Powder Coating Devonports

Einion

Hello,

I am waiting delivery of my t6, t32 highline in imodium grey. It will come with silver davenport as standard.

I like the look of the van and shape of the wheels but don't like the light silver of the wheels.

Has anyone powder coated theirs? Mat or satin black I was thinking......

Hello,

I am waiting delivery of my t6, t32 highline in imodium grey. It will come with silver davenport as standard.

I like the look of the van and shape of the wheels but don't like the light silver of the wheels.

Has anyone powder coated theirs? Mat or satin black I was thinking......
@Fish has experience of having wheels powder coated (at least I think they were powder coated rather than painted).

I had my steels power coated at Mikris in Stonehouse Glos. the place was full of Porsche, BMW and loads of racing wheels, they have a big reputation in the market, did a very thorough job. Stripped, cleaned, etched, primed and coated.

I had mine painted £70 per wheel. really pleased with the results. You might find it cheaper if you painted the whole wheel as they won't have to mask it up.
Also they just pushed the tyre off the rim on the facing side so I didn't have to pay for tyres off and on and balancing.
fullsizeoutput_180f.jpeg

Looking at this, Am I correct is saying powder coating gives a Matt finish where as painting gives a Gloss finish ?

I think the powderer coating is capped of with a lacquer, and that can have matt/gloss/etc finishes.

I Was strongly advised against spraying, but to find as really good powder coater. There are some really cheap lacquers which will not last.

I wouldn't write off spraying, I had some Audi wheels sprayed gloss black 7-8 yrs ago and they were still immaculate 18 months later when I sold it. Wasn't even in a paint shop either, was a mobile guy who did it in my garage!

I wouldn't write off spraying, I had some Audi wheels sprayed gloss black 7-8 yrs ago and they were still immaculate 18 months later when I sold it. Wasn't even in a paint shop either, was a mobile guy who did it in my garage!
I'm sure a good re-sprayer will use high quality lacquers as well; but unless you are after a very particular finish, powder coat will out perform traditional spray (i.e not 2 pack), every time imo.
I think good powder coating will give you 5-10+` years subject to a good substrate and lacquer. Wheels certainly take some hammer, particularly if you run them through winter as I do.

I looked at power coating, as it was cheaper and powder coating is a little more durable from my own experience in the cabinetmaking/shop fitting game.

We found that the powder coating held up better in a commercial space with more traffic than two pack paint

I went a Satin Black and i'm happy with the finish and look and its held up well since i had it done

IMG_1036.JPG

Its early days with mine. They were lacquered with 2 pack and I wanted a two tone finish which I was finding difficult to get done with powder coating.
Not sure I will run them in the winter as I have a spare set of wheels and tyres.

I have a spare set of Devonports. Going to get them powder coated in Shadow Chrome next week.
Had the other half's MX5 done the same a few weeks ago. They look Chrome in some light and black in others. Should be ok on the white van I hope.

I have a spare set of Devonports. Going to get them powder coated in Shadow Chrome next week.
Had the other half's MX5 done the same a few weeks ago. They look Chrome in some light and black in others. Should be ok on the white van I hope.
Look forward to seeing a picture of your van with these little beauties fitted:thumbsup:

Back