Removing Leaking Fog Light?

SAF1981

Diver
VIP Member
T6 Guru
Hello

I have found my drivers side fog light is full of condensation and water. The passanger side is fine.
The problem I'm having is finding out how to actually remove it to inspect it. I can't find a site that has T6 specific instructions.
Does anyone know a site or instructions on how to remove the fog light housing?

Last edited:
Hello

I have found my drivers side fog light is full of condensation and water. The passanger side is fine.
The problem I'm having is finding out how to actually remove it to inspect it. I can't find a site that has T6 specific instructions.
Does anyone know a site or institutions on how to remove the fog light housing?

Have you changed your bulbs? A few of us were having condensation issues with front fogs after changing to LEDs.
I found that no matter how much you try to dry them out, they just fill with condensation a few days later. I never did find a definitive answer to why they condensate up, because the bulb seals are just as good as genuine. Some had a theory that the LEDs didn't get hot enough to dry out any natural condensation, but I just got fed up with them ruining the front end of mine, and deleted them for now.

I'm pretty sure the bumper has to come off to remove the lights.

Mine fogged up when I fitted LEDs. This had to be down to poor seals, not the heat of halogens not drying them out. 1, I don't use fog lights and have turned off the winking cornering function & 2, even if the heat did dry them, the moisture needs somewhere to escape from, so will just condensate again when they cool down.

You could try removing the bulbs, then set up a hair dryer to blow at the lens for a couple of hours. I tried this with mine, but only for long enough for the moisture to dry off the glass. It's much better, but really needs doing for longer.

I'm pretty sure the bumper has to come off to remove the lights.

Mine fogged up when I fitted LEDs. This had to be down to poor seals, not the heat of halogens not drying them out. 1, I don't use fog lights and have turned off the winking cornering function & 2, even if the heat did dry them, the moisture needs somewhere to escape from, so will just condensate again when they cool down.

You could try removing the bulbs, then set up a hair dryer to blow at the lens for a couple of hours. I tried this with mine, but only for long enough for the moisture to dry off the glass. It's much better, but really needs doing for longer.

Thanks for the update. I bought the van with the fog light already misted so not entirely sure if it has led bulbs inside. Had a feeling it wouldn't be a simple task. Removing the bumper and taking a hairdryer to it for 5hrs looks like I'll just do a straight swap.
It's more than likely the seal on the fog light casing that is the issue as the passanger side is fine

you can access the foglight lamps through the little hatch cover in the front wheel arch liner, the lamp holders just twist and pull to come out and you have (rather restricted) access to the lamps and the insides of the fitting

you can access the foglight lamps through the little hatch cover in the front wheel arch liner, the lamp holders just twist and pull to come out and you have (rather restricted) access to the lamps and the insides of the fitting
I've seen that access point. I'll have a look via that point and see if it's possible to put a cloth in to soak up the moisture and give the screen a wipe

I seen the same misting up of the lens covers on my 69 plate T6, Both fog lights... First noticed it after driving 100 miles in heavy rain...

It has Standard OEM bulbs as i've not got round to upgrading them yet.

The condensation issue looks like its inherent in the design / build of the fog lights.... be nice to know what the fix is...

Same here Jason. I'm having the same problem and it's frustrating. Although good to know I'm not the only one.

I bought my new kombi (T6 2017) back in Sep with an aftermarket front bumper/spoiler. Had condensation appear on the inside of the driver side fog after I swapped out the halogens for LEDs. This was back in November when it started getting cold and wet. Dried it out a number of times with a heat gun and it came back. Put the halogens back in, took it to the dealer, they replaced the whole fog light unit under warranty and it still came back. Dried it out again and guess what - back again! At a closer look, it looks like the bumper is directing rain (which we’re having lots of at the moment) directly behind the bumper and down onto the top of the fog light. With the fog light switching on during adaptive cornering (for short periods of time), it’s heating up slightly but not getting a chance to dry out properly. Hence the condensation inside. Other than change the entire bumper, I’m not sure what else to do here. I can see the condensation all round the top corner of the fog behind the bumper trim. Oh, I also tried a few gel sachets inside the unit and that's not doing much either.

Does anyone else have any other solutions? Would be good to sort this as I hate seeing it. Cheers

Hi, just found this post will add that i had one fog light that had a builders brew cup full of water inside.
I unscrewed two torx screws underneath the bumper and one plastic fastener and two torx screws inside the wheel arch fastening the plastic inner wheel arch so then free to get in and unscrew the two torx screws holding the fog lamp in. After emptying and drying out ( i used an air gun ) i carefully drilled two 3mm drain holes in the bottom of the unit towards the back and yippee it's been fine for months no misting up or full of water.
Mystery is how water got in as when i got the unit out i put the bulb in tipped the unit all ways but no signs of water leaking out.
The other unit has always been totally dry mist free both had LED's fitted within first two weeks on the road.

Hi, just found this post will add that i had one fog light that had a builders brew cup full of water inside.
I unscrewed two torx screws underneath the bumper and one plastic fastener and two torx screws inside the wheel arch fastening the plastic inner wheel arch so then free to get in and unscrew the two torx screws holding the fog lamp in. After emptying and drying out ( i used an air gun ) i carefully drilled two 3mm drain holes in the bottom of the unit towards the back and yippee it's been fine for months no misting up or full of water.
Mystery is how water got in as when i got the unit out i put the bulb in tipped the unit all ways but no signs of water leaking out.
The other unit has always been totally dry mist free both had LED's fitted within first two weeks on the road.
Right that's it, I will give this a go. Unbelievable really that this happens. How have your lights been in this wet weather, does the water get in from the drill holes? I suppose it drains out so not a problem. Thanks.

Hi Marty, i have had no misting up or condensation since drilling the holes in the bottom of the fogs. I think it only happens when you put LED bulbs in as there is not heat from them, a workmate has standard bulbs in his fogs and doesnt suffer from condensation.
Hope that helps and good luck!

I think it only happens when you put LED bulbs in as there is not heat from them, a workmate has standard bulbs in his fogs and doesnt suffer from condensation.

I'm not having that. The short amount of time they are turned on if you have the cornering light function active will make bugger all difference. Besides, however much heat is applied to them to evaporate the moisture, it has to vent somewhere, otherwise it will just reform as condensation as it cools again.

Your solution of drilling vent holes in them is the only workable one. I'm holding off doing that to mine tho' as I'm waiting the the dealer to tell me if they are going to change them under warranty.

This is a common problem I see.. thought it was just mine! I also have LED lamps installed and have noticed over time both have the condensation problem. What we saying.. drill a couple of small holes and this will fix the issue?? I’ve just received 2 new smoked fog units that I’m going to install obviously don’t want to be drilling 3mm holes if it doesn’t need it :unsure:

annoying as I only had the bumper off last week

I'm not having that. The short amount of time they are turned on if you have the cornering light function active will make bugger all difference. Besides, however much heat is applied to them to evaporate the moisture, it has to vent somewhere, otherwise it will just reform as condensation as it cools again.

Your solution of drilling vent holes in them is the only workable one. I'm holding off doing that to mine tho' as I'm waiting the the dealer to tell me if they are going to change them under warranty.
I met another member who had them changed under warranty the other day and his had come back.

Thanks @Stevw , I have read, searched, tried various actions including, heatgun and gelballs. This is the last stand. The van is less than 3 years old, but as @Jayjmac mentioned it just comes back. We have all spent fortunes on our vans, just for this to spoil them. The drill is on charge...… Happy Christmas everyone!

I’ll drill mine next time I’m pulling the van apart, I tried the hot air gun and it dried it out over the summer but the condensation is back again.
It’s pretty crap for such an expensive vehicle but looking on the bright side any rain that gets in the fog light isn’t getting in the side window.

Ok.. when I pull the van apart which won’t be long as we’ve just been plunged into tier 4.

actually I reckon the hole might work! When we install outside lights we sometimes drill holes in to let moisture escape. I’ve got brand new fogs and new lamps..

I will install the new fogs and lamps without the hole first see if that cures it then if not drill the holes. :thumbsup:

I have this problem with my passenger side fog light. I have tried a bit of bendy wire with a small bit of rag on the end to wipe the inside dry and a hairdryer through a small tube into the light but it has still returned so will drill holes when it gets a bit warmer/dryer

Back