Rear Barn Door Not Opening

brother52

I have had a intermittent problem with the rear,( barn style), door not unlatching. The van is an 18 plate which I bought last February from a main dealer. I had it in a week ago to the same dealer that said it just needed adjustment. This worked up until yesterday but now the problem has come back with a vengeance yesterday and even worse today. It’s getting harder and harder to overcome this through perseverance of jiggling the key back and forward. Initially I thought it was the catch rather than the central locking as if it isn’t going to open there’s no feel of resistance when I try the handle. Just feels loose. There’s no access through the sliding door as the side is racked and shelved out for screws and nails, etc. It’s booked in tomorrow morning to the vow dealer I bought it from but wondered if this is an issue that’s come up before? It’s pretty embarrassing telling customers I can’t do a job cause I can’t get to my tools or materials in my van,( I am a carpenter). Also doesn’t help that I am losing money through the hassle. Does anyone know if I can overcome this if it happens again? Thanks for any help guys.

Thanks for the tip. I don’t have a lot of confidence in VW’s ability to sort it long term after last weeks fix didn’t last. Will try your tip the next time it happens....... Up to now it seems that leaving it for a few minutes then trying again is the only way to overcome it, hopefully your tip will mean I don’t get stuck. Will wait with baited breath the outcome tomorrow morning......

Dellmassive, let me know how you get on when yours goes back in. Got my lock changed under warranty a couple of days ago. Went out to the van this morning and the side door wouldn’t open. Granted, the barn door they fixed is still ok.......

Apparently there is a spring on the lock that’s sole purpose is in setting up the lock. This can rub on the return spring causing the assembly not to return. This is why some doors can remain closed whether opened with central locking or manually. If this spring is removed or adjusted so it doesn’t rub then the lock should work ok. This is something I saw recently on YouTube but haven’t had the time to check if it’s the cause of my back and side door not opening.

Apparently there is a spring on the lock that’s sole purpose is in setting up the lock. This can rub on the return spring causing the assembly not to return. This is why some doors can remain closed whether opened with central locking or manually. If this spring is removed or adjusted so it doesn’t rub then the lock should work ok. This is something I saw recently on YouTube but haven’t had the time to check if it’s the cause of my back and side door not opening.

It does sound like it's something like that tbh. The slightest push back on the handle and it's fine. I've watched a few vids so will give it a go to see if I can make a little tweak. Thanks

It does sound like it's something like that tbh. The slightest push back on the handle and it's fine. I've watched a few vids so will give it a go to see if I can make a little tweak. Thanks
Please post if that helps the situation out re that spring. I am still getting problems with the side door not opening but work means I don’t have time to look at it. Will probably be over the Xmas holidays before I get the time. I am very interested in how you get on with the same issue. Cheers, Gary.

Back