Removing Leaking Fog Light?

So @Stevw, job done :thumbsup:! As always it takes longer for the first light, but between the 2 lights I must have emptied nearly a cup full of water. So bad that the LED bulb came away from the plastic seating. I now need to buy a few new LEDs again, Transporter HQ I guess.
It was a faff around to get the first one out, but then it was a case of drying the fog light with the wife's £150 hair dryer, which she wasn't amused at....:D A few holes with a 3mm drill bit as you mentioned and I got it back in. I replaced the original halogen bulb back in to the dry light and compared it with the LED in the opposite light. I was surprised at the difference in heat, the halogen light was warm which does convince me it would make a difference in getting rid of the condensation, to a degree, if you drove with them on permanently.
All in all I do believe that the holes will make the difference, the question is now, do I buy the LEDs and try again, now I have the holes...….:oops:

I had the same problem on the driver side after fitting LED`s. I removed the spotlight and put it on a radiator for a few hours hole facing up to let the condensation escape, a work mate gave me a silicon O ring, they`re a little squishy, put it all back together and a year and a bit later no condensation. Hope this helps.

I had the same problem on the driver side after fitting LED`s. I removed the spotlight and put it on a radiator for a few hours hole facing up to let the condensation escape, a work mate gave me a silicon O ring, they`re a little squishy, put it all back together and a year and a bit later no condensation. Hope this helps.
Interesting as there are certainly different reasons / ideas why it's happening. Glad it worked.

Have the same issue with mine but near side only.
VW changed it about 3 months ago but noticed it misted up again the other day.
I’ve swapped to LED’s too but the misting didn’t occur until about 8/9 months after the swap.
If you are going to try and get VW to swap them under warranty make sure you refit the old standard bulbs first.

Are we saying you can remove the fog by undoing a few screws and getting in behind the arch liner? I don’t fancy taking the whole front off!

I’ve swapped to LED’s too but the misting didn’t occur until about 8/9 months after the swap.
If you are going to try and get VW to swap them under warranty make sure you refit the old standard bulbs first.

Are we saying you can remove the fog by undoing a few screws and getting in behind the arch liner? I don’t fancy taking the whole front off!
Pretty sure you have to remove the whole bumper to actually remove the fog. You can access it via the hatch in the wheel arch.

Yes the fog light can be removed by removing about 8 Torex Screws under the front end and in the wheel arch. I did it today, it's a tight move but once you have done one fog, the second one is easy...

I’m pretty sure that the water does not enter the light through the rubber bulb holder seal.
I’ve fitted mine with a generous coating of silicon grease and the water is back.
Drilling next.

I've just had mine replaced under warranty. Well I say under warranty. The dealer was made aware of it a year ago. He said it ought to be a warranty claim, so would get it sorted. I heard nothing, so brought it up again when I booked it in for service the other week. Fair play to Les at Vertu Hereford, he'd left it far to long to get VW to pay for it, so the dealership stood the cost.

Around 2 weeks on, and they are still bone dry.

Back