Powered tailgate fails to lift on new T6.1

jonnyboy888

Hi. I just picked up my brand new T6.1 from the dealer.

The salesman was showing me the ropes and opened the power tailgate using the button on the outside. The tailgate lifted to the top of its travel as you might expect, but then failed to lower when the button was pressed.

The salesman closed the tailgate manually and tried opening it again, but it no longer lifts up either.

The power latching/unlatching works fine, it’s just the lifting and lowering that doesn’t.

They took it to the workshop and plugged it into the diagnostics, but apparently there were no fault codes so they couldn’t tell what the issue was.

I took the vehicle away but have to return it for investigation and hopefully a successful repair.

I am a little concerned what with the vehicle being brand new. If anyone has experience of this issue I would really appreciate your insight.

Many thanks.

when you say button on the outside, do you mean the door handle or the side button on the key fob?

Heya
Is it an electric tail gate ?
If so the proximity sensors to the rear bumper are very sensitive to what’s behind even though it will open manually
Also when key fob pressed do the indicators flash 3 times ?
If so the battery does not have sufficient power
This is more common on start stop vans as I know as I had similar issues
The left side of the battery has the small plug for start stop sensor
Just unplug and the ecu can’t tell what battery is doing so the alternator will always charge
Hope that makes sense and helps

Heya
Is it an electric tail gate ?
If so the proximity sensors to the rear bumper are very sensitive to what’s behind even though it will open manually
Also when key fob pressed do the indicators flash 3 times ?
If so the battery does not have sufficient power
This is more common on start stop vans as I know as I had similar issues
The left side of the battery has the small plug for start stop sensor
Just unplug and the ecu can’t tell what battery is doing so the alternator will always charge
Hope that makes sense and helps
Thanks for the details analysis.

Yes it's an electric tailgate.

Which button do you press on the keyfob to see if it flashes three times, is it the one for opening the tailgate?

I initially thought it might be a battery issue but have run it for about 50 miles now and it's still happening.

I will take a look and let you know how I get on.

Thanks for the details analysis.

Yes it's an electric tailgate.

Which button do you press on the keyfob to see if it flashes three times, is it the one for opening the tailgate?

I initially thought it might be a battery issue but have run it for about 50 miles now and it's still happening.

I will take a look and let you know how I get on.
Hi, did you get to the bottom of this? Having a similar problem and it only arrived on Tuesday?

My electric tailgate had to go back 3 times before they sorted it. Sometimes it just wouldn't open on the fob, other times it would open fine then only half close on the button, other times it would close on the button then not latch. It ended up having a new module which is located somewhere behind the right rear panel.

My electric tailgate had to go back 3 times before they sorted it. Sometimes it just wouldn't open on the fob, other times it would open fine then only half close on the button, other times it would close on the button then not latch. It ended up having a new module which is located somewhere behind the right rear panel.
Thanks, I have it booked in at VW next week. Always difficult to get these random faults fixed, no doubt I will take it in and it will work fine at the garage! Good that yours is all sorted now though. Thanks again for your reply.

Back