Public service announcement - swivel bases

WHSE

VIP Member
T6 Pro
I'm pretty relentless when it comes to researching products online and reading as much as possible on this forum. But, after fitting a Rusty Lee Swivel base I wanted to share what I've found which I don't think I was entirely expecting -

1) Added height. It's fairly obvious they will add some height but my advice is to consider whether you will be comfortable with approximately 30mm additional height because it really does make a big difference.

2) Stability. They are well made but the physics at play of a plate which is suspended around a central pivot means they flex, and this makes the seat less stable than before, kind of bouncy front to back and left to right.

For me and my other half the height is a problem, so much so I'm now looking into lowered seat bases (glad I don't have a leisure battery). The wobble seems unavoidable with a Swivel base. It's not too bad when sat in it driving, but move the seat around and when empty it jiggles.

Just thought I'd share in case, like me, you are taken in by the various videos and product briefs that the Rusty Lee swivels are the best going. I'm sure they are great but generally speaking it appears as though a swivel base does come with some compromises.

Hope this helps others

I don’t have this type of swivel base and they certainly don’t wobble.
That's interesting.

One thing I didn't make clear is I'm talking about a single seat base, not a double. Is yours single or double and do you mind me asking what brand it is?

The double seat swivel we had in our T6 full camper was solid but we've since changed to a T6.1 Kombi with two captains seats.

That's interesting.

One thing I didn't make clear is I'm talking about a single seat base, not a double. Is yours single or double and do you mind me asking what brand it is?

The double seat swivel we had in our T6 full camper was solid but we've since changed to a T6.1 Kombi with two captains seats.
2 x singles, supplied and fitted by New Wave Custom Conversions. Not cheap but no issues.
Uses a very large nylon bearing

I’ve got the rusty Lee swivel, I agree about the 30mm height increase, Jennings do a lowered base at £179 which is 30mm lower if you are thinking of changing. You should be able to sell your original base to recover some money

OEM swivels here on both seats and centainly no any kind of wobbles. Height is still an issue for swmbo though, so I had to obey and set up additional foot support.

Reactions: mmi
Safe base from JK
The right height and a safe! No wobbles. What’s not to love?

Me thinks you might be biggin up the research you did a little too much. ;)

Rusty Lee here, single swivel. Bought from THQ so assume it’s not a previous model etc etc but mine definately wobbles when empty,

So much so, I’ve bought some rubber door stops that I wedge front and back to take up any slack in the bushing when I’m driving and don’t need to spin it. Works well doesn’t rattle etc but definately has flex in it.

Seeing the arm rest on passenger side wobbling while driving was driving me mad, to the point of almost removing it completely

OEM swivels here on both seats and centainly no any kind of wobbles. Height is still an issue for swmbo though, so I had to obey and set up additional foot support.
Likewise, factory swivels here, rock solid.

I went for the Jennings lowered seat base and sportscraft swivel which has nylon rollers to help remove any wobble. Great combination but does prevent most leisure battery options being installed as you only have 145mm height available. I only have driver seat swivel due to this, but considering fitting the sportscraft to the passenger standard base and going back to the normal base with no swivel on the driver seat. It’s very rare I’d benefit from having both seats spun round and the passenger one is easier to spin as there is no handbrake or steering wheel to squeeze past.

Reactions: CAB
I have a rusty Lee passenger side single swivel, and agree with the other comments about them wobbling when empty
I will need to look into fitting some kind of wedge

Back