Renogy Solar Monitor using the Hub

Littleblackflash

Auto Engineer
VCDS User
VIP Member
T6 Guru
I have a Renogy system all working fine. (Battery, Solar panels, inverter, DCDC). The all connect through a data hub and transmit their status over bluetooth to my phone app. I have a monitoring screen for the solar which works then connecting direct to the Elite Solar changer, but doesn't work when I connect it through hub. Should it?

1662551023592.png
1662551051853.png

No,

That screen is a direct connection to the mppt only.

Thanks Dell.

I assume the remote battery monitor also won't work.

I'll list if for sale but I don't think its worth much. I think it was only £1 more as a package the MPPT controller.

Renogy devices have an address of '1' from the factory.

When you set them up with the hub they get a new address, unique for each device.

So the monitor screen will be 'asking' device 1 for data, and device 1 no longer exists, or is the wrong type of device.

Even if you could get the solar to be address '1', the hub/BT2 and the monitor screen would both be 'masters' on the network, and that can't work.

All AFAIK!

Is it a Lin based system?

I guess it's not possible to have a remote screen showing the status unless I make something myself. Easy but I don't have time.

Is it a Lin based system?

I guess it's not possible to have a remote screen showing the status unless I make something myself. Easy but I don't have time.
It's RS485 modbus.

Yes you could make such a screen, it's not trivial to do though. I used arduino

Next problem..

I fitted my Renogy system to a wooden panel on the side of my van to get everything working. Using the HUB, I was able to get data from both the battery and the MPPT solar charger. I've now relocated everything under the seats and added a DC-DC50A charger.
The hubis being problematic. I can connect my BT2 to each of the devices (Battery, DC-DC, Solar) and it works fine. When I connect them all to the hub, I'm only seeing the Battery, and sometimes the DCDC but never all 3. I've tried swapping cables without any changes. When connecting 1 device only through the hub, it works so I guess it's not allocating a new address for multiple devices.
Any ideas how what to try, I'm running out of ideas.

Bump - I still can't get this hub to connect to all devices. I've followed the handbook to the letter and tried other things.

The best I can get is the battery connected with either DCDC or MPPT, but not both. Without the battery, I can't get the DCDC or MPPT to connect to the device. I can't work out why they have the same address..

Any thoughts?

Did you figure it out with the comm Hub? I'm going to try the same... hopefully it works.

Regarding your first problem: My idea is to use an ethernet splitter so I can connect to both the hub and the battery monitor from the UP ethernet port on the Battery itself. Let's see if it works...

Back