Removed Tachograph - now speedo isn’t working

tomlipop

Hey Guys,

New here, just picked up a new 6.1 transporter, Wasn't aware we had ordered with a Digital Tachograph until we received today.

We have zero use for it and wasn't even aware as to what it was until reading up on it, so I set about removing. Have taken the tacho out, 3 cables disconnected but the dash is reading error where it should have the milage now. Brand new van, so definitely me who's caused it but anyone know how to resolve this. Read a forum on needing code altered to tell it the van is a van without tacho. I don't code so wondered if there is anyone out there that can help me. We are based in Redbridge East London.

Thanks

Tom

As a temporary measure, can’t you plug the tacho back in and hide the gubbins under the dash?

What are you using to cover up the hole?

Oh and welcome to the forum

Hi, any joy with this and what you going to cover it with? I’ve got a 6.1 coming with all the spec I want BUT it’s got the console for the tachometer too. Wonder if the speaker will fill it

Sorry chaps, Didn't realise I had got replies. I've found a guy that says he can code the removal. Once I unplug, It actually stops the speedometer from working. The hole isn't terrible, A Dash tray would fit there and cover the hole although there are a few small screw holes on the dash which cannot be covered. Very irritating.

As a temporary measure, can’t you plug the tacho back in and hide the gubbins under the dash?

What are you using to cover up the hole?

Oh and welcome to the forum
I would but dont particularly want to remove the dash to hide the taco.

Hi, any joy with this and what you going to cover it with? I’ve got a 6.1 coming with all the spec I want BUT it’s got the console for the tachometer too. Wonder if the speaker will fill it
Seems no one does a tray insert yet, Will keep looking. Really irritating, paying for something I really dont want and is quite frankly an eyesore on the dash!

Will this cover the hole?

Will this cover the hole?

I dont think it will but im not sure, They have changed the shape of the dash from the T6 to the 6.1. :-(

I would but dont particularly want to remove the dash to hide the taco.
Is it that big? I hoped you could remove from the housing what bits need plugging in, and hide them within the hole you have, to get the speedo back working.

Is it that big? I hoped you could remove from the housing what bits need plugging in, and hide them within the hole you have, to get the speedo back working.
I guess it's the size of radio once you remove from the plastic housing. I'll measure up this morn and see if that could be an option.

I took mine out as it was hideous and the reflection from sun glare was real bad. Big hole is easy to cover...just duct tape over it and placed in a rubber anti slip mat cut to size of the standard dash. Looks fine and stops phone slipping about. The 4 other small fixing holes I drilled out the metal rivets with a step drill so now flush with dash and now swithering on what looks best. I have fir trees caps that you don’t really notice unless looking and also some nice carbon adhesive vinyl cut to same size of holes and really hard to notice. Not perfect but much better than the housing. I measured the speaker cover and doubtful it would fit.
8499EAD6-B2FC-40A4-BCC5-04B4B4B117F5.jpeg653722F7-B4B0-4D9A-AAEF-B48D2A409EEA.jpeg32294199-2C1F-4738-8C46-E93E776CA59A.jpeg8D5FF51C-777D-4813-A272-A8B6C7CD796F.jpeg

I took mine out as it was hideous and the reflection from sun glare was real bad. Big hole is easy to cover...just duct tape over it and placed in a rubber anti slip mat cut to size of the standard dash. Looks fine and stops phone slipping about. The 4 other small fixing holes I drilled out the metal rivets with a step drill so now flush with dash and now swithering on what looks best. I have fir trees caps that you don’t really notice unless looking and also some nice carbon adhesive vinyl cut to same size of holes and really hard to notice. Not perfect but much better than the housing. I measured the speaker cover and doubtful it would fit.
View attachment 82612View attachment 82613View attachment 82614View attachment 82615

Hi man,

Thanks for this and much better. Problem for me is that the Tacho is actually there and connected at the mo, When I unplug, It stops the speedo and odometer working so need to get it in for coding. Anti slip matt works well by the looks of it, hoping they will make a custom fit mat that fits the spot perfectly. Will remove the rivets too. Good effort.

T

Ps, Why did they make it soooo hideous! LOL

Hi man,

Thanks for this and much better. Problem for me is that the Tacho is actually there and connected at the mo, When I unplug, It stops the speedo and odometer working so need to get it in for coding. Anti slip matt works well by the looks of it, hoping they will make a custom fit mat that fits the spot perfectly. Will remove the rivets too. Good effort.

T
Good luck, you’ll need a right angle drill, as tight to get in. I used a Milwaukee battery tool.

View attachment 82612View attachment 82613View attachment 82614View attachment 82615
Ps, Was the tacho there when you picked up the van, Did you have coding?

Thanks and really helpful post! I have exactly the same issue - ugly tacho box that I didn’t order but would love to get rid of. Was it hard to remove and do you have any photos of the carbon vinyl film finished look? Cheers
Paul

Just seen this thread on Tacho`s. As an ex Tacho fitter all the Speed impulses go thru the tacho first.....tamper prevention. They will be in Plug B as Plug A is usually power related. B is signal..... However there is (I`m sure...its been a while!) a speedo output to the Dash Panel Insert for the Impulse signal from the B plug.

Hi - How did you actual get the console off - I found one screw, but what tools were needed and do you have a guide to removing the console without damaging anything? Welcome your help - thanks in advance.

Back