Real Wood Worktops

JasonW

VCDS User
T6 Legend
Hi

I'm looking for a supplier of 16mm solid oak worktop for T6 conversion.....

I can only seem to find 22mm or 40mm, but 16mm must exist as i have seen conversions with it fitted, as below..

Any help appreciated...

oak worktop.jpg

You are not likely to get anything wider than 300mm wide so you will have to plane a couple of boards down to required thickness and biscuit joint @Fish is you man for this

The picture looks like the thickness is around 22-25 mm I would have thought that any thinner would be more susceptible to warping

18mm Oak veneered MDF thats been edged. It will be a real wood veneer though.

18mm Oak veneered MDF thats been edged. It will be a real wood veneer though.
I was going to suggest this - that’s what I’ve gone for. Looks the part, and you can oil it.

My joiner said real oak would have been too heavy, apparently.

I was going to suggest this - that’s what I’ve gone for. Looks the part, and you can oil it.

My joiner said real oak would have been too heavy, apparently.
Veneered mdf will either be 19mm, (18mm mdf with a .5mm veneer either side) then it goes to 26mm, unless it gets done a special then its mega bucks. 18mm Oak MDF is about £40

Apparently its 22mm solid oak rather than veneered. I've found an online source for 22mm, but like previous poster mentions, I thought the weight aspect of it might be too heavy, so was looking for a lighter real wood alternative..

Does it have to be oak @JasonW. Just looking at the colour there, bamboo is not dissimilar. This is my work top, sourced from Evo design and lacquered. I was looking initially for butchers block oak. IKEA had something close but it's too thick. Solid bamboo is cheaper and weighs less. Just an idea.

20190421_125845.jpg

Last edited:
Does it have to be oak @JasonW. Just looking at the colour there, bamboo is not dissimilar. This is my work top, sourced from Evo design and lacquered. I was looking initially for butchers block oak. IKEA had something close but it's too thick. Solid bamboo is cheaper and weighs less. Just a idea.

View attachment 54606
Hi
Your van looks great was thinking of the evo design do you have any more pictures am pondering if I should fit myself or pay out over 20K for a conversion

Not in solid oak though @Fish. Not that I have found at the moment and I've done a fair bit of searching..

Does it have to be oak @JasonW. Just looking at the colour there, bamboo is not dissimilar. This is my work top, sourced from Evo design and lacquered. I was looking initially for butchers block oak. IKEA had something close but it's too thick. Solid bamboo is cheaper and weighs less. Just an idea.

View attachment 54606
That looks great @Dieseldonkey - what thickness is it?

I have the same dilemma - like solid oak but worried about the weight.

What about routing out the inside of the top that is too thick, leaving the original thickness on the edge for effect? A waste of good wood in some ways but may be the solution. That is what I would do if I needed it thinner and lighter. (Anything to get my router out again:))

What about routing out the inside of the top that is too thick, leaving the original thickness on the edge for effect? A waste of good wood in some ways but may be the solution. That is what I would do if I needed it thinner and lighter. (Anything to get my router out again:))
Cracking idea....

Back