Recovery vehicle on the way.....

I don't know whether I'm the only one, but when I read posts like this I always wonder a). was I right to buy a T6 in the first place, and b). does anyone have a reliable one??
(Not that I've had any issues with mine).
Whenever I read a post like this, I remind myself that I am on a one make forum with a very high concentration of users who might have come here researching a problem and there are thousands of vans on the road with no issues.

Was Deakys first post on this forum reporting a problem?
I honestly think that VW are in the middle of a quality wobble. Fuel pumps with metal particles inside, stop start with random loss of power in critical situations, dpf regens after 80 miles, EGR coolers on the 180, windscreens that crack if a fly hits it

And another price rise due. Looks like T6 buyers are picking up the tab for Dieselgate

I used to work in the mobile phone industry back in the 90s and we always had problems with a specific BT own brand phone. We get about 10 complaints each a day. I did the stats on all these complaints and it came to 3% of the total phone make in circulation. 97% of the happy users never got in touch.

Same principal here. Crap if you’re one of the 3%. But need to remember there are many more happy campers out there.

Been to the dealers today to collect a like for like DSG demonstrator to use rather than the Renault Traffic Sh*t heap that VW Assistance put me into. After multiple tests on VW’s instructions the dealers are expecting to be given the go ahead on Monday to replace the EGR cooler. :whistle: Whilst I’m pleased that it’s not a major fault the whole process seems to be strung out by VW’s poor communication system and the fact that the ‘mechanics’ are simply instruction followers and not really mechanics in the proper sense of the word. In my opinion, given the age of the van there should be a VW guru on hand at the end of the phone to sort out rare issues like this rather than the dealer sending a message and VW having 24 hours to respond.

Anyway, I should be back in my van by the middle of next week all being well :thumbsup:

Been to the dealers today to collect a like for like DSG demonstrator to use rather than the Renault Traffic Sh*t heap that VW Assistance put me into. After multiple tests on VW’s instructions the dealers are expecting to be given the go ahead on Monday to replace the EGR cooler. :whistle: Whilst I’m pleased that it’s not a major fault the whole process seems to be strung out by VW’s poor communication system and the fact that the ‘mechanics’ are simply instruction followers and not really mechanics in the proper sense of the word. In my opinion, given the age of the van there should be a VW guru on hand at the end of the phone to sort out rare issues like this rather than the dealer sending a message and VW having 24 hours to respond.

Anyway, I should be back in my van by the middle of next week all being well :thumbsup:
Fingers crossed it’ll get sorted quickly.

I would be asking where all that coolant went. Did it enter the cylinders?
Laughable that they charge 120 an hour plus vat for labour when their spanner stranglers don't understand what they are working on.

Still not got it back. Sick of the BS from the dealer. Despite them having the testing tool since Monday, they’ve only today conformed that the EGR cooler needs changing. Earlier in the week they told me that the EGR cooler was a simple job as its on top of the engine. Today they’ve told me that because I have a Bi turbo and DSG gearbox this makes it a longer job as its difficult to get to. They’re now saying Monday afternoon. All I can definitely say is I’m gonna thrape the f**k out of the loan van I’ve got tomorrow. :cry::cry::cry:

Last edited by a moderator:
Going to fetch it :smile bounce: The EGR cooler has a crack in it and has been replaced.

Ask to see the workshop report sheet. Take a photograph of it. Just in case of problems outside of warranty. That coolant went somewhere.
Keep an eye on the oil too, water contamination. Try and get a few free oil and filter swaps out of VW to flush the engine through a few times over the next few months.

Ask to see the workshop report sheet. Take a photograph of it. Just in case of problems outside of warranty. That coolant went somewhere.
Keep an eye on the oil too, water contamination. Try and get a few free oil and filter swaps out of VW to flush the engine through a few times over the next few months.

Good idea :thumbsup:

Rather than start a new thread. I'll resurrect.....

I have a very similar issue after 400 miles total !!!!! :eek:

Low Coolant warning suddenly coming on with no other symptoms beforehand. Van was with the ceramic film people at the time. They told me it had come on when they moved it out of the studio ready for me to collect. They run Transporters, so kindly topped up for me (assume to max level). Didn't think any more of it. Went to collect, started fine but there were comments that exhaust was a bit white not clear. Not thick white plumes, more a bit steamy looking (without wanting to be leading in that description).

Drove home 20.6 miles. Parking up and low coolant light came on !! Looked in reservoir and it was basically half full and therefore well below 'min'.

Immediately looked under van and around reservoir .... nothing to be seen in the way of a leak.

Rang VW who said top it up and drive it to the nearest local dealer. Rang Leighton Vans who said do not top it up, do not try and start or drive it.

Van trailered to selected dealer. Been there a week no news ... they claim VW are making them jump through hoops

Do some research on this and find very likely EGR Cooler. Could be something even worse also I guess??

In my technically ignorant and simple way, I distill this down after hours of Google research :

The coolant must've gone somewhere ? Apparently, it's the Engine, Gearbox or Exhaust.

If it is the EGR Cooler and it's replaced, this doesn't take into account any damage done to Engine, Turbo's, Exhaust or Gearbox..... by the coolant being there.

Therefore, even if the EGR Cooler is replaced, you are very likely left with a van that has damage to one or more of these systems. The degree of damage will dictate when in the vans life you will suffer the consequences.

As we all know, every single one of these items is a big £number to sort out and that excludes any aggro from possible breakdown on a long trip.

I also understand this is a common well understood problem VW are trying to brush under the carpet and fob us all off .

Am I pretty much bang on, bar technical details...... ?

Last edited:
Sounds exactly the same problem as I had. It was the EGR cooler on mine but it took 2 weeks to fix...

Exact same thing happened to mine at 900 miles. EGR was ‘faulty’ which caused the coolant to evaporate. Taken to dealer by V W Assist (AA) and EGR was replaced same day. No problems since but have only done 2000 miles in total. Now worried about any possible long term damage which may raise its head in the future. I always have emulsified oil around the filler cap, caused, I assume, by condensation in the engine.

Sounds exactly the same problem as I had. It was the EGR cooler on mine but it took 2 weeks to fix...

I'm not surprised. Mine's been in a week and we've got as far as " we suspect EGR" ... that was yesterday. No further news today !! I understand from VW guidelines, EGR replacement on a 204ps is 2 hrs. Therefore, a week in, I know it can only be VW f""king around :mad:

What was your position on collateral damage caused by a faulty EGR ?? .... and what did VW do for you??

Exact same thing happened to mine at 900 miles. EGR was ‘faulty’ which caused the coolant to evaporate. Taken to dealer by V W Assist (AA) and EGR was replaced same day. No problems since but have only done 2000 miles in total. Now worried about any possible long term damage which may raise its head in the future. I always have emulsified oil around the filler cap, caused, I assume, by condensation in the engine.

Interesting. Did VW say "evaporate" to placate your view that coolant might have damaged the engine, turbo's, exhaust, or gearbox by getting into any of those components as liquid??

If by "emulsified oil around the filler cap", you mean the 'white mayo' syndrome ? ... apparently that is common on the new Euro 6 engines as they don't run hot enough but supposedly it's not a problem. Many others I've checked with get it as well. I get it and just clean out with kitchen roll. Unsurprisingly, if you have this symptom you are meant to check your oil dipstick. If it's in there then you're in deep water

Last edited:
I'm not surprised. Mine's been in a week and we've got as far as " we suspect EGR" ... that was yesterday. No further news today !! I understand from VW guidelines, EGR replacement on a 204ps is 2 hrs. Therefore, a week in, I know it can only be VW f""king around :mad:

What was your position on collateral damage for a faulty EGR ?? .... and what did VW do for you??

Interesting. Did VW say "evaporate" to placate your view that coolant might have damaged the engine, turbo's, exhaust, or gearbox by getting into any of those components as liquid??

If by "emulsified oil around the filler cap", you mean the 'white mayo' syndrome ? ... apparently that is common on the new Euro 6 engines as they don't run hot enough but supposedly it's not a problem. Many others I've checked with get it as well. I get it and just clean out with kitchen roll. Unsurprisingly, if you have this symptom you are meant to check your oil dipstick. If it's in there then you're in deep water
I’m very particular about checking the dipstick carefully but the fact is that I have seen many T6’s with the Euro 6
Engine that don’t have emulsified oil around the filler cap. You say it’s ‘supposedly not a problem’; I don’t find that very reassuring. There isn’t anything in the vehicles handbook that says it’s normal.

Well ... I'm not a tech and I agree with you, I don't feel any different from you really. So, I just started asking around people with brand new T6's and it certainly seemed very common amongst those I asked.

I will be bringing it up with the dealer looking at my coolant loss issue as 'extra weight' to my position of being extremely dis-chuffed with what was supposedly the best van on the planet

@Shredder I'm truly sorry to hear of your problem so soon into your ownership. One of the advantages of the Forum is that you are not dealing with serious issues like this on your own, as you have discovered. You have now a number of other similar cases against which you can compare the treatment and response that you get from your dealership to ensure that you don't get the run around.

Should you believe that you are receiving a poor response then my advice would be to contact VWCC and escalate the issue to them to sort out the dealership. The beauty is that, because you used VW Assist, there is an audit trail of the incident that VWCC can access before they contact the dealer.

Mine's familiar with a recovery truck already, and it looks like its having another trip on one today.
Last night, 50 miles from home it lost power, going in to limp mode, accompanied by a flashing glow plug light and shortly after that the emmisions light. It wouldn't reset by restarting the engine, so it was a very slow trip home, peeing off the lorry drivers along the way. Its done it before, and assist reset it, reckoning it was just a glitch. This time they can take it away again.

Back