Retrofitting sun visor with vanity-mirror light

Leigh T6

Looking for some advice, I have just purchased 2 sun visors with mirror and light for my t6, my van did not have this option fitted and there is no plug and play option as I’ve just checked and no connector there, I have removed the interior light and can see a all brown wire, a black and red and a brown and red. My visor has a brown and a red wire. Am I right in thinking all brown to all brown and red to black and red?

BAC9D23F-7BB5-4026-96BE-BD51CE3DBC08.jpeg

13A63BEF-2FB4-468B-A3A7-8A7B1FE36526.jpeg

You are correct as long as your visor has independent switch on it, those two cables will give you a constant 12v when van is unlocked/engine running but will time out when van not in use

That’s great thank you for the quick response, I hope it has a switch on the light otherwise I have no idea how I’ll turn it off when not in use. It’s a gen VW so I presumed it was in built into the slide mechanism got me thinking now haha.

I have got around to installing the sunvisors with light and mirror. I'm having an issue though I have connected the brown wire from the sunvisor to the all brown wire in the map light, I have connected the red wire from the sunvisor to the black and red in the map light. But as I slide the mirror cover it strips out? Am I being really stupid here?

20200512_115950.jpg

Hi @Leigh T6 did you manage to get this sorted? I though there is a need for a separate light with these sun visors (i.e. not built into the sun visor itself), so it comes on when you open the shutter to the mirror.....as in the light is installed in the headlining......so the brown wire from the plug to the brown wire on the sun visor switch, then the red from the sun visor switch to the light and then from the light to the red/ black on the plug.......

Doing what you have done, (if its without a light actually built into the sun visor) would just short out the +ve and -ve and hence your 'strips out' comment.....it would just short the +ve and -ve....boom!!

I'm hoping to do this mod next.....did you easily manage to cut into the headlining?....were there cut-outs for the lights already on the other side of the headlining?...how did you even them out?....sorry for the questions, but I like to get things right :)

Last edited:
this is where I fell short then as I presumed the led light was built in to the visor so when you pull back the cover the light would turn on. I gave up in the end as I could fathom it, but what your saying does make sense. If I add an led light (like the ones you supply for the footwell ) that should work. Cutting a small rectangle in the headlining above the mirror position shouldn't be too hard with a steady hand and dremmel.

Indeed mate....the LED footwell lights would work well I think....they would defo be cheaper than the grey covered California versions........I now need to find a pair of cheep sun visor mirrors...I'm intrigued ;) ....oh yeah....and a very steady hand!!!!

Am I reading this correctly. The two wires from the visor simply connect to a built in switch contact and activate the light unit fitted into the headlining?

Hi @rod_vw yeah, I think so, as per this pic from the T6 brochure, its a light that turns on, when you open the mirror, above either the driver or the passenger. You would need both the switch in the sun visor and a separate lamp and a steady hand to do the cut out ;)

1596620161223.png

Hi @rod_vw yeah, I think so, as per this pic from the T6 brochure, its a light that turns on, when you open the mirror, above either the driver or the passenger. You would need both the switch in the sun visor and a separate lamp and a steady hand to do the cut out ;)

View attachment 80131
Thanks, I thought that's how it worked.

Resurrecting an old thread....

Does anyone have the dimensions for the location of the light?

I've got ignition switched power and an earth wire run through the A Post, the Visors with the switch and the vanity lights. Just need to know where to cut the holes!

Last edited:
Quite difficult to measure completely accurately.
This is a t5.1 shuttle. I don’t think t6 would be any different.
The 60mm is with the visor vertical to the face with the mirror.

3893AE73-3BE2-4AF6-B1E8-A4D772E3A7CB.jpeg

Reactions: mmi
Back