problem with "storage" mode on Victron IP65

Graham Jones

VIP Member
T6 Guru
Hello...Just tried our new T6.1 Frontline camper and have a query about the Victron IP65 charger.
We were on grid for 3 days , plugged in , and I was under the impression that our Lithium 120ah battery would keep topped up while fridge was on .
I noticed that the battery monitor was showng a percentage drop, finally down to 76%, after the 3rd day. when I checked the IP65, it was on "Storage " mode, and that is where it would stay. The only way I could get it to start the charge cycle (bulk, abs, float) was to turn off power for a bit then turn back on and it would start the cycle
Is there a way I can configure the charger to not go into Storage mode when using over that period of time? Cheers.

Hello...Just tried our new T6.1 Frontline camper and have a query about the Victron IP65 charger.
We were on grid for 3 days , plugged in , and I was under the impression that our Lithium 120ah battery would keep topped up while fridge was on .
I noticed that the battery monitor was showng a percentage drop, finally down to 76%, after the 3rd day. when I checked the IP65, it was on "Storage " mode, and that is where it would stay. The only way I could get it to start the charge cycle (bulk, abs, float) was to turn off power for a bit then turn back on and it would start the cycle
Is there a way I can configure the charger to not go into Storage mode when using over that period of time? Cheers.
whats the charger battery mode set too?

the default lithium profile?

you have a few options.

edit the lithium profile to make your own pre-set - where you can tweak the voltage levels.

or

use the "power supply" mode on the charger.

posty some pics of you APP and setup.

+++

also what battery?

as that is the most important fact - what are the recommended settings

also lithium's like to be cycled and are most happy 20-80% SoC range.

so dont panic if its not resting at 100% - thats fine.

+++

1701341316527.png1701341333763.png1701341362003.png1701341387123.png1701341491601.png

++++

What charging profile is the charger set to?

Thank you delmassive and salty spuds....will check everything tomorrow...late down here in Oz now.
I do know that the conversiion has set the Victron on "normal " mode.

Ok...so the Blue Smart Victron IP65 15A charger is now set to Lifeop4 setting (changed from "Normal" setting)
Battery is a Voltech 120ah Lithium Lifeop4 battery.
I was under the impression that when plugged into mains power and fridge turned on, the charger would keep putting in the amps that the fridge was taking out,,,keeping battery at 100%.
This is what happened when first turned on. But after 2 hours in absorbtion mode @14.2v (absorbtion mode duration limit in settings is 2hrs.) the charger then goes to float mode (13.5v) and then stays there and will not put in the same amps as are being taken out by fridge. The battery state then starts dropping.
Will the charger stay on float mode indefinitetly @13.5v which it appears to be doing, or will a new charge cycle be triggered at a certain battery voltage level..hopefully before battery completely discharged.?
thanks, Cheers.

a new cycle will be triggered when the charger sees a larger current draw,

or

the battery voltage drops a bit more.

++++++++++++

what are you using for monitoring?

got any pics?

++++++++++++

this the battery?:

1701420459317.png

that battery lists . . .

nomial voltage 12.8v

max charge voltage 14.2v

lowest voltage 11.8v

1701420655646.png

+++

and the book shows, , ,

Float @ 3.4-3.45v/cell - assuming 4cell is 13.6v

Equalization
@ 3.5-3.6v/cell - assuming 4cell is 14v - 14.4v (14.2v)

1701420912341.png

The battery is in float, because the charger is supplying all the load, so the battery is sat doing nothing. If you put a bigger load onto the battery greater than 15A then the battery will start contributing & the charger will go into bulk mode.

or

++++++++++++

got any pics?

++++++++++++

this the battery?:

View attachment 221398

that battery lists . . .

nomial voltage 12.8v

max charge voltage 14.2v

lowest voltage 11.8v

View attachment 221399

+++

and the book shows, , ,

Equalization

View attachment 221400
Thanks for that...yes that is the battery...and all those perimeters are the same as the charger settings. the battery monitor is the Victron BMV 712 Smart. How far does the battery have to drop before new charge cycle starts.? I have been warned not to let battery go below 20%.

or

++++++++++++

got any pics?

++++++++++++

this the battery?:

View attachment 221398

that battery lists . . .

nomial voltage 12.8v

max charge voltage 14.2v

lowest voltage 11.8v

View attachment 221399

+++

and the book shows, , ,

Equalization

View attachment 221400

or

++++++++++++

got any pics?

++++++++++++

this the battery?:

View attachment 221398

that battery lists . . .

nomial voltage 12.8v

max charge voltage 14.2v

lowest voltage 11.8v

View attachment 221399

+++

and the book shows, , ,

Equalization

View attachment 221400
Thanks for that....yes that is the battery...and the monitor is Victron BMV 712.
How low will the battery have to go before a charge cycle again as I have been told not to let battery discharge lower than 20%?

or

++++++++++++

got any pics?

++++++++++++

this the battery?:

View attachment 221398

that battery lists . . .

nomial voltage 12.8v

max charge voltage 14.2v

lowest voltage 11.8v

View attachment 221399

+++

and the book shows, , ,

Equalization

View attachment 221400

or

++++++++++++

got any pics?

++++++++++++

this the battery?:

View attachment 221398

that battery lists . . .

nomial voltage 12.8v

max charge voltage 14.2v

lowest voltage 11.8v

View attachment 221399

+++

and the book shows, , ,

Equalization

View attachment 221400

or

++++++++++++

got any pics?

++++++++++++

this the battery?:

View attachment 221398

that battery lists . . .

nomial voltage 12.8v

max charge voltage 14.2v

lowest voltage 11.8v

View attachment 221399

+++

and the book shows, , ,

Equalization

View attachment 221400
Thanks Delmassive....yes that is the battery. All the battery values corrispond to the settings on the charger...so that is good.How far down will the battery go before changing from FLOAT to 20231201_212018.jpg20231201_212157.jpgScreenshot_20231201_212921.jpgnew charge cycle, because I have been told not to discharge lower than 20% capacity.
The monitor is Victron Bmv 712.

The battery is in float, because the charger is supplying all the load, so the battery is sat doing nothing. If you put a bigger load onto the battery greater than 15A then the battery will start contributing & the charger will go into bulk mode.
Thanks Salty Spuds....but that is where I am confused (not unusual) because when charge cycle starts ...Bulk, Absorbtion , I can see charger replacing the amps that the fridge is using and battery stays full,until it charger reaches Float mode, then the charger does not replace the amps and the battery starts dropping.

Sorry to everyone about the mess up on previous post.....as all can tell by now...not very tech minded.

Back