious first thing to do, see what fault codes you have and this should give you some direction for troubleshooting

first; a scan of the van to see if the radar controller is showing any faults
2) have a radar sensor and disconnect them under the bumper to test which one is faulty
3) do you have the screen that switches to parking / assist mode
4) see if the camera is not unplugged in the rag
Is it true that if one sensor doesn't work then the whole unit fails? Seems a bit like a christmas lights scenario.

This has just happened to my 2016 T6 LWB Kombi.. I did all the resets etc and diced into the rabbit hole of Carly Vs carista but luckily while filling up at my local garage, a mechanic came out to see if I wanted to sell the van! Long story short.. he scanned the fault for a tenner cash, detected the front offside middle sensor had gone. Ordered a new one, fitted and instantly cured the whole system.. really pleased I read these threads.. and really pleased I didn't back the van into anything in the meantime!.. all sorted for £20:)

• Love
Reactions: JOG
Back