Rattles and squeaks from drivers’ seat

cy294

VIP Member
T6 Guru
Help, I have a knocking noise I think that is coming from underneath the drivers seat. I have looked underneath and taken the seat of the bracket, looked as best I can but can't find anything obvious.

The noise happens when I turn a corner or go round a roundabout, I can only describe it like something rolling from one side to another. However, as I've said, I've checked underneath and can't see anything. It's literally driving me mad.

Any ideas?

TIA

Are you sure its not one of the shocks knocking..?

Is is standard suspension or has it been modified...

Some people with this type of noise have thought it to be internal but it actually turned out to be something knocking against the body externally... such as a shock mounting...

Just a thought... let us know how you get on..!

Are you sure its not one of the shocks knocking..?

Is is standard suspension or has it been modified...

Some people with this type of noise have thought it to be internal but it actually turned out to be something knocking against the body externally... such as a shock mounting...

Just a thought... let us know how you get on..!
Evening, thanks for the reply. I've had the van lowered, but the noise was there before this. I've tracked down to the rear of the seat in the area of the wheel knob which you turn to recline the seat. I've taken this off and the rear of the fabric but can't seem to trace it. It's driving me mad.

Help, I have a knocking noise I think that is coming from underneath the drivers seat. I have looked underneath and taken the seat of the bracket, looked as best I can but can't find anything obvious.

The noise happens when I turn a corner or go round a roundabout, I can only describe it like something rolling from one side to another. However, as I've said, I've checked underneath and can't see anything. It's literally driving me mad.

Any ideas?

TIA

Have you checked the arm rest? they are a known problem area for rattles and knocking sounds, that cause some people to virtually strip their Van's apart to find problem

Have you checked the arm rest? they are a known problem area for rattles and knocking sounds, that cause some people to virtually strip their Van's apart to find problem
I've taken off some of the plastic trim and unclipped the material from the back and had a look. I'll have a look again tomorrow at the arm rest, in better daylight.

Thanks, keep the suggestions coming.

Does the sound go away with the arm rests up instead of down..?

Does the seat have height adjustment as well as lumber adjustment..?

Might be worth adjusting these all the way one way, then the other to try and rule out the seat.

With the seat removed was there anything obvious on the bottom of the seat..?

Does the sound go away with the arm rests up instead of down..?

Does the seat have height adjustment as well as lumber adjustment..?

Might be worth adjusting these all the way one way, then the other to try and rule out the seat.

With the seat removed was there anything obvious on the bottom of the seat..?
Just taken the seat off the base and I've tracked the noise to the wheel knob that reclines. Feels as if something is loose or maybe the rod inside has worked looses and is going side to side. But just can't seem to access the mechanism.

Glad to hear you may have located the noise...

Does the recline function of the seat still work..?

I would of thought if the rod had detached it wouldn't recline...

Hope you get it sorted..!

Glad to hear you may have located the noise...

Does the recline function of the seat still work..?

I would of thought if the rod had detached it wouldn't recline...

Hope you get it sorted..!

Thanks for your reply. The seat does recline, but having taken off the wheel knob which you turn for recline, I can see that there is a small hole which is in the centre of the rod. The noise seems to be coming fro this area, so I have emptied some silicone I to there in the hope it sorts it. Otherwise it's ear defenders or music on constantly. Fingers crossed.

Having spent the best part of a year hunting down rattles I’ve finally got rid of 90% of fixable ones however as the van gets ever quieter I’m noticing the dreaded drivers seat squeak !!!! Argh
It’s over bumps mainly .. does anyone have a diagram of where any springs are or how to find the most likely cause of these extremely annoying sounds so I can start the inevitable process of gradually pulling the seat to pieces and fixing it ...
it’s a standard t6 drivers seat no swivel. But does have leisure battery installed below. I’m thinking of investing in some leather fitted seat covers so would really like the noises fixed before I shell out about £800 on them .. cannot imagine how annoying a wonderful leather drivers seat that squeaks like this would be ...

I had the dreaded seat squeak and fixed it over the weekend. It is the seat height mechanism that causes it. I popped the plastic cover off the rear of the seat, jacked it up as high as it would go while looking to see what was moving, then squirted white silicone grease onto said moving parts, jacked it up and down a few times to get the grease where it needed to be and no creaking noise ever since.

I had the dreaded seat squeak and fixed it over the weekend. It is the seat height mechanism that causes it. I popped the plastic cover off the rear of the seat, jacked it up as high as it would go while looking to see what was moving, then squirted white silicone grease onto said moving parts, jacked it up and down a few times to get the grease where it needed to be and no creaking noise ever since.
Of course ! Brilliant reply thank you

Back