SofaKing

T6 Guru
just got a notice from VW:
- software update
- change a pipeline in fuel system
- change a fuse for the secondary battery
- change a sensor in the exhaust system

Any one else?

Yes, partially. They did the hardware on mine already on 5th April. Then there was no software available, so we booked another timeslot for today (19APR) to check again. And, no updates for mine today.

Out there are at least two variants of 110kW/150hp on T6. The variants of 110kW/150hp I have seen this far are CXHA and CXFA. As there are quite many posts which have concerns about 150hp engines, I would like propose to attach also the engine code in future - hoping that would narrow down suspects. Please.

Mine is CXFA, and it had one software update in December. Also my DSG was updated just because there was an update available (not part of any campaign, but they checked and found an update). Anyways, I haven't noticed any change. With neither of updates was provided information what was changed.

At drivers seat, there is a sticker next to hood opener (down from light switch), next to violet OBD/diagnostics connector (under the dashboard). Or, another sticker is probably in your service book, mine has on page 1.

Mine is CXFA. @mmi: do you experience any trouble with yours? Mine works very good, no 'butter' in oil filler cap, no nothing....

Hi,
The car has fulfilled its basic function: it takes me from one place to another – 100% reliably :thumbsup: (this far). Though, the same engine fault code that seemed to kill the vehicle of Twoguns was on mine, too. But it did not even turn on engine light.

But unfortunately, not very economically :(. Currently I’m working on fluctuating fuel consumption of my vehicle. It is quite astonishing to notice how much it varies – I have seen values from 5,3 l/100km (53,3mpg) up to 10,4 l/100km (27,2mpg) under same conditions doing my regular everyday 30km trip to work, and same 30 km back home. Meaning the total average (of 20000km) is simply not acceptable – 8,7l/100km (32,5mpg).

I’m currently doing my drivings with VCDS-package recording sensors and actuators of the engine - hoping it would reveal where and how the "wasted" fuel goes. Besides my own vehicle, I have hooked my computer to a few other engines to collect data for comparison. Interestingly, good ones do their job spending very reasonable (less than) 6 liters/100 km - with very little fluctuation. Collecting data from similar but better performing engines seems to way to prove that everything is not right with mine. Besides fuel consumption also other measurements seem to align – for example, faster ash buildup in Diesel Particle Filter :confused:.

So, that’s work (hobbyo_O) going on, but I think I managed to convince technician at local VW service as they have filed “a report” into their system. I also provided him yesterday a package of data with questions and measurement values :thumbsdown: to get verified (to be either correct or incorrect for my engine). Hoping to get some response back…

Have you kept eye on your “Oil service counter” in MFD - Settings- Service- Info- Oil Service?

Hi,
The car has fulfilled its basic function: it takes me from one place to another – 100% reliably :thumbsup: (this far). Though, the same engine fault code that seemed to kill the vehicle of Twoguns was on mine, too. But it did not even turn on engine light.

But unfortunately, not very economically :(. Currently I’m working on fluctuating fuel consumption of my vehicle. It is quite astonishing to notice how much it varies – I have seen values from 5,3 l/100km (53,3mpg) up to 10,4 l/100km (27,2mpg) under same conditions doing my regular everyday 30km trip to work, and same 30 km back home. Meaning the total average (of 20000km) is simply not acceptable – 8,7l/100km (32,5mpg).

I’m currently doing my drivings with VCDS-package recording sensors and actuators of the engine - hoping it would reveal where and how the "wasted" fuel goes. Besides my own vehicle, I have hooked my computer to a few other engines to collect data for comparison. Interestingly, good ones do their job spending very reasonable (less than) 6 liters/100 km - with very little fluctuation. Collecting data from similar but better performing engines seems to way to prove that everything is not right with mine. Besides fuel consumption also other measurements seem to align – for example, faster ash buildup in Diesel Particle Filter :confused:.

So, that’s work (hobbyo_O) going on, but I think I managed to convince technician at local VW service as they have filed “a report” into their system. I also provided him yesterday a package of data with questions and measurement values :thumbsdown: to get verified (to be either correct or incorrect for my engine). Hoping to get some response back…

Have you kept eye on your “Oil service counter” in MFD - Settings- Service- Info- Oil Service?
Good to hear your systematic approach! The only way to prove anything.
I have the same issue with fluctuating fuel consumption. From my memory pretty much same as yours. Talked with dealer and they spewed out some mambo-jambo about my driving style must be the reason...

I've checked oil level, cant notice any consumption on last 4000km. No 'grease' in filler cap.

I've checked service info. Consistent with 20.000 minus milage. Any thing to be aware of here?

What fault code dis you have?

One thing I noticed in Carista was that the
-NMHC cat
-NOx/SCR
-PM filter monitoring
were changed from ready to not ready after the recall I were at. They must have changed or altered these components?
IMG_6299.jpg

Thanks for checking the “Oil service”-counter. That’s interesting, because mine has oil change interval of 40000 km. May be that’s different for different countries.

The reason I asked to check yours is that after oil change my counter goes down a lot faster than actual kilometers. After oil change it dropped in 1000 km right away down to 32500 km, which was quite a surprise. At each DPF regeneration my counter drops 300-1200 km but by driving it steps back up. Well, currently the counter has “aligned” with the kilometers driven since. Currently it predicts that I will reach oil change period of 27000 km (instead of max 40000km), which I can accept (being not full believer of “long life”-oils).

Yes, driving style is always nice argument, and cold weather, studded tires, etc. With this one the fluctuation is the strange part, and it is not just a few percents but double. Actually, with good ones I got on my “test track” results within 5%. There certainly is period of regeneration when engine burns some additional fuel, but it lasts only 15-20 minutes, so on good ones it isn’t the factor. And, for my measurements ECU tells when it starts and ends :thumbsup:.

With mine neither concerns with oil consumption, neither no mayo build up in oil-filler tube or cap.

The engine fault code on mine was "31103 - SCR NOx Catalyst Bank 1, P20EE 00 [039] - Efficiency too Low"

I’m assuming that those status messages on yours now “not ready” are because the software update resets quite many related counters. So, I would expect them return back to normal after a run or two. Did you get software update?

Hi all, new to forum really wish I had seen all this before buying last year)

Yes have had replacements, but not all and not by official VW letter, just our engine failing and being sent back to the dealer 3 times now.
- think I was one of the early failures setting off this type?

Love the bus, but it just got towed to the dealer for the 3rd time yesterday with the same engine failure.

I'm having a nightmare of a time getting Volkswagen Group Australia to recognise there's a major failure with the vehicle - they just ignore it and unless your engine explodes into pieces in front of them, send a tow truck to repair, it fails, repair, it fails, repair . . .until warranty runs out and I have to pay them for repairing an unsafe product they sold me.

Here's all the info I had from the last repair:
3 parts replaced:
VW7N0951253 Relay
VW7N0951253A Relay
VW04L906051F Sensor

Here's the report the VW service dealer gave us:
CARRIED OUT GUIDED FAULT FINDING. RETRIEVED FAULT ON EXHAUST
PRESSURE SENSOR CONTROL UNIT A - NO TEST PLAN PROVIDED IN ODIS. CHECKED PARTICULATE FILTER PRESSURE SENSOR VALVE VIA VALUE BLOCK IDE11896. REMOVED BRACKET FOR VACUUM SOLENOID VALVES AND TURBO BOOST INTAKE HOSE TO GAIN ACCESS TO THE EXHAUST PRESSURE SENSOR CONNECTION.
SCOPED G505 PINS T3E/1 - 4. 2 VOL TS AT ENGINE SIDE, T3E/2 0 VOL TS
GOOD EARTH, T3E/3 5.06 VOL TS - OK. THEN CHECKED CORRESPONDING
VALUE AT ENGINE CONTROL UNIT PIN T60/53 - FOUND AT 4. 2 VOL TS - OK. DETERMINED AN IMPLAUSIBLE SIGNAL FROM G505 EXHAUST PRESSURE SENSOR. REMOVED INTAKE BOOST HOSE TO GAIN ACCESS TO THE G505 PRESSURE SENSOR, REPLACED AS REQUIRED. CARRIED OUT MEASURED VALUE TEST DURING ROAD TEST AND FOUND ALL VALUES WITH IN SPECIFIED PERAMETERS. ROAD TESTED VEHICLE APPROX 50 KM'S TO CONFIRM NO FURTHER ISSUES -ALL OPERATING AS PER MANUFACTURER SPECIFICATIONS.

Owned a VW Passat R36 for 5 years, not a single issue at all, loved it . . . but sadly I wish I had seen all the T6 problems before buying last year . . .

Did they rush this engine to market too soon before testing all the emission/ exhaust parts???

Didn't know about the OBDeleven - have already ordered one to see what history changes have been made, etc.

Glad I have found this forum as it seems I'm far from the only one with engine issues here.

Dibbo

Ok, daft question, I'm wondering if these have been filled from factory with a dud supply of engine oil, as the oil in these is very specific, and the wrong type can stuff them, might be worth a question, or seeing if anyone has changed their oil at an early stage and not getting probs? @Dibbo , @Twoguns .. Just a thought..

Blimey @Dibbo that's terrible!
Make some noise on social media - it's got me a long way when I've had car/van issues.
That's really bad especially on such a nice van.

Sorry to read you have problems with your van as well@Dibbo.
Perhaps you and @Twoguns should start sharing and comparing recovery vehicle pictures. don't suppose you have the 150 DSG euro 6 engine as well do you?

Blimey @Dibbo that's terrible!
Make some noise on social media - it's got me a long way when I've had car/van issues.
That's really bad especially on such a nice van.

Tried but Volkswagen Group Australia blocked me in November 2016 after the 2nd Failure.

So instead I have the car for sale (wanna buy it??) - https://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Volkswagen-Multivan-2016/SSE-AD-4420865/?Cr=0
Even then 'someone' or 'some company' complained and that add is a shell of it's former self.

The original was a cracker and went viral - hence it was censored.

Love the car, sadly VW really don't care about customers when the product they sell is unsafe and has a problem.
Sad situation now, will be my last VW ever I feel :(

Sorry to read you have problems with your van as well@Dibbo.
Perhaps you and @Twoguns should start sharing and comparing recovery vehicle pictures. don't suppose you have the 150 DSG euro 6 engine as well do you?

Yep, here's it;s called the TDI450 for the torque figure, but it's the same type.

So sad they know there's a problem but won't fix it in advance, they wait for it to fail, leave you stranded then give it back to you, all with NO guarantee of ongoing safety?
You would think after all the emission issues they have had they would sort of be on the front foot with emission problems causing the vehicle to fail?

just got a notice from VW:
- software update
- change a pipeline in fuel system
- change a fuse for the secondary battery
- change a sensor in the exhaust system

Any one else?

Bugger, with I saw this before mine got towed Monday.
Anyone done a dyno run before getting this done - I would be interested to know if the software 'upgrade' reduces your power and torque to lower the emissions through the DPF.

Mine's at the dealer now for 3rd failure so will dyno regardless when back for reference.
If they change the figures through a software upgrade, without telling you in advance, then you would have excellent grounds for money back as your engine suddenly isn't the one you paid for?

Back