Replacing Bulk standard relay with victron smart dc dc charger

stevieg21

23B207E7-C1C7-4291-95F3-E8FDA1810933.jpeg
Hi All, my T6 has this under drivers seat. I’m thinking that when ever my ignition is on the leisure battery is simply connected to my starter battery. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ My Researching is leading me to swap this for victron smart dc dc charger. Quick questions 1. It’s a Straight forward swap and suitable? Two small wires (ignition on), two big cables from starter / to leisure battery. 2. Should I get Isolated or non isolated? I guess the one with 2 negative connections? 3. Victron do 2 models 15 or 30 amps?
Thanks in advance

It’s a 66 T6 blue motion so smart alernator. 95ah AGM battery under drivers seat. It will be a squeeze in there but it should go. I just want to go away for a wknd and run my fridge (domestic crx50) and lights, nothing major needed. Also running solar but I’ve got the victron solar controller in the back.

1- yes
2- either, or. non easier as only 3 wires
3- 15A is fine for 100ah AGM. Get the 30A if you plan on adding a second battery or swap to lithium.

I think I will go down this way. Just changed my 120ah leisure battery after 5 years. Mine is a T6 so smart alternator? Just have the basic split charger similar to photo.

Just one thing to point out ... for anyone reading this thread, it will not work for a California Beach or Ocean as the relay also closes to charge the starter battery. If the relay is replaced with a DC-DC Charger then charging the starter battery by plugging in the "shore power" no longer works. VW in their infinite wisdom have a charge device on both sides of the relay, the 230V charger on the Leisure side and the Alternator on the Engine side. Splitting off the 2 leisure batteries from the starter battery on my Ocean is giving me a real headache.

Back