RCD for outside 240V sockets.

Ayjay

VIP Member
T6 Legend
Can anybody recommend a RCD which will not trip in the event of a power cut or do they all do it as that’s what they're supposed to do?

I’ve currently got an of the shelf kit with the socket end outside (obvs) to feed power to the van EHU (and battery charger via a 240v socket) or battery charger in the car when we’re away in the van. I didn’t buy it from Tool Station but it’s identical to this one:

BG IP66 Outdoor Power Kit

The problem is that we get quite a few power cuts in my area which are usually due to birds (mainly swans) flying into overhead lines and whenever the power goes out (even a very brief blip) the RCD trips. When we’re at home or only away in the van for a week or two, that really doesn’t matter too much as the car battery will (should?) be OK but if we’re away for 6 weeks it might be a different story. Last year it went while we were on our way home from Greece (I had a text from Eon apologising) but I knew it would be OK as we were only a week away from home.

I’m not averse to changing the whole kit if necessary or cutting off the existing hard wired RCD and replacing it with a three pin plug along with a plug-in RCD if it does the job.

As always, thanks in advance for any advice.

Last edited:
@Ayjay

RCD Sockets - The Difference Between Latching and Non-Latching​

Latching RCD (Sometimes called Passive RCD)​

What is a passive RCD?​

When the power is lost due to an earth fault, the passive or latching RCD trips out and isolates the circuit it is protecting. Latching RCDs do trip during power cuts but they automatically reset once the power returns, so they are great for fridges and freezers and also for protecting remote/unmanned areas. This would also make them ideal for protecting some heating equipment set to "Frost Protection", fish tanks, and battery charging.

What @Bargy62 said, you can get both behaviours for different reasons.

In the garage I have a latching RCD socket for the fridges and freezers and a non latching for the dehumidifier and frost heater.

@Bargy62 - Cheers for that. The RCD is plugged into a wall socket in the kitchen and the cable goes out through the wall to the waterproof double socket on the outside - hope that makes sense! I'll Google for 'Latching RCDs' tomorrow but apologies in advance for the next silly question.

@Bargy62 @roadtripper. Just to say thanks again. I ordered the one that Bargy suggested (indeed, I had already ID'd that exact model as the favourite) and when I got the old one off realised that they were the same make with near identical outer cases so I never even needed to drill any new holes in the wall. Again, thanks.

Back