[RESOLVED] Handbrake warning light & buzzer when handbrake off

CAB

Leisuredrive Vivante
VIP Member
T6 Legend
I have an issue with my handbrake. I've searched and can't find anything on the forum, only similar thing I can find is on the T4 forum.

We use our camper every other weekend. Last weekend but one, the handbrake warning light started coming on after it was used (e.g. after pulling away from a junction), gave it a downward whack and it went off.

This weekend, started doing it even more. On the way down to Shropshire, after 90 miles or so, it stayed on, and the warning beep started. Pressed down, no joy. Mrs CAB leant over and held it down as we to-and-fro'd on the B road, it helped somewhat but light still came on and kept beeping.

Fortunately it behaved better over the rest of the weekend. The light still lit up, but sharp push down on the already down handbrake turned off the light, and no more beeping.

I am aware that the light can also signify brake fluid levels, but this is definitely connected to the handbrake. I am going to have a good look at the weekend, and examine the handbrake switch / plug / cable thing, but thought I would ask if anyone else had encountered this problem?

The cab has the standard spongey rubber mat plus a cheap cab carpet. The seats are Leisuredrive swivels (not sure if they are proprietary or from another manufacturer), the handbrake has a standard plastic shroud, and the housing has a cover which is screwed on somehow, I will get some pics tomorrow or at the weekend whan I have a moment if it will help.

got a pic of the light / dash display?

do you have pads left on the rear?
Not checked myself yet but will at the weekend. Serviced by Liverpool VW in May on 12k, reported to be 5% worn, and only done 1k since.

Have the seats been taken out? Maybe the cable from the hand brake has been trapped?

got a pic of the light / dash display?

Not while I was driving!

The red light is the normal handbrake light that comes on, like this.
1599218676639.png

When it stays on, the MFD says something like "Release parking brake" and the beeping starts.

Have the seats been taken out? Maybe the cable from the hand brake has been trapped?
They have had swivel seats put in during the conversion.

Do you mean the actaul handbrake cable or the warning light signal cable?

In any case I will have a good look at both tomorrow. Have to sort out Brexit today :eek:

They have had swivel seats put in during the conversion.

Do you mean the actaul handbrake cable or the warning light signal cable?

In any case I will have a good look at both tomorrow. Have to sort out Brexit today :eek:
Not the handbrake cable, the switch cable that goes to the back of the handbrake.

Reactions: CAB
Not the handbrake cable, the switch cable that goes to the back of the handbrake.
That’s what I will look for, seen some other posts on T4 with dodgy / loose cables.

So got the assembly off, and have taken off / disconnected switch. I have started to trace the cable, and I am puzzled - is this right?

handbrake cable.jpg

The switch cable runs from the switch (you can see the disconnected plug on the right), and then forwards, parallel with the handbrake cable;
then there is a barcoded paper label around the cable cover, which is also sealed over the handbrake cable;
then finally the switch cable runs up, is trapped behind the handbrake cable, and then down under the seat (as circled in the image).

Surely that can't be right?

DSC_1589.JPG

The label holding the switch cable and handbrake cable in place. Is this normal?

Final question (for now!)

The switch is off the handbrake, and the switch cable disconnected. Yet the (P) light is still on when I turn on the ignition. Should it be?

@Loz
@Dellmassive
@Deaky
@Spaghetti

Last edited:
Final question (for now!)

The switch is off the handbrake, and the switch cable disconnected. Yet the (P) light is still on when I turn on the ignition. Should it be?

@Loz
@Dellmassive
@Deaky
@Spaghetti
That wire position is not right, its trapped by the hand brake cable. Looks like you have a sportscraft lowering bracket fitted. With the switch disconnected the light on the dash should not be on. I'd say your wire is shorting out because of being trapped. Let the handbrake off and retrieve the wire, should be easily repaired.

Reactions: CAB
That wire position is not right, its trapped by the hand brake cable. Looks like you have a sportscraft lowering bracket fitted. With the switch disconnected the light on the dash should not be on. I'd say your wire is shorting out because of being trapped. Let the handbrake off and retrieve the wire, should be easily repaired.
Thought so, thanks for the confirmation!

The cable routing doesn’t look right, no, but I can’t remember how it lies. Have you checked it for damage?
Didn't think so. Having a lunch break while I wait for you kind gentlemen to confirm (fried eggs!) then I'll move and check it.

THE PROBLEM:

So, the handbrake switch cable (the signal cable that tells the van the handbrake is on) had been trapped behind the actual handbrake cable, presumably during the conversion (as circled in the pic above).

Freeing the cable, we can see the problem, the handbrake cable pressing the switch cable against the curved metal guide has broken through the outer cable cover, and has just started to break the insulation on the cables. Presumably contact with the metal somehow shorts them, and told the van that the switch was disengaged, i.e. handbrake on.

DSC_1597.JPG

RESOLUTION:

Two lengths of heatshrink insulation (the stuff I had was too wide, but doubling it up works ok). I know you will all tell me that I should have cut out the section and soldered a neat joint, but this is about the limit of my electrickery! At least I know where the problem is if it reoccurs.

DSC_1599.JPG

All reassembled, cable carefully kept out of the way of the handbrake cable, and voila! The ((P)) dash light goes on and off as it should, and doesn't come on when wiggling it about.

Thanks to all who responded, and to quote the late Jerry Pournelle, "90% of the time the problem is a cable".

Back