Recall: 'quality improvement program'

Same but not 4m. I fill up about 60litres and that gets me around 370miles (600km) which is around 26-29mpg give out take miles and litres.

Why us UK folk measure is mpg and fill up in litres I'll never know.
It is because the EU insisted that weights and measures be metric but there was a massive campaign to retain Imperial for road signs and speeds. However, the Great British Public are left with either converting Miles or Gallons to achieve a recognizable figure for distance covered against fuel consumed. So the choice is miles per gallon (mpg) or kilometres per litre (kpl). However the recognized continental method of expressing the latter is litres per 100 kilometres thus making comparisons even more complicated.

Last edited:
It is because the EU insisted that weights and measures be metric but there was a massive campaign to retain Imperial for road signs and speeds. However, the Great British Public are left with either converting Miles or Gallons to achieve a recognizable figure for distance covers against fuel consumed. So the choice is miles per gallon (mpg) or kilometres per litre (kpl). However the recognized continental method of expressing the latter is litres per 100 kilometres thus making comparisons even more complicated.
Maybe in the post Brexit world we'll be able to buy our fuel by the gallon again :)

Had the software update, something to do with the charging system. Also had the passenger seat airbag recall too.

A lot less cost than switching all of the road signs the other way ;-)
Road signs will stay in miles and we will keep metric measures because to change is too costly and disruptive and we now have two generations that have grown up with it as is. It's also why we still drive on the left before anybody raises that old chestnut.

Last edited:
Yeah, but only one generation can count.. This new lot, your lucky if they can tie their laces.. Lol, oh and BTW, my boots are unlaced, as that way if I can't get to whoever has annoyed me fast enough, I aim a kick at them, and launch the boot! (What's known as putting the boot in? Lol).. And im quite a good aim! Lol

Yeah, but only one generation can count.. This new lot, your lucky if they can tie their laces.. Lol, oh and BTW, my boots are unlaced, as that way if I can't get to whoever has annoyed me fast enough, I aim a kick at them, and launch the boot! (What's known as putting the boot in? Lol).. And im quite a good aim! Lol
OK Hoppy, I wasn't even going to mention laces but now you've brought up the subject ....:rofl:

when you say "one generation" are you referring to an SNP generation?

An SNP generation for those who weren't aware is actually 4 years ;)

Yes it is biturbo - sorry for confusion, 150kw, 450Nm
Engine Code: CXE017867

Funny thing VW just called me to advise there's been a 'fix' for my engine failures, seems the same updates as originally posted in this thread.
Wonder why they let me drive around for a few weeks after 2 failures knowing this was available???
Shows VW don't have a bloody clue what they are doing on this issue.
@Dibbo, could you please double check the engine code from a sticker at driver's seat, next to hood opener (down from light switch), next to violet OBD/diagnostics connector (under the dashboard). Reason why ask is that 017867 looks like a code on reminder sticker on engine, and also the details of repair description you provided match with CXEB engine. And, you have also AdBlue-system?

Mine's been in today for the modification. I have to say, the service department at JCT 600 York are first rate.....seriously first rate.

Just to throw one in, mine's a 204ps euro6 CXEB engine, DSG, done just shy of 6k miles and all is well. Got a bit of gunk around the oil filler but I've been using it harder now and it seems to be disappearing. One thing that seems to be apparent though is that when i give it a bit more right foot, I actually get better MPG! Rather than going really steady up to the required speed I get those turbos spinning, gone from 28-30MPG to 30-34MPG on exactly the same routes. Damned if I know why, but it works...

Just to throw one in, mine's a 204ps euro6 CXEB engine, DSG, done just shy of 6k miles and all is well. Got a bit of gunk around the oil filler but I've been using it harder now and it seems to be disappearing. One thing that seems to be apparent though is that when i give it a bit more right foot, I actually get better MPG! Rather than going really steady up to the required speed I get those turbos spinning, gone from 28-30MPG to 30-34MPG on exactly the same routes. Damned if I know why, but it works...

Excellent o_O! I have observed the same happening. Instead of letting DSG decide for D6-D7, going to manual 4 (2600..2900 rpm) or just man 5 revving about 2200..2500 on my route – that’s what happens. But you get this “benefit” only when your mileage is bad.

I you have a possibility/interest, try following: record mileage of MFD(1) and reset every (about) 15-30 miles, whatever is convenient for you, can do on different days. Just record consecutive stretches up to total of 250 miles. To get comparable results a kind of same driving style is helpful, but no need to try to be extra economic, and let the DSG decide for you.

I would expect you to see your recordings go slowly from 26-28mpg up to even 46-48mpg, and then start over again. That’s what I see- wish I knew why:mad:, just doesn't seem to be right. I have observed and recorded/reported this for months now on my engine CXFA, and actually have done quite a few stretches with a CXEB, too.

EDIT (06/2022): An explanation for fluctuating fuel consumption on MFD.

Last edited:
5 star? Weren't they an 80's 5 piece band consisting of brothers and sisters?
Pretty sure two of them were recently on Pointless Celebrities.

Have mine for a Year, 45000 km on the clock. 8 l per 100 average. Driving it up to 200 km/h normal hiway driving 130-140.
I have no problems at all. I have changed oil 3 times till now at aprox 12000 km.
204 manual eu6
Sorry for your problems, I hope this will not come to me but thanks for sharing this because it is great experience.

I've noticed the same.......I now spend much more time in 5th (150 kombi manual) as opposed to 6th. I have a long dead straight stretch of road near me......several times I've changed between 5th and 6th and noticed that at lower revs, 6th uses more juice. Hardly scientific but it's got me thinking about the way I drive.......I'm definitely more inclined to let the engine spin more freely these days.

Back