Rear Door Regrets?

I can only echo what others have said. I was looking at a new van for works use, and specified barn doors. A 12 month old used 204DSG LWB came up, with a tailgate. Significant price off new, but far less practical with the tailgate for getting stuff inside and out. Worst thing is in a parking space, you need to drive in (tricky) or reverse in then pull forwards to get stuff in. It does look much better however with a tailgate, although I don't spend much time looking at my van's ass. I would however have barn doors if I could have made the choice.

On the look out for a T6 and can't decide whether to go for tailgate or barn doors.

On Autotrader the majority of 16/17 plate vehicles seem to be barn doors, whereas my local dealer seems to have mostly tailgate, which seem to be a bit more expensive.

I prefer the tailgate look, but in reality what do you owners prefer, and have you all made the right decision or do you wish you'd had a different configuration?
Personal choice but Tailgate for me. Full visibility if window is fitted, shelter and easier to walk around when open if someone is parked close. Tailgates are generally more expensive though. Good luck.

Ian:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Another angle that hasn't been mentioned, if towing a trailer (especially box trailer/horse trailer) you can't open a tailgate but can still open 1 barn door

On the other hand, looking in the rear view mirror of barn doors, it looks straight back at the doors (with a window either side)

Whilst rear visibility is compromised slightly with barn doors, many people drive vans on just door mirrors.

Absolutely, just pointing out a minor niggle

Rear doors weren't a deciding factor for us buying our kombi with barn doors and had a tailgate on a t5 camper previously. Our kombi is used as a daily car and towcar and glad we ended up with the barn doors :thumbsup:

Windsurfing van much better with a tailgate, shelter, rigging area and barn doors blow closed too easily in the wind.
Mates with proper trade vans take barn doors every time as access is better for work and also you can rack the doors making a mini workshop at the back of the van.
Guess you can go with whatever suits you best,

Anyone who has loaded 20 or so 8x4 sheets under a tailgate will understand why they are crap for work - That said, I hate the way the barn doors smack you in the back unless they have been fully opened.

For nearly 30 years I'd always had vans with barn doors, but my current and previous T6s have been tailgate vans. Don't think I'll go back.

1FA09049-24DC-4ADD-874B-942A7CE5E94D.jpeg We went for tail gate , prefer the look . However it is proving to be a bit tricky when loading up the Thule easy platform .i have to load the van then fit the rack .The tow bar fitted was a detachable one and does rise quite high on the bumper line such that when the platform is fitted despite the feature which allows you to tilt the platform down it doesn’t drop low enough to allow the door lift. I think barn doors may have worked better . And to the point about driving rain.... it doesn’t matter what door you have , you still get soaking wet . So stay inside with cuppa ,relax and wait for it to stop ☔

Back