Removing Tachograph

Kdicko1

Hi i took a van out for a test drive at the wedkend which has had a tachograph fitted has one else had this and how easy is it to remove ,

I take it this was an electronic tacho. If so I think they just unplug. If it is a used van coming from a dealer i’d be requiring them to remove it properly before purchase.
It’s rather weird because when I passed my HGV test some near 20 years ago a commercial vehicle under 3.5 tonnes did not require a tachograph. Not aware that it has changed, but maybe it has.

If it's the one that's fitted on the top of the center dash..... its easy to remove. But leaves screw holes and cable holes in the dash........

Not done it myself, but remember seeing a post on here with pics.

Hi all I’m new here and love the site. Keep up the great work. I’ve just taken delivery of a brand new Mojave Beige T6.1 camper converted superbly by Happy Campers in Wexford - would highly recommend. In my so-called wisdom I ordered extra dashboard storage from the dealer and this is the only mistake I’ve made with the spec. Its a dreadful oversized lump of plastic in the middle of the dash which provides a tiny bit of storage (doesn’t even fit my phone!) and obscures the view. It has to go ! Is this straightforward or otherwise? Bizarrely the main dealer could not advise
Any comments welcome

View attachment 103588

View attachment 103589

View attachment 103590
As above, you could use it to mount switches and gauges for your conversion? I don’t think it’ll be an easy remedy - the Van-X speaker console might cover it, but you’d have to check if they make one for the T6.1 (I’ve no idea if they’re the same shape or not).
Otherwise have a look at the threads tagged with ‘tacho’.

tacho housing.jpeg

I have a new van which has the tacho mounting in the centre. Does anyone have a step by guide of how to remove it. Also what is left when you have removed it?

Many thanks in advance.

Hi - I have looked on that thread and I can not actually see how soemone removed and twaht it looked like afterwards. Surely there must be some pictures or a set of instructions to remove it. Welcome any thoughts.

Has anyone retro fitted a Tacho to a van that didn't previously have one? I've started towing a fair bit, and may need one!

Back