Rattling On Sliding Door - Driver Side

Matthew Reeves

Hi,
I’ve seen postings similar to this about people having rattling sounds going on for months.
When driving, I am hearing the sound to the side of my right ear.
I think it is to do with these parts attached as media - I don’t know what they are called, sorry.
The rattling is only when driving at slower speeds i.e. not on the motorway etc.
Is this something someone familiar with and also what would the advice be to stop the rattling.
Appreciate any advice as I am not sure what to do or try as solutions.

Matthew

Hi
Might be your wing mirror. I have a door rattle but know it started just after my mirror was hit by a van coming the other way. the mirror looks perfectly OK but suspect a broken part inside. I haven't looked at it as I always seam to find something more important to do. Good luck

My offside door rattles lightly as well. I think it is the trim around the door latch. When I reach round and hold it whilst driving, it stops the rattle.

Hey.I had the same on my transporter T6 ansd i also came now in my 2017 multivan.I use silicon spray at dth rubber stoppers.In the bottom in the back of the door and In the top of the front of the door.
Quiet now :)

I've had an annoying metallic rattle over my right shoulder for a while now... got the wife in the back last night to diagnose where it was coming from and it stopped if she put outward pressure on the glass. I suppose by default, that would also put pressure on the door itself. It's a powered Caravelle slider.

The van's only a month old so I've got it booked in with VW next week.

Same issue I had, sounded like the door was going to fall off it rattled that bad. Vw kindly diagnosed it was the door pin guides on the B post. If you put some tissue in the holes, close the door and test to see if it stops the rattle

I've had an annoying metallic rattle over my right shoulder for a while now... got the wife in the back last night to diagnose where it was coming from and it stopped if she put outward pressure on the glass. I suppose by default, that would also put pressure on the door itself. It's a powered Caravelle slider.

The van's only a month old so I've got it booked in with VW next week.

Any update on this ?

Any update on this ?

I'm booked in to VW for Friday so I'll have an update then. I haven't tried the tissue in holes method as it looks like there's a small hole at the end of the slot and I don't want to end up with bits of paper going in there. Just hoping VW have a more permanent fix than that!

Hope they sort it, I'm booked in Friday but for other issues so doubt they will look at another problem. Keep us posted please.

Hope they sort it, I'm booked in Friday but for other issues so doubt they will look at another problem. Keep us posted please.
Just mention it when you drop it off, especially if they are going to perform a road test after fixing your other issues

Just had a call from VW to say they can't hear the rattling. I did say to them that it's much worse in the cold and it's been 12-14 degrees all day so they probably won't hear much. I thought they'd recognise that others have had this problem and know to tighten an adjustment screw or something to make the door sit tighter. I'm going to have to bodge this myself it seems. Shocking with a £60k+ vehicle.

Just had a call from VW to say they can't hear the rattling. I did say to them that it's much worse in the cold and it's been 12-14 degrees all day so they probably won't hear much. I thought they'd recognise that others have had this problem and know to tighten an adjustment screw or something to make the door sit tighter. I'm going to have to bodge this myself it seems. Shocking with a £60k+ vehicle.
I have the same problem. Quiet when bought but became more obtrusive as time passed by. I have not taken it to the dealer and have little faith that they might sort it out. I can imagine driving into some frantic city or town waiting around for hours or being asked to leave it with them only to be told it does not exist. Probably have some idiot drive ino it as well or have some other inconvenience. If it was a swing door I would adjust it myself presuming that a loose is what the problem is . Sliding doors appear to be a little more complex and some experience might be required to quieten it without adding to the problem.

Did you ask them to check the door guides on the B Pillar and door itself?

Did you ask them to check the door guides on the B Pillar and door itself?

Yep... Just back from taking one of the mechanics out where he could hear it straight away. He seems to think it's a metal clip that holds the trim on that needs some packing out. The downside to that is it's not a 5 minute job so I'm going to have to book it back in for another day. Annoying that they couldn't have diagnosed that at 9:30 this morning when it was dropped off!

I have the same problem. Quiet when bought but became more obtrusive as time passed by. I have not taken it to the dealer and have little faith that they might sort it out. I can imagine driving into some frantic city or town waiting around for hours or being asked to leave it with them only to be told it does not exist. Probably have some idiot drive ino it as well or have some other inconvenience. If it was a swing door I would adjust it myself presuming that a loose is what the problem is . Sliding doors appear to be a little more complex and some experience might be required to quieten it without adding to the problem.

At least I've been able to have a mechanic acknowledge the problem so they can't now say it doesn't exist.

I have this on my 6.1 Caravelle and has been ongoing for 3 months with the dealer. They are adament that the door card is the issue and been waiting for 6 weeks as now on back order. They wont do a temporary job as they need to send it back and its dong my head in.
Every time they look at it the noise becomes louder and is more metallic I am sure it is not the door card but the front top roller is there any way I can test this?

I have this on my 6.1 Caravelle and has been ongoing for 3 months with the dealer. They are adament that the door card is the issue and been waiting for 6 weeks as now on back order. They wont do a temporary job as they need to send it back and its dong my head in.
Every time they look at it the noise becomes louder and is more metallic I am sure it is not the door card but the front top roller is there any way I can test this?

I'm still waiting to get mine sorted (next week) but my door card does bounce around freely when you press on it and it does have a metallic sound. Maybe the "Scouse tape" (!?? dealer's words) will sort it - not sure a new door card would be any better if there's enough slack in them from the factory to allow them to move around.

I hope you get somewhere with your dealer - 3 months of that rattling would have me selling the thing!

I'm still waiting to get mine sorted (next week) but my door card does bounce around freely when you press on it and it does have a metallic sound. Maybe the "Scouse tape" (!?? dealer's words) will sort it - not sure a new door card would be any better if there's enough slack in them from the factory to allow them to move around.

I hope you get somewhere with your dealer - 3 months of that rattling would have me selling the thing!
Hi. I’m new to the t6 forum but thought I would share some info. I have had a persistent rattle at slow speeds from the side door on my Generation Six. I think I have found the problem. Where the electric contacts panel is screwed to the door panel there are 2 floating pieces of metal that the screws engage into. Try padding these out and then tighten up nice and snug. This may be a solution. Hope it helps.

Back