[Resolved] Leak in to drivers footwell

matthab

Hi All,

I have this trickle of water appear when it rains down in the drivers foot well. Any ideas where it is coming from? When I look up above the pedals I can't see anything else wet?

I don't have roof rails just a West Dubs pop top. All drains seem to work under the van.

Thanks,
Matt

20231028_172816.jpg

20231024_081519.jpg

Have you checked the scuttles that are situated under plastic cover where the windscreen wipers are. There are drain holes in each side that can get blocked with leaves and crap. This may be the cause of your leak.

Have you checked the scuttles that are situated under plastic cover where the windscreen wipers are. There are drain holes in each side that can get blocked with leaves and crap. This may be the cause of your leak.
I checked and couldn't see anything. Is there an easy way to remove the scuttle to do a better check?

Do you have roof rails fitted? If they are poorly fitted they can leak down and run down behind the a pillar? Looks to central in the van to be this but worth a think

Remove the windscreen wipers off, you will need a puller tool though.

Pull the plastic cowling off and you can see clearly if the holes are blocked. They aren’t that big so this would be your issue.

There is also a large grommet to the right of the steering shaft although these are quite a good fit so I doubt it’s that.

Do you have roof rails fitted? If they are poorly fitted they can leak down and run down behind the a pillar? Looks to central in the van to be this but worth a think
I had this issue but the water on mine ran down the B pillars.

Yesterday took the wipers off and scuttle panel. It looked pretty clear to me and water was running down in to the wheel well as expected. When squirting water in there it didn't leak, so I'm confident it's not from the scuttle.

The van doesn't have roof bars and the pop top covers the bolts, so I'm confident it's not from thre either

Any other ideas?

Yesterday took the wipers off and scuttle panel. It looked pretty clear to me and water was running down in to the wheel well as expected. When squirting water in there it didn't leak, so I'm confident it's not from the scuttle.

The van doesn't have roof bars and the pop top covers the bolts, so I'm confident it's not from thre either

Any other ideas?
There is a rubber grommet behind the steering column, under the dash, hard to see but it’s quite a large grommet. Have a look there.

Front roof bolts?

Door rubber seal?, or extra rubber seal?

You might need to get under the dash and get some one too spray the van down with a hose to see where it's coming in?

The saga continues, covered the van with a hose for 20 mins no leak, wash van with jet hose plus snow foam and no leak. First bit of rain this morning trickle of water.... (van was parked over night). Cant see the grommet under the dash, there is a grommet under the brake booster in the engine bay with a black pipe going through it but I cant see how its leaking through that.

Its off to VW next week, I hope they will find it. Possible windscreen seal failure?

Odd.

If it leaks with rain.

It should leak with the garden hose.

I wouldn't hold out much hope in VW fing that sort of leak.

Water can run a long way is the van parked flat or on a slope etc when it’s leaking?

Try simulating rain from standing on a ladder and do it all round front to back and both sides

Just to up date you guys. The van went in to the van centre today and they believe the leak is coming from the windscreen. They also discovered that 3-4 of the heated windscreen elements don't work in line where the leak is.

Plan is to order a new windscreen in and fit, just waiting for the part etc.

Hopefully that puts an end to this, thanks for the help so far.

The saga continues, covered the van with a hose for 20 mins no leak, wash van with jet hose plus snow foam and no leak. First bit of rain this morning trickle of water.... (van was parked over night). Cant see the grommet under the dash, there is a grommet under the brake booster in the engine bay with a black pipe going through it but I cant see how its leaking through that.

Its off to VW next week, I hope they will find it. Possible windscreen seal failure?
Exactly the same with my van, I’ve had a couple of people hose the van around the screen and drivers door area, nothing!
However, rain and weirdly, a bottle of water poured over the area, and I have a leak!
It’s been suggested that it’s either the windscreen or the bolts in the roof that would be for the roof bars!

Just to up date you guys. The van went in to the van centre today and they believe the leak is coming from the windscreen. They also discovered that 3-4 of the heated windscreen elements don't work in line where the leak is.

Plan is to order a new windscreen in and fit, just waiting for the part etc.

Hopefully that puts an end to this, thanks for the help so far.
Did the new windscreen work ?

Back