Random question about Electric Hook-up.

Stewby

Nurse
T6 Guru
Hello.

Very random question (sorry). We use our van on my parent's driveway. Currently (don't judge me) my dad takes the electric hook-up point apart to feed it through the letter box as the whole end bit doesn't fit through. We then feed the cable through and remake it so that we have power outside.

Is there a way to do this as a more permanent fix?? You know like a male/female connector or kettle connection. Something a bit safer to disconnect then reconnect. Possibly even something we can use at short notice (that someone who is as electrical incompetent as me) and that is small enough to fit through windows and letterboxes and stuff.

Haven't done a search as I have no idea how to even begin searching for it. No clue if it is even possible. Or if something that can do this already exists.

So, yeah... basically. we have a house plug then the blue connection thing which attaches to the blue connection thing on our cable which then goes to our van. I hope this makes sense.

Or just get another EHU cable long enough to reach an internal mains socket,, then instead of disconnecting the blue plug part every time, just put a permanent 3 pin mains plug on the end fused appropriately for your Vans consumer unit...

Most 3 pin plugs should go through a letterbox.... So would do the job without re-wiring it every time...

You can fit an external hook up socket to the outside fed from a fused spur. I will get you some pics of mine.

I’ve installed a ip rated 13a socket outlet near where the van is parked. I’m lucky as my consumer unit is in my garage. Look inside for a socket which is closest to the van outside and should just be a case of drilling straight out the back from inside out. Not everyone’s cup of tea to try but a electrician shouldn’t charge you the earth for that.

Here is ours fed from a socket on the otherside via a fused switch. Can pick them up at screwfix or similar
20201227_164502.jpg

Reactions: JOG
Thank you for all the replies. I am attempting to get Dad to put in an external socket like suggested above.

Sounds promising. He is away to ask mum if there are finances available.
:laugh:

I keep mine on the drive hooked up to an outside socket. It’s always ready to go and also it’s set up so that the hook up keeps the driving battery topped up.

Thank you for all the replies. I am attempting to get Dad to put in an external socket like suggested above.

Sounds promising. He is away to ask mum if there are finances available.
:laugh:
I’d try and just get a normal socket.. has far more uses for outside jobs. Then you can get/make a 13a to 16a commando converter. Just a suggestion :thumbsup: if the hook up serves you better go for it.

sorry to state obvious but get a blue plug, 3 pin or whatever that is backed up with a tested rcd. hate screwfix for this reason they sell and have no idea what part is going to be used for........

sorry to state obvious but get a blue plug, 3 pin or whatever that is backed up with a tested rcd. hate screwfix for this reason they sell and have no idea what part is going to be used for........
They sell you the parts it’s on you to make sure they are installed safe.

Last edited:
Best to get pop to fit a proper outdoor socket, think of it from the postman's point if view, sticking his fingers through a metal letterbox with a live cable threaded through without any protection from chafing or rat chomping... :)

Also the more he takes the EHU plug on and off the more likely that one day on autopilot he gets it wrong and the van body is live, or he forgets to unplug before dismantling it...

Last edited by a moderator:
why interesting or why rcd protected?
Why should the outdoor socket be rcd? I am assuming that one is tapping off an existing ring to provide the feed and that the ring is correctly looped to the board. So, a switched, fused spur I understand, but why have an rcd socket as well?

I keep mine on the drive hooked up to an outside socket. It’s always ready to go and also it’s set up so that the hook up keeps the driving battery topped up.
Hi, do you keep it permanently hooked up? Just wondering as I’ll be keeping mine on the drive and wasn’t sure whether to top up intermittently or just easier to leave permanently hooked up.

Back