Rear bumper protector - do I need one?

osman

Steve O
VIP Member
T6 Guru
Hi I’ve just had a brand ne bumper fitted / painted it looks great along with re sprayed tailgate .
These protectors are they worth the time and money ?
My concern is grit and dirt getting under it and basically would the eventual removal leave the finish intact ? They obviously need to be stuck on pretty securely so how easy are they to remove without damaging the paint work ?

These protectors are they worth the time and money?
I noticed my protector has taken a few knocks recently - if it wasn’t for that, it’d have been the bumper. So it’s done it’s job, and can be replaced as and when.
My concern is grit and dirt getting under it and basically would the eventual removal leave the finish intact ? They obviously need to be stuck on pretty securely so how easy are they to remove without damaging the paint work ?
Even if grit does get between the protector and the bumper, who’s going to see it? It’ll tar the laquer, but that’s always going to be tarnished if you don’t have a protector installed. And it’s not like the old XR2 days where the body kit would allow rust to form on the metalwork.

The tape affixing mine to the bumper is so tough that I’ll be surprised if it doesn’t take some paint off with it, come removal time! Again though, any blemishes would be covered by the new protector.

If you’re worried about the sun fading it, why not go for a body coloured version?

And as you’ve just had paintwork done, give it a few weeks before affixing your protector, otherwise the paint may not have cured.

Just be careful, I had my rear bumper painted , I fit a new protector but decided I wasn’t keen as it was rubbing the bottom of my door so I removed it and it pulled all the paint off the bumper, this time I’m taking my chance, if I damage the bumper then I’ll fit one.

Personally I think they’re 100% worth it - I managed to scratch my bumper during the 6 weeks i had to wait for the protector ☹️ I went for the genuine black vw one and I think it looks really nice against starlight blue.
I think you may damage the paint on the bumper trying to remove it, but why would you want to remove it unless you are fitting another one in which case it doesn’t matter.

The OEM rear bumper is very fragile and totally cosmetic, I would fit a bumper protector.
That said there are probably some who would opt for the bumper protector protector!
I think it’s important not to get too precious about the beloved van and not restrict it’s use accordingly.

The OEM rear bumper is very fragile and totally cosmetic, I would fit a bumper protector.
That said there are probably some who would opt for the bumper protector protector!
I think it’s important not to get too precious about the beloved van and not restrict it’s use accordingly.

Hahahahahahahahaahhha. Have you read some of the threads on here? There are those, I'm sure, wouldn't take their vans out if it was raining! ;)

My T6.1 has plastic bumpers - would these bumper protectors fit on them too? Sounds silly but would love that additional protection because I load equipment in and out a lot.
I can only find photos online with them attached to painted bumpers haha

Hi…My vans just turned 3….Was given a bumper trim ( at 4 moths) …Never fitted it …..but have a slidepod that stops me dragging loads out the back…Its a fun truck not a work truck….IMO…if it enhances the look fit one….if it’s protection you want just be more careful :)

Hi…My vans just turned 3….Was given a bumper trim ( at 4 moths) …Never fitted it …..but have a slidepod that stops me dragging loads out the back…Its a fun truck not a work truck….IMO…if it enhances the look fit one….if it’s protection you want just be more careful :)
Lol about 90% of camera operators and focus pullers in the film industry in Australia use the Transporter loaded with camera, stands and trolleys. Just got the van fitted out and I’m so happy and proud to be a Transporter owner!

Hi @dj_ ……firstly didn’t you read your post …..read the first one …but I had an idea that may help…some bumper trims look unsightly but what about a fold out protector

700B6968-74F8-4851-AF69-33D438D90526.jpegAB554B07-D7BD-4F75-A55D-90752916B9AE.jpeg
it’s really just a bit of carpet…..:)

Reactions: dj_
My bumper had been repainted and had started to flake so I put the VW Carbon protector on and I’m pleased with it, and all the damaged areas have miraculously disappeared.
Also I can sit with the tailgate open facing outwards with my feet on the bumper without worrying about damage.

Does anybody know of decent clear/transparent protector?

I’d like to maintain the original paint colour.

Back