Private plate swap over

Tourershine

Senior Citizen.
VIP Member
T6 Master
I've got a feeling I'm not going to like the answer to this question, but I recently purchased a new plate for my van and transferred it over straight away.

It had my own plate already on the van T60 RER, and I just wanted something different. The swap over was instant and I assumed as I have the retention document for T60 RER that it would just automatically go back onto retention, which is transpires isn't actually the case.

Does anyone know if my original plate T60 RER has now vanished back into DVLA's system? Or do I get sent a new Retention certificate automatically, because currently I cannot find it to put onto another vehicle.

It goes back to DVLA. You should have put T60 RER on retention first

It goes back to DVLA. You should have put T60 RER on retention first

FFS so I've lost a plate that I've owned for 15 years. Fantastic.

You'd think there would be a warning that your current plate is about to go back into the system unless you place it on retention.

Gutted.

I've got a feeling I'm not going to like the answer to this question, but I recently purchased a new plate for my van and transferred it over straight away.

It had my own plate already on the van T60 RER, and I just wanted something different. The swap over was instant and I assumed as I have the retention document for T60 RER that it would just automatically go back onto retention, which is transpires isn't actually the case.

Does anyone know if my original plate T60 RER has now vanished back into DVLA's system? Or do I get sent a new Retention certificate automatically, because currently I cannot find it to put onto another vehicle.
I believe that you are correct in not liking the answer. You did not state if the van had a general plate on when it was first bought?
As far as I know you should have put T60RER on retention, then the van would be allocated its original number and then put your new number on.

I know when you take off a personal plate the DVLA usually put the original plate back, but this is not guaranteed, so the plates go back into the system and could be allocated to another vehicle.

I would be onto the DVLA as soon as possible.

Good luck and I hope Im wrong.

FFS so I've lost a plate that I've owned for 15 years. Fantastic.

You'd think there would be a warning that your current plate is about to go back into the system unless you place it on retention.

Gutted.
Did the van have another plate before T60RER?

Now Im wondering if you put the new plate on retention if the T60RER or the original 67 would go back on. My guess is the original.

Did you pay the £100 retention fee?

Now Im wondering if you put the new plate on retention if the T60RER or the original 67 would go back on. My guess is the original.

Did you pay the £100 retention fee?

Only when I originally purchased the plate years ago. I've stupidly assumed that you pay once and that you keep the plate until you sell it. I'm just contacting DVLA to ask what can be done as it's only been moved over 24hrs ago.

Only when I originally purchased the plate years ago. I've stupidly assumed that you pay once and that you keep the plate until you sell it. I'm just contacting DVLA to ask what can be done as it's only been moved over 24hrs ago.
Good luck. Its £100 every time you want to put a plate on retention. I just looked on the site, they have not put it up for sale yet.

Yeah I looked. Hopefully they will let me have it back, but no doubt it will end upon costing me.
I've never changed my plate and always just assigned the same plate to every vehicle, but the new one was just to perfect to pass up on.
Every day is a school day I guess :(

Now Im wondering if you put the new plate on retention if the T60RER or the original 67 would go back on. My guess is

I’ve done quite a few over the years and it’s always been the original plate that went back on.

Whats the new TS plate then . . . . . ?

Very exciting.....

My mates just done exactly the same thing, I told him to put his original plate on tetention first but couldn’t wait to get his new one on, best thing was he had sold his original private plate, but it’s now gone, he no longer owns it.

Back