Remap ..... Just Can’t Decide On Which One

I'm not that well informed, but on the basis of what VW engineers were up to, I really do question the assumption that they are beyond reproach! I think @JaySal makes a fair point!
To be fair I did mention the scandal in one of my responses.....and it's not just VW. You need to ask the question why they had to go to that extreme measure.

Mooncat, you’re living in Lala land if you think VW turn out the most environmentally friendly map on a vehicle and have the very best engineers looking at a vehicle checking componants continually. Perhaps you were on holiday there when the omissions scandal surfaced. So every product you purchase has the very best in the field working on every aspect of it to make it perfect....? Cuckoo. More like everything is churned out with just enough effort to stop it disintegrating in your hands with an aim to maximising profits.

Even manufacturers approach outside tuners to produce ‘special additions’ so clearly this undermines the ‘OEM is the best’ argument.

The thread started asking which was the best company for a remap. You’ve taken it upon yourself to go all hippy spouting off about the evil of remaps and pollution which you have no conclusive evidence of. You would be better off just posting “I’m not for them and can’t give an opinion who is best because my vehicle doesn’t have one.”

@RayC ...Pendle delivers a smooth power curve that pulls through all the gears and feels like a larger bore engine, I’ve had Revo remaps on the 2ltr 140bhp and the power delivery was a lot harsher and you had only a short band before needing to change gear.

I’d go with (and have) a Pendle in a van as it’s delivers usable torque.
You haven't got a clue about me. All I can say is you have me wrong on every account. If I hadn't worked in the diesel engine industry, my van would have a remap but like they say, ignorance is bliss.

I'm not actually sure if I'm supposed to be offended by the hippy remark as you brand yourself as the 'Hippy in training'

To be fair I did mention the scandal in one of my responses.....and it's not just VW. You need to ask the question why they had to go to that extreme measure.

You haven't got a clue about me. All I can say is you have me wrong on every account. If I hadn't worked in the diesel engine industry, my van would have a remap but like they say, ignorance is bliss.

I'm not actually sure if I'm supposed to be offended by the hippy remark as you brand yourself as the 'Hippy in training'

I send you a link discussing a report in the telegraph about the United Nations findings that cows are worse for the atmosphere than diesel cars... not exactly biased are they, then you claim VW ( proven figure fudgers) know better than anyone else could. Obviously they are really honest about everything. Remind me how many space miles they are claiming your van can do.... oh they must be telling the truth. Others have pointed out the different quality of diesel and the maps are generic, same here as the middle of the desert but you come up with your interpretation and won’t hold your hands up and accept....hate to say it but ‘you are wrong’. I guess you haven’t modified your van at all because every part is the very best that mankind can produce. Maybe the quality of the diesel, the air temperature, humidity, altitude may be how polluted the atmosphere is that they are driven in. Have you noticed on a cool damp day some high performance engines run smoother. No doubt the engine being mapped can produce more wear or a lumpy ride....but just maybe some people can produce better results than the map which is on there from VW.

Let’s look at fact. You don’t have your engine remapped.

I believe the thread was asking ‘best company for a remap?’.......

I have had my last few cars mapped at The Performance Centre in Sunderland, Tyne and Wear.

2012 330d went from 258bhp to 344bhp.
2013 X5 40d went from 302bhp to 385bhp.

Both ran without fault the whole time I owned them. Slight improvement in MPG but huge improvement in drive ability. Would 100% recommend them and going for a remap.

They run your car/van on the rolling road first to check it’s healthy before installing or live mapping it with before and after print outs. They spend a lot of time developing maps for vehicles so they run without fault. Not very good for business if cars/vans they remap keep blowing up is it?

I’m sure this is the same for a lot of tuning companies out there. It’s about finding the right ones. Before I got my 330d mapped I called a few companies up. One company told me he could get 100bhp over standard by mapping and removing the DPF/Cat. When I asked The Performance Centre he said that taking the DPF out would make no difference as this doesn’t cause a restriction and is not the limiting factor in the process. I trusted what he said and was very happy with the results. Not one bit of smoke would ever come out of the exhaust.

I get why people would think the car will cause more pollution etc but mapping the fuel is a very clever and complex process. Too much fuel usually causes smoke so why add more in than is needed? This is how the map is improved over a standard manufacturer map. Slight improvement in boost, fuel etc at each rpm and throttle position is what builds the map and if done right improves engine performance. Each time I’ve had a map I’ve gained nearly 90bhp and god knows what torque and do I think it was pumping out dangerously high levels of NOx? Not at all. The people that do this are very clever, burning the fuel clean gets the most Performance.

By the sounds of it a few people on here have had a remap and I’m sure if they were blowing up or voiding warranties then we would know about it.

Just go for it, find the right company with a good reputation and you won’t regret it. I’ll be getting mine done very soon.

Hope this was helpful.

@Mooncat for some reason this has pushed my buttons and I apologise for how I’ve phrased stuff. On reflection everyone is entitled to their own opinions. ✌️

Last edited:
The van will turn 3 years old in a couple of weeks so it’ll be going for a remap. Have deliberately held off for that “just in case” warranty issue (plus been spending my pennies elsewhere on the van).

I know some will say remap are not for them, that’s fine, I like them, have had a few in cars before.

So my dilemma is who to go for?
Have heard good things of Pendle, and Revo. Then there is the curve ball of a company called MRC Tuning in Banbury who are just round the corner from me (they sorted the mapping on the Blue Transporter that is running the RS4 engine which was in one of the VW mags a while back).

Opinions sought of those folk that are running a remap please. Mine is a 180 bi-tdi.
What map do you have?
What PS did you start with?
What PS have got now?
@BognorMotors @andythom188 @Olly hall ??????????

@DaveyB i did no research at all, I just went with oli as my van needed it’s first service and in my opinion @BognorMotors are as good as any vw dealer, so why it was in I thought feck it! Why not, so yes it’s a revo map, mine started as a 204 and is now somewhere between that and 244, I didn’t get any info about it once it was complete so can’t confirm actual output,
But like I’ve said in previous posts mine still feels very factory as in smooth delivery and not rip your arms out
Traction light does flash in the dry when using sport mode tho lol, the biggest gain you feel on the motorway from 70+ It really takes off!
Would I go back and do it again? Not sure tbh,
A 204 is pretty savage anyway, the gains for you with a 180 might make loads of difference
Hope this helps :thumbsup:
Oh and like I said to @Tourershine tbh I didn’t really feel the difference in the first couple of days but my wife said “f**k me she flys!!!” Haha

Last edited:
Morning!

Re-maps, IMHO, are a very personal modification.

Personally I've used REVO for years. They make the vehicle drive very OEM, no spikey deliveries, the after/during support is good, and they certainly do the groundwork before releasing the map. Its not all about headline figures, custom tunes and dyno printouts. This is why when we were choosing a partner to work with on remaps, REVO were the only choice (and to be fair the only people who replied to my enquiry emails, which really sealed the deal)

I've not dealt with Pendle personally so cant comment on their maps, but there seem to be plenty of happy customers about.

My other car is a 8V RS3, running a REVO stage 1 map, but I’m also a member of the RS3OC, and MRC are spoken of very highly of by everyone over there. Their stage 1 tune is still a generic map in most/if not all cases, and when you hit stage 2 you get to the custom work. Not sure of their involvement with Transporters.

My advice would be speaks to the tuners you are thinking of, research them as much as possible, and get some feedback off people running their maps - pretty standard forum research really.

REVO offer a 30 day money back guarantee, so if you’re not happy, you can take it off. You also have the SPS unit, so you can switch the map off if ever necessary.

Feel free to give me a call to discuss for more information. Good luck with your search, whoever you go with I’m sure you’ll be happy as the 180 releases about 30 BHP and about the same ft/lb and really does bring the engine alive, so you wont be disappointed.

Im in the same boat mate, van had its first MOT today so think it may be time to map it
I have the 140 so potentially more beneficial/noticeable gains (%) gonna have to start looking around

Im in the same boat mate, van had its first MOT today so think it may be time to map it
I have the 140 so potentially more beneficial/noticeable gains (%) gonna have to start looking around
Can’t believe how nervous I was getting my MOT. Not had one in soooooooo long as i’ve always chopped my cars in before they got to 3 years old.
Did yours sail through as well?

I only have experience of using pendle maps. Had one on my t5. 1 @6k u till I sold it @ 60k.
140 up to 175 hp & 330 up 400nm or thereabouts. I had it done as found the 140 a bit flat coming from a 5 pot 175hp - I was towing over long distances lots.
The map really made the van, never any issues or mot problems.

Pendle remap on mine. It's currently at vw have it's 2nd warranty repair. First time was a failed dpf pressure sensor causing constant Regen.
This time is a non start. Failed main fuel pump.
Vw know it's remapped and are still honouring the warranty.

Pendle remap on mine. It's currently at vw have it's 2nd warranty repair. First time was a failed dpf pressure sensor causing constant Regen.
This time is a non start. Failed main fuel pump.
Vw know it's remapped and are still honouring the warranty.

That's a good thing to hear

Can’t believe how nervous I was getting my MOT. Not had one in soooooooo long as i’ve always chopped my cars in before they got to 3 years old.
Did yours sail through as well?
Yep straight through no issues and my self levelling is unplugged on my headlights and haven’t finished connecting up my headlight washers either all in situ just not operative and they didn’t care

Back