Sliding Door - getting stiff to move

DavidS

VIP Member
T6 Pro
Hi All,

Noticed that my sliding door has become more difficult to slide over last couple off weeks, is there any maintenance - grease/oil, that I can do to free it up or are there parts I may need to replace?

Worth checking the rollers to see if any have worn and dropped.

I think the general conclusion was not to oil or grease runners and channels but just keep them clean and dry - oil tends to collect dirt and contribute to wear.

I notice at the last service the VW garage had greased the hinge bits but not the channels on mine.

Tried some WD40 on lower & middle rollers and sliding door back & forth a few times , seems to have loosened a bit. Will look at changing rollers when weather is a bit more pleasant for outdoor maintenance!

I have always used a spray white grease on all parts of the door rollers, catches and lock barrels (even though they are rarely used). When the sliding door become reluctant to roll easily I used a spray lube first to free it then the white grease. That's a regular once or twice yearly job and has been on my campers for the past forty plus years.

I use dry film lubricants like WD40 Dry PTFE aerosol. Grit doesn't stick to it but it still provides enough slip to help the door slide freely.

I can’t see much point in greasing the bottom runner. The 2 plastic rollers seam to spin ok as long as kept clean. The one that failed on mine was the bigger weight-bearing roller which has an rs bearing, so spraying lube in will have no benefit and stuff like wd40 will probably get into the bearing and wash out any remaining grease.
What might benefit is when you fit the replacement part use a little pick to remove the rubber seal on the bearing and pack with plenty of geese then replace the rubber seal. Wipe off the excess.

My sliding door has started to rub on opening, the bottom guide looks ok with a little play. The middle guide rail has alot of play and wobbles a fair bit. If I lift the door slightly using the handle it opens easier. Not sure if I can tighten the middle guide to reduce the movement which may help lift the door

When you say the bottom guide looks ok with little play, how have you assessed this?
The bottom guide has two plastic rollers that you can see and feel rotating. However it also has an rs bearing . This is hard to check. Mine was grating and getting harder to open as the bearing had obviously seized so wasn’t rolling. One day the bearing just collapsed and the runner scraped along the metal of the van.
If I were you I’d remove the bottom runner (mark the slot location with a sharpi to keep the adjustment the same on refitting) and check the bearing. Replace the lot for £17 if necessary.

Last edited:
Back