Power steering pump - replacement cost.

Stoph43

Hi all. Has anyone had any experience with replacing power steering pumps? My dealer has informed me that’s it’s weeping oil and recommends it to be replaced. The van is due a cam belt and water pump which they have quoted £890 to conduct the work, PLUS a further £968 to replace the power steering pump . Does anyone know if the power steering pump is on the same system as the cam belt? And if so are they trying to double theirs costs for the labour of removing the timing belt to get to the power steering pump? I was hoping the costs would be reduced if I did both at the same time? Any thoughts on this would be hugely appreciated. Thanks

Does anyone know if the power steering pump is on the same system as the cam belt?
No, steering pump runs on auxiliary belt. The cam belt is "inner" toothed belt running behind plastic covers just next to aux belt. Thus the aux belt needs to be removed to get access to cam belt and water pump.
Anyways, besides just loosening/removing aux belt there are a few steps dedicated to the replacement of steering pump. E.g.removal/install hydraulic pipes, pulley, the pump itself, bleeding the system. VW repair instructions also mention need to remove air conditioner compressor for the job...

No, steering pump runs on auxiliary belt. The cam belt is "inner" toothed belt running behind plastic covers just next to aux belt. Thus the aux belt needs to be removed to get access to cam belt and water pump.
Anyways, besides just loosening/removing aux belt there are a few steps dedicated to the replacement of steering pump. E.g.removal/install hydraulic pipes, pulley, the pump itself, bleeding the system. VW repair instructions also mention need to remove air conditioner compressor for the job...
ok, that helps me figure out the options, thanks for your reply mmi much appreciated

I’m on the VW all in extended warranty scheme and after a recent garage visit they have red lighted the pas as leaking. According to them it’s not covered due to an exemption for oil leaks. The want £734.89 to replace it. Beginning to think the all in warranty is poor value. ( just had cam belt and water pump done £889)

Just had mine replaced by my local mechanic. £468. Glad I'm out of warranty and out of the clutches of main dealers.
60000 miles - it shouldn't fail!

Don’t know the price for the PAS but I just had cambelt, water pump and aux belt done for £600 at an indie. £890 just for cam belt/pump is a rip off IMO.

Just been told mine is leaking, pump is £480 from tps or under £100 from eurocar parts is there any point buying genuine if it fails after 46,000 miles?

I have just been told at an oil service that there is swarf in the PAS oil.
Do I get the steering rack swapped or wait for it to break?

That's an odd one.

Why did they check.

Did you have an issue with the power steering?

Is this a main dealer or an indie garage?

It was a main dealer oil service. Listers VW Droitwich.

No issue with power steering, I now need to pay them to investigate if I want to know more...

It was a main dealer oil service. Listers VW Droitwich.

No issue with power steering, I now need to pay them to investigate if I want to know more...
Personally, I would drop a magnet in there.
Use two good strong rare earth magnets one on the inside matched with one on the outside, or tape a large one to the outside of the reservoir and see if it collects anything.

I have just added a few magnets to the PAS reservoir dipstick. I will see what they collect.

0E9261BA-94CA-498B-8EA5-EF325C06C36A.jpeg

I can’t see any swarf, would they change the PAS fluid on an oil change service?

I have just added a few magnets to the PAS reservoir dipstick. I will see what they collect.

View attachment 186736

I can’t see any swarf, would the change the PAS fluid on an oil change service?
Run the engine for a while to circulate it and operate the steering from lock to lock ten times (that is what the manual states for air removal). That should move any swarf around and circulate it past your magnets.

I’ve just done that and checked the magnets, no swarf. Maybe they used a microscope!
I am off to Bristol and back tomorrow, so I will check them again after that run.

Reactions: Loz
I’d phone them up and ask how and why they diagnosed the ‘issue’.
If they had done an oil analysis you would have paid for it.
It sounds like they have a spare steering rack on the shelf that needs shifting.

After over 250 miles of drving over the weekend, still no sign of swarf in the PAS oil.
I think I will ignore the suggestion to pay for further investigation...

After over 250 miles of drving over the weekend, still no sign of swarf in the PAS oil.
I think I will ignore the suggestion to pay for further investigation...
Which garage / workshop recommended the replacement?

Back