Recommend me a Multimeter

As per the title really. Want something fairly robust that will do AC & DC

TIA
How much do you want to spend? You can get a cheap non-descript Chinese eBay special for a tenner or spend a couple of hundred on a Fluke that has a similar spec. The other thing to consider is what do you actually want to measure? Is it just simple voltage - 0-20DC/0-250AC and continuity, or do you want to measure current/resistance, test diodes, log values over time etc.
I would only buy Fluke, but there are other quality makes out there, in no particular order:-
Metrotest
Robin
Metrel
Avo
Megger

I personally use a Fluke 117 I also have a 289

How much do you want to spend? You can get a cheap non-descript Chinese eBay special for a tenner or spend a couple of hundred on a Fluke that has a similar spec. The other thing to consider is what do you actually want to measure? Is it just simple voltage - 0-20DC/0-250AC and continuity, or do you want to measure current/resistance, test diodes, log values over time etc.
I would only buy Fluke, but there are other quality makes out there, in no particular order:-
Metrotest
Robin
Metrel
Avo
Megger
Thanks. I only need something that does the basics, simple voltage, continuity, vehicle and home electrics etc. was thinking more around the £30 mark rather than the cheapo Rolson one I had which didn’t bounce the first time I used it.

Cheap multimeter’s are fine for basic car electric’s but you do need to be a bit careful when you start measuring mains voltage as the safety aspect of some cheapo meters is not good. Personally I only use Fluke and Megger but I’m using them every day for my work. For something safe for mains electrics I would think you probably need to be looking at £60-70 upwards.

As above, fully recommend the UNI-T UT210E unit has got me out of a few problems in the past and battery lasts for ages.

How accurate is the clamp on do you know?

It seems quite good. It measured 17ma DC on something and I got the same reading with a meter with probes.

Key thing is clamping it on with no load, keeping it static, zero-ing it and not moving it while you apply the load.

Movement will cause erroneous readings.

Last edited:
My fluke 325 AC/DC clamp recently died on me so picked up one of these quickly from amazon to get me by and i would thoroughly recommend it. It does AC/DC clamp (DC clamp especially useful when working on automotive stuff). connects to your phone via bluetooth, so can be used for remote viewing and also for logging data and also comes with a temp sensor probe.

its a bit more 'plasticky' than the higher end stuff i normally use, but £ for £, they are a bargain! - Holdpeak HP-570S

Don't cheap out on anything that's going between you and 240V.

I have 3 different fluke meters/scope but for anything I'm gonna touch, and could hurt me, I use this;

The lights give instant indication of safe to touch or not. No confusion over if it's mV or V or where the decimal place is. Always test the tester first!

Back