Remote travel Australia - what spares do you carry ?

quirky

Setting up the new T6.1 4Motion for some remote travel in Australia - after 30 years in the T3 I had my spares and tools all sorted - not so sure what I should carry for the new bus. Any experince based thoughts and ideas on a list of essential spares and or tools appreciated - not sure i can just rely on VW Roadsise assist...

Depends on how remote you're going to go.
Given that this is a much newer van than a T3 I would be primarily thinking about the bits that might be damaged rather than the bits that might fail. It's a new van so should be reliable (ish). Extra spare tyres, fuel, adblue, coolant, oil, plus simple spares such as aux belt, gaffer tape, tie-wraps etc. A decent jack is also a good idea, as would an OBD scanner (Carista, OBDeleven or similar) because these can run on a phone. Just make sure these can run without a mobile signal because there's plenty of places without any phone coverage.

Had to wait 5 days for a new tyre (in I think Karratha) a few years ago so the simplest of problems can cause quite a lot of disruption.

When we travelled Oz back in the day in our T2 we were thank full of our sand ladders and Hi lift, although we thought no way would we need them!..and a towing strop/rope.
@AussieMick is your man!

Haldex oil for 4motion. It's almost impossible to get anywhere except VW dealers who are 1000-2000 km apart.....or else extend the breathers up to the firewall for rear diff and haldex.
That's only if you think you will go through water over maybe 300-400 mm deep.

Haldex oil for 4motion. It's almost impossible to get anywhere except VW dealers who are 1000-2000 km apart.....or else extend the breathers up to the firewall for rear diff and haldex.
That's only if you think you will go through water over maybe 300-400 mm deep.
have had the Seikel breathers fitted with this in mind - thanks

Depends on how remote you're going to go.
Given that this is a much newer van than a T3 I would be primarily thinking about the bits that might be damaged rather than the bits that might fail. It's a new van so should be reliable (ish). Extra spare tyres, fuel, adblue, coolant, oil, plus simple spares such as aux belt, gaffer tape, tie-wraps etc. A decent jack is also a good idea, as would an OBD scanner (Carista, OBDeleven or similar) because these can run on a phone. Just make sure these can run without a mobile signal because there's plenty of places without any phone coverage.

Had to wait 5 days for a new tyre (in I think Karratha) a few years ago so the simplest of problems can cause quite a lot of disruption.
I've been grappling with the OBD scanner since the gearbox mechatronix unit failed at 10k kms, and I was left on the side of the road with a flasjing screen - the ability to better understand the problems in remaote areas is a priority - have just struggled to choose the right one - i think ill focus on this

I've been grappling with the OBD scanner since the gearbox mechatronix unit failed at 10k kms, and I was left on the side of the road with a flasjing screen - the ability to better understand the problems in remaote areas is a priority - have just struggled to choose the right one - i think ill focus on this
I've got OBDeleven and very happy with it. You can do the simple things like reading and clearing error codes, but also monitor hundreds of sensor signals and other values from the various controllers. I know carista can do the error codes but not so sure about the data monitoring as I've never used it.
Both work on a subscription basis but for about £50 per year (guessing about 100A$) it's money we'll spent in my view.

Back