Remove sliding door

Littleblackflash

Auto Engineer
VCDS User
VIP Member
T6 Guru
I need to swap over my sliding side door on the van to a Caravelle one tomorrow. Is it a one man job? Difficult to do with social distancing. New door isn’t that heavy.

I need to swap over my sliding side door on the van to a Caravelle one tomorrow. Is it a one man job? Difficult to do with social distancing. New door isn’t that heavy.
Can’t answer your question sorry, but whats different about a Caravelle slider?

It has a window and the metal work on the inside correct for adding the Caravelle trim.
It was also the right colour for me so saves repairing my paint and adding a window

Two man job, you remove the bolts from the centre runner from the inside and this releases the door and it will drop so someone else needs to be holding it
You will require M8/M10 spline bits for the roller bolts and the bottom rail stopper/catch at the rear

Not much, just clips around the window which is bigger than aftermarket windows. On the lower part it’s just a few holes for the trim

165D3E9E-E59E-4A06-9F8E-65759544F7E6.jpeg
As normal I thought knew best. I took about 20mins to swap over and align. I used an old tyre on the outside so when I undid the inner bolts at the back, it was still supported.

not 100% ok, but I’ll start another thread.

image.jpg

Hi all. Can anyone give me advice on how to remove the sliding door please?

I've just picked up a replacement for my damaged door. When I arrived to collect it the door was still on the donor van.
seconds later It was off with all the rollers etc still attached.

I didn’t see how it came off or think to ask.

Thanks for this.
However there was no unbolting of anything on the sliding door as far as I can tell.

Ok I figured it out.

- OS Tail lamp out.
- Remove sliding rail cover - 2xt25(?) torx (snap all clips)
- Remove lower roller ‘door spring retainer thing’ 2xspline drive bolts
-Slide door all the way open
- Pull bottom edge of door away to release lower roller
- Slide door forward to drop top roller out of track.
- Slide door all the way rearwards to release rear roller from track

Easy

It’s done now.
And yea the clips all snapped. Every single one.
Thanks for the link.

Unfortunately I didn’t have additional muscle to help me hold and lift and manoeuvre the door whilst bolting up hinges

So I did it the way listed above and all my gf had to do was release the rear roller on removal and ensure they went back in the right place when refitting.

Back