Rear Bumper Protectors - How to remove?

Jfoz

T6 Pro
Evening all.

Had someone bumped into the back off me today in a maccys drive thru! Wasn't a huge distance between us and luckily it looks like the only damaged is a crack bumper protector.

Looking at a replacement and found this :

Was just seeing how easy it is to remove the old one and would the bumper need repainting if damaged before sticking new one on?

Thanks

I have been looking at one of these for a few weeks now as also want to protect bumper. Be interested in the replies before buying.

Evening all.

Had someone bumped into the back off me today in a maccys drive thru! Wasn't a huge distance between us and luckily it looks like the only damaged is a crack bumper protector.

Was just seeing how easy it is to remove the old one and would the bumper need repainting if damaged before sticking new one on?

Thanks
I would not have been able to look cause of the neck pain lol, lots of ones one eBay

Is it just a case of using a heat gun and pulling old cracked one off? Then remove old adhesive before fitting new one?

Evening all.

Thanks

Hi ..In most cases the bumper protector is stuck on using 3M type tape...so to remove is a case of applying a little heat and carefully lifting off .. clean area with alcohol wipes ( or similar) before fitting new one

edit . @Jfoz got in first ..Answered your own question ;)

Hi ..In most cases the bumper protector is stuck on using 3M type tape...so to remove is a case of applying a little heat and carefully lifting off .. clean area with alcohol wipes ( or similar) before fitting new one

edit . @Jfoz got in first ..Answered your own question ;)
It’s a pity your not local ..I’ve had a protector in The house for last 2 years never fitted it...it’s amazing the amount of van related stuff we keep :laugh::laugh:

I've also noticed that some of the sites that sell it mention to not fit new one in temperatures under 15 degrees. Should I wait till spring?

I've also noticed that some of the sites that sell it mention to not fit new one in temperatures under 15 degrees. Should I wait till spring?
The temp thing is about allowing the glue tape to stick correctly and cure...unless you apply heat and contact time ....unless it’s a real eye sore I’d wait :thumbsup:

Heat gun to warm the bumper and protector up, but do be careful to not overdo it.

I've tried to apply in cold temperatures and heated up the panels, cleaned with isopropanol, adhesive promoter and 3M tape etc. but long term the adhesion is not that good and ended up doing it again on a hot summer day.

Evening All,

I have a rear bumper and also a tailgate protector fitted but I'm looking to freshen up the van with some new trim.

Is there a safe way to remove these existing protectors without ruining the paint?

After a google search there seems to be a few people suggesting a hairdryer and then fishing line but that seems a little bodged?

First weekend away (@teamleisuredrive) and the rear bumper guard fell off ☹, leaving black lumps of hard material on the white bumper, which i am told is probably sikaflex.

So first off, how do I remove them to get a flat surface for a replacement, and second, any recommendations (I've used Rearguard on my cars before now) for a new cover?

Back