Rattle - from my rear end!

t6blo

VCDS User
VIP Member
T6 Legend
Got a very annoying rattle coming from inside the back of the van - it is a metallic rattle noise that only happens when going over bumps/potholes.

I think it must be either the barn doors or the 3 seater Kombi bench tipping/release mechanism - there is no other metal bits around that area.

Anyone had similar or got ideas please?

Ok I’ve got the same thing ..
it’s not spare wheel holder or spare wheel
it’s not the jack
it’s not the tailgate .. I’ve adjusted the two rubber stoppers with no effect .

I've also taken out my ply flooring to make sure it was nothing to do with that ..

Something is moving about and rattling under the floor in a way that sounds identical to something rattling inside the back of the van ..
It’s driving me insane as I’m doing a lot of driving recently and the problem cannot be replicated by physical movement of the van .. it’s only happening when on the road .. around 20-30 mph is when I notice it most but it can easily be heard at slower speeds .

When I get faster than 30mph the noise stops .
sharply braking does nothing except throw any contents of the van forwards .. the rattle continues ..

it’s like a rock rolling around in the back of the van .. absolutely horrible noise and worry’s the hell out of me what’s happening .. it’s also getting worse and more constant.
exhaust pipe seems pretty stable .. but I’m unable to get under the van properly to locate the problem .. could it be the suspension ?

it’s really getting under my skin now I’ve tried everything .. at least the problem is now so bad anyone could notice it immediately so I can’t imagine it being checked by a mechanic and then them say they can’t replicate the problem .
At first it was intermittent and was hard to diagnose with stuff in the van .. but after emptying contents today And giving a test drive the noise is totally obvious now .. it’s really quite loud and sounds as if something is rolling / banging around in the rear of the van

Last edited:
Ok I’ve got the same thing ..
it’s not spare wheel holder or spare wheel
it’s not the jack
it’s not the tailgate .. I’ve adjusted the two rubber stoppers with no effect .

I've also taken out my ply flooring to make sure it was nothing to do with that ..

Something is moving about and rattling under the floor in a way that sounds identical to something rattling inside the back of the van ..
It’s driving me insane as I’m doing a lot of driving recently and the problem cannot be replicated by physical movement of the van .. it’s only happening when on the road .. around 20-30 mph is when I notice it most but it can easily be heard at slower speeds .

When I get faster than 30mph the noise stops .
sharply braking does nothing except throw any contents of the van forwards .. the rattle continues ..

it’s like a rock rolling around in the back of the van .. absolutely horrible noise and worry’s the hell out of me what’s happening .. it’s also getting worse and more constant.
exhaust pipe seems pretty stable .. but I’m unable to get under the van properly to locate the problem .. could it be the suspension ?

it’s really getting under my skin now I’ve tried everything .. at least the problem is now so bad anyone could notice it immediately so I can’t imagine it being checked by a mechanic and then them say they can’t replicate the problem .
At first it was intermittent and was hard to diagnose with stuff in the van .. but after emptying contents today And giving a test drive the noise is totally obvious now .. it’s really quite loud and sounds as if something is rolling / banging around in the rear of the van
Did you ever get to the bottom of it? As I’m having it with my brand new T6.1 and it is driving me nuts. The van is empty and Iv looked at everything

In the bottom edge of the tailgate is a child lock switch (I'm not sure what you have or if the barn doors have similar). This has popped out on mine a couple of times and while it is attached to wires it does slide about and rattle. It could well sound like a stone sliding about although not that loud.
IMG_5642.jpg

Last edited:
Did you ever get to the bottom of it? As I’m having it with my brand new T6.1 and it is driving me nuts. The van is empty and Iv looked at everything
As far as I recall .. as I had a number of these that I went through .. it was my spare wheel .. they had put an under sized spare on so the holder bracket was loose ! ..
the Jack can also be an issue too get rid of it to eliminate that too .

In the bottom edge of the tailgate is a child lock switch (I'm not sure what you have or if the barn doors have similar). This has popped out on mine a couple of times and while it is attached to wires it does slide about and rattle. It could well sound like a stone sliding about although not that loud.
View attachment 223705
Ok thank you. I will look. As I just drive with the rear seats flat and it still did it ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ keep you posted

As far as I recall .. as I had a number of these that I went through .. it was my spare wheel .. they had put an under sized spare on so the holder bracket was loose ! ..
the Jack can also be an issue too get rid of it to eliminate that too .
Ok will check that too. Thanks

I've just read my original post so that was after the spare wheel drama .. the next pita I dealt with was the sliding door motor that had come loose ( my own fault as I fitted it ) but that was another mystery that took a while to solve … I can’t quite think of any other cause that I’ve eliminated .. but good luck these things can only be solved through elimination … one of the worst was the trim around the dash board rattling against the glass .. oh and have a fish around for drooped pens coins keys … enjoy your new van lol

I've just read my original post so that was after the spare wheel drama .. the next pita I dealt with was the sliding door motor that had come loose ( my own fault as I fitted it ) but that was another mystery that took a while to solve … I can’t quite think of any other cause that I’ve eliminated .. but good luck these things can only be solved through elimination … one of the worst was the trim around the dash board rattling against the glass .. oh and have a fish around for drooped pens coins keys … enjoy your new van lol
Ha ha thanks. I love it, but it’s driving me nuts. I really think it’s something to do with rear seats. But will carry on the investigation and see. Will definitely look at these other things too

I eventually tracked my noise down to the barn doors/tailgate - there are two ‘bump stops’ that can be adjusted (wound out) with a small Allen/hex/torx and by winding them out it keeps the doors/tailgate under tension.

Ok il have a look thanks. So I thought it was the tailgate and where it had been played and carpeted. Thought I’d sorted it. As yesterday had the dogs on the back seats and thought it had gone once I’d played with tailgate. Then today no dogs on seats and it was back. So it has to be the seats. I’m thinking it’s the single. But can’t figure it out. It is driving me nuts

Back