red led slow flash on drivers door?

Sunwhite

Had the van (2017 basic model T6 SWB Runner 5spd manual with a camper conversion) in for service and now when I lock the door a small red LED flashes about once every two seconds next to the lock button on the drivers door... Not sure if this was happening before but I don't think so; we have been in lock-down for months here in Melbourne Australia so the van has had little use this year; I bought it last December.

I searched the forum and found some posts about interior motion alarms but I'm not sure if this model has this fitted? There is no switch on the doorpost and nothing I do inside the van with the doors locked triggers any sort of alarm. Has anyone any ideas about what this light is? I can find no reference to it in the handbook.

Cheers
Brian.

Had the van (2017 basic model T6 SWB Runner 5spd manual with a camper conversion) in for service and now when I lock the door a small red LED flashes about once every two seconds next to the lock button on the drivers door... Not sure if this was happening before but I don't think so; we have been in lock-down for months here in Melbourne Australia so the van has had little use this year; I bought it last December.

I searched the forum and found some posts about interior motion alarms but I'm not sure if this model has this fitted? There is no switch on the doorpost and nothing I do inside the van with the doors locked triggers any sort of alarm. Has anyone any ideas about what this light is? I can find no reference to it in the handbook.

Cheers
Brian.
That red LED is a flash to indicate that the alarm is active when the van is locked, at least it should be. As for why you cant set the alarm off 'm not sure. Have you tried opening the door with the key and getting in? Does that set the alarm off?

Leave your window down, lock the van and then reach inside and open the door using the internal release. This should trigger the alarm.

Last edited:
Use the key fob to lock the van and wait for the flashing LED. Then lock the van again. Does the LED stop flashing?

its the factory alarm i didn't even know i had it fitted when i brought the van just the red flashing light till i got up one morning on a site a 5 am lol and set it off oooops lol

That red LED is a flash to indicate that the alarm is active when the van is locked, at least it should be. As for why you cant set the alarm off 'm not sure. Have you tried opening the door with the key and getting in? Does that set the alarm off?
Tried that, thanks for the suggestion, but has no effect. Tried locking the van with the window open then reaching in to open the door; no alarm or anything untoward, the door opened ok. The red light probably isn't doing any harm; just bugs me not knowing what it does or means.

Use the key fob to lock the van and wait for the flashing LED. Then lock the van again. Does the LED stop flashing?
Thanks Howzat, Tried locking with the key fob twice, light still flashes, tried locking manually with the key, light still flashes. I'm beginning to think it's just one of life's little mysteries that's outside my comprehension.

Leave your window down, lock the van and then reach inside and open the door using the internal release. This should trigger the alarm.
Thanks Brabus, I tried that and no response.

Concensus seems to be that it is an alarm active indicator..... but nothing I do will trigger an alarm. Does every T6 have a basic alarm fitted? Maybe mine is disabled or not working?

I expect you have a door switch issue as the alarm won't set until all the doors are closed, do you have the display on the dash showing door status?

Also, I thought the doors deadlocked on one click of the remote key meaning they could not be opened from inside?

Reactions: Loz
Thanks Howzat, Tried locking with the key fob twice, light still flashes, tried locking manually with the key, light still flashes. I'm beginning to think it's just one of life's little mysteries that's outside my comprehension.

In that case it's like @Phil_G mentioned. It's showing the van is immobilised.
If you had an alarm the 2nd press/lock disables the motion sensors then the red light stops flashing.

Ah, OK sounds like Phil G and AussieMick are correct and I have no alarm just an immobiliser; so thanks for that. I'm not actually sure what is meant by "an immobiliser" ? I would guess it's something in the electronics to prevent the van being 'hot wired?
Thanks everyone for the helpful comments; it's not a big issue but I'm glad to have an explanation. The van is set up as a camper and I wouldn't want to trigger an alarm at 3am on a campsite!
I have gone through the handbook with a fine tooth-comb but unless I'm going blind or daft (both I concede are possibilities) I can't find any mention of the red Led on the door next to the lock button.... sometimes I think that my handbook is for a totally different vehicle :)

I expect you have a door switch issue as the alarm won't set until all the doors are closed, do you have the display on the dash showing door status?
Thanks Loz, the dash display shows when doors are open and the display goes off when doors are closed. From later comments it sounds like I don't have an alarm fitted.

Reactions: Loz
Back