Public service announcement - swivel bases

My choice has always been Sportscraft for single swivels in a T5 or T6, we've had one with OEM swivels but they were no better.
The new MAN TGE has OEM swivels but just like OEM on a T5/T6 the seat won't rotate without opening the front door! I can't imagine what VW were thinking when they designed these seat swivels!

Reactions: CAB
I've tried all sorts of swivels on 2 vehicles in the last 2 years or so. I can confirm that that quality and design of swivel bases vary significantly.

I have a large leisure battery under one my drivers seat and less of a height restriction under the passengers seat, but I thought that CTA swivel seat bases looked the best because they have a large ring to give stability and airflow to the bases, whilst leaving the space under the seat free. I was wrong on the stability front! It was like being on a boat and the wobble on the empty passenger seat was distracting and irritating!

I changed to Sportscraft and they are brilliant! I have one Sportscraft base (with the big nut on the underside) fitted to the passenger side. This barely increases the height of the seat and on the drivers side I fitted the Sportscraft base with the big nut on top, to provide clearance for the underseat battery. There is a slight increase in seat height on the drivers seat but it is barely noticeable when compared to the height increase on the CTA bases! There is no rock n roll with either Sportscraft base.

I also have had a JK Safe type swivel, which is rock solid and seems to have no increase in seat height. This is fitted to the passenger side of my camper. It is brilliant for secure storage and a good base. On the drivers side I didn't even have room for the Sportscraft base and used a swivel made by RIB. No complaints in this, other than it isn't as easy to swivel and was bloody expensive, but it is rock solid and doesn't seem too high.

Sounds like too much research is a bad thing as this is what initially led me down the CTA path! Anyway, I sold them (away from the forum) and just try to forget the wasted dosh!

I have Kiravans single swivels. They do raise the height but my Shuttle has adjustable seat height so I can compensate some, though it does move up and forward or down and back which can be annoying if you want up but not forward. They have nylon stops a bit like an hour glad in shape which deteriorate but after enquiring with Kiravans they send me some out FOC! [Great customer service]. There is a slight feeling of rocking movement in the swivels but they are pretty much solid, so it isn't annoying. All round I like them and having rear facing seats when parked up is great!

I've tried all sorts of swivels on 2 vehicles in the last 2 years or so. I can confirm that that quality and design of swivel bases vary significantly.

I have a large leisure battery under one my drivers seat and less of a height restriction under the passengers seat, but I thought that CTA swivel seat bases looked the best because they have a large ring to give stability and airflow to the bases, whilst leaving the space under the seat free. I was wrong on the stability front! It was like being on a boat and the wobble on the empty passenger seat was distracting and irritating!

I changed to Sportscraft and they are brilliant! I have one Sportscraft base (with the big nut on the underside) fitted to the passenger side. This barely increases the height of the seat and on the drivers side I fitted the Sportscraft base with the big nut on top, to provide clearance for the underseat battery. There is a slight increase in seat height on the drivers seat but it is barely noticeable when compared to the height increase on the CTA bases! There is no rock n roll with either Sportscraft base.

I also have had a JK Safe type swivel, which is rock solid and seems to have no increase in seat height. This is fitted to the passenger side of my camper. It is brilliant for secure storage and a good base. On the drivers side I didn't even have room for the Sportscraft base and used a swivel made by RIB. No complaints in this, other than it isn't as easy to swivel and was bloody expensive, but it is rock solid and doesn't seem too high.

Sounds like too much research is a bad thing as this is what initially led me down the CTA path! Anyway, I sold them (away from the forum) and just try to forget the wasted dosh!
Is the sports craft base compatible with a heated seat as it has no pass through the centre?

Is the sports craft base compatible with a heated seat as it has no pass through the centre?
Yes. I have heated seats and all the swivel bases that I have tried have a hole through the centre which allows the heated seat and airbag cables to pass through.

The Sportscraft seat bases I have are like the below links:

The base which gives some room for a battery in seat base:

I have the below swivel fitted to my passenger seat as my LB is under my drivers seat.

Both of these Sportscraft options give a cost effective, rattle free swivel seat, with next to no rock n roll. The only drawback is that the Sportscraft base which claims to permit room for a leisure battery, still uses some room under the swivel. I couldn't accommodate a Roamer underseat battery under the swivel that claims to allow a leisure battery to fit. I was however able to fit a 170Ah Renogy under:

I’m glad I found this thread, I’m really disappointed with my new single passenger swivel- the seat wobbles allover the place :(

RIB all day long. Rick solid and swivels so easy a 5yo can do it.
Oh...I have one for sale. Nothing wrong with it but actually needed a cot bed.....

I'm pretty happy with my single swivel, in the end I went with the sports craft base for the heated seat, easy to turn and doesn't rattle when driving!

Hi all
I'm pretty relentless when it comes to researching products online and reading as much as possible on this forum. But, after fitting a Rusty Lee Swivel base I wanted to share what I've found which I don't think I was entirely expecting -

1) Added height. It's fairly obvious they will add some height but my advice is to consider whether you will be comfortable with approximately 30mm additional height because it really does make a big difference.

2) Stability. They are well made but the physics at play of a plate which is suspended around a central pivot means they flex, and this makes the seat less stable than before, kind of bouncy front to back and left to right.

For me and my other half the height is a problem, so much so I'm now looking into lowered seat bases (glad I don't have a leisure battery). The wobble seems unavoidable with a Swivel base. It's not too bad when sat in it driving, but move the seat around and when empty it jiggles.

Just thought I'd share in case, like me, you are taken in by the various videos and product briefs that the Rusty Lee swivels are the best going. I'm sure they are great but generally speaking it appears as though a swivel base does come with some compromises.

Hope this helps other
I'm pretty relentless when it comes to researching products online and reading as much as possible on this forum. But, after fitting a Rusty Lee Swivel base I wanted to share what I've found which I don't think I was entirely expecting -

1) Added height. It's fairly obvious they will add some height but my advice is to consider whether you will be comfortable with approximately 30mm additional height because it really does make a big difference.

2) Stability. They are well made but the physics at play of a plate which is suspended around a central pivot means they flex, and this makes the seat less stable than before, kind of bouncy front to back and left to right.

For me and my other half the height is a problem, so much so I'm now looking into lowered seat bases (glad I don't have a leisure battery). The wobble seems unavoidable with a Swivel base. It's not too bad when sat in it driving, but move the seat around and when empty it jiggles.

Just thought I'd share in case, like me, you are taken in by the various videos and product briefs that the Rusty Lee swivels are the best going. I'm sure they are great but generally speaking it appears as though a swivel base does come with some compromises.

Hope this helps others
hi , this subject is never ending , but the van that got me hooked was an f red 150 , single side door lwb with swivels , these would be great for family I thought . The van I ended up with was 2-4 lwb grey , no swivels , do go for the rib, Sportscraft or Lee plate types or like look of Aguti full job . I really want as less wobble as poss . Thanks all

I will have a sportscraft swivel for sale next week. I bought it from Jennings (they are a great shop). It’s a great swivel.

I’m only changing as I’ve now got custom seat bases and custom seats and combined everything is slightly too high with the swivel installed.

If anyone is interested, DM me. I’ll add the advert/post next week.

Back