Removing a rear bumper protector

Northencampervan

VIP Member
Hi all,

My Rear bumper protector has lifted at one end, and has been rubbing the rear tailgate, leading to a small rust spot. Rather than re sticking it needs removing and a new one putting on nice and flat.

Any tips for removing a bit of stuck down trim like that, I don't want to dip into my nasty chemicals collection and trash the paint work.

It appears to be a combo of adhesive tape and some sealant.

I want to get this sorted before I start thinking about dealing with the rust spot.
Thanks!

I used a hairdryer on full heat and peeled it away a little at a time. Worked a treat. There was a peice of 3m tape going all around the outside of the trim on my one.

I used a hairdryer on full heat and peeled it away a little at a time. Worked a treat. There was a peice of 3m tape going all around the outside of the trim on my one.
Spot on, I've got a fairly weak old heat gun that should do the job.

The whole process is much easier on a hot summers day if you can wait.
Tar remover does a good job of removing adhesive.
If the bumper has ever been removed make sure that it is correctly installed on the tabs under the tailgate opening, it is easy to get this wrong when fitting and it will cause the bumper to be raised.

The whole process is much easier on a hot summers day if you can wait.
Tar remover does a good job of removing adhesive.
If the bumper has ever been removed make sure that it is correctly installed on the tabs under the tailgate opening, it is easy to get this wrong when fitting and it will cause the bumper to be raised.
Do you have a picture of where I should be look at for the tabs so I can check.
I really need to get it sorted its wearing away the paint on the base of the lip of the tail gate and I don't want it to get any worse.

You can’t see the tabs with the bumper fitted, find a photo of the bumper online and you’ll see them.
Push down on the bumper in the affected area, if the actual bumper (not protector) is flexing up and down I’d guess that it’s not installed correctly.
If you are sure (had van from new) that the bumper has never been off then it’s definitely not the case.

Do you have a picture of where I should be look at for the tabs so I can check.
I really need to get it sorted its wearing away the paint on the base of the lip of the tail gate and I don't want it to get any worse.
Exactly the reason why I removed mine. Mine was Hella with raised sections. I had to kneel on the bumper to open the tailgate before taking it off. My bumper doesn't look out of line though.

You can’t see the tabs with the bumper fitted, find a photo of the bumper online and you’ll see them.
Push down on the bumper in the affected area, if the actual bumper (not protector) is flexing up and down I’d guess that it’s not installed correctly.
If you are sure (had van from new) that the bumper has never been off then it’s definitely not the case.
I've not had it since new, but the protector is already peeling loose on on one side, and it looks like someone's bunged some sealant in there to try and stick it back down.

I thought remove it, see what the clearance is like then go from there.

Reactions: JDC
So just got the protector off and it’s clear it’s the bumper that’s not level, I think the bumpers been off, the bumper protector alone had three types of silicon holding it on.

Can bumper clips get properally refitted without a full removal? Or is it a bumper off job?

Must come off, be aware that it may as well be made of chocolate. I’ve put better quality plastic in my recycling bin. Especially weak around the wheel arches.
I suggest two people to minimise the risk of damage and some good trim tools.

Must come off, be aware that it may as well be made of chocolate. I’ve put better quality plastic in my recycling bin. Especially weak around the wheel arches.
I suggest two people to minimise the risk of damage and some good trim tools.
It’s clearly been off before, half the clips
Are mashed or missing. Few snapped ones on the side.

However I can report, I managed to get it fully loose with just one of the under clips still fixed and the sensors still connected. It pulled away enough the properly engage the overlapping sections where the clips on top are and it’s all gone back together nicely.

The old bumper protector has left an absolute mess, I now need to find one that’s as full with as possible to cover it all up.

Did you ever sort out the rust spot?? I've noticed the bottom lip of the tailgate where it rubbed has gone rusty on mine. I'll need to get it sorted before it gets worse.

Did you ever sort out the rust spot?? I've noticed the bottom lip of the tailgate where it rubbed has gone rusty on mine. I'll need to get it sorted before it gets worse.
I had a similar issue. The body shop guy ground down the protector where it was catching the tailgate and touched up the tailgate, after removing the rust. My front mud flaps were catching the doors, so he modified them and again touched up the paintwork, after removing the rust.

I took the protecter off a couple of months ago when I noticed it. Just need to get the tailgate touched up now. I know a guy who done a great job on my lads car so I'll go and see him this week.

Not sorted the rust spot yet, its on my list. New Bumper protector fitted though and looks clean and tidy.
I'm thinking its most likely bobbing to the local body shop, with it being right on lip, I think its a job for a professional.

I got a price to blow in the bottom of the tailgate to the first crease for £120. The painter has done my lads Fiesta after he was crashed into and did a brilliant job. I'll get that done, then get a flat black protecter for the bumper. The painter did tell me the rear quater panel had paint work done previously, so it could be the bumper that may be slightly out of sync.

You can buy a self adhesive chrome strip that fits across the bottom of the tailgate.
The ultimate test of line it up and stick it down first time, no second chance.

Back