Powder coating on alloy wheel mating surfaces

HewsonsT6

Hi all,

I recently purchased some lovely 17” Black Aracaju alloys that have been re powder coated. I didnt think anything of it when I was looking at the wheels but I have been looking at getting them fitted and it seems that the mating surfaces being powder coated is an issue. The company that powder coated them said they dont always mask off the mating surfaces for Transporters as its not a big deal and to just fit them and retorque after 25 miles or so. Presumably it will work its way off hence the retorque. Other garages seem to think otherwise.

Anyone else in this stuation or is it just me!

Thought and feedback would be appreciated.

Mark

Can you not give them a wipe over with some fine sandpaper and clean up the mating surface a bit ?

It’s something I hadn’t really considered as I’m about to get tyres put back on these and they have been coated all over

image.jpg

No me neither, it didnt cross my mind when I purchased them. Its probably more relevant for a performance vehicle tbh but I am not a mechanic so wouldnt know.

I they were supposed to be coated with anything they would be as supplied OEM.
The powder coating should be removed IMO, it’s the clamping friction between the metal surfaces that’s required. Not an experiment I would be undertaking.
Just spoke to my mechanic friend who will be fitting the wheels for me and he said he will remove the powder coat and clean up the hub surfaces before fitting so that’s perfect. I’d rather not take the risk. On another note, I have steels on at the moment, are the wheel bits the same as for alloys or are they a different size?

Just spoke to my mechanic friend who will be fitting the wheels for me and he said he will remove the powder coat and clean up the hub surfaces before fitting so that’s perfect. I’d rather not take the risk. On another note, I have steels on at the moment, are the wheel bits the same as for alloys or are they a different size?
Generally VW wheels steel or alloy use the same bolt as the spare on a van equipped with alloys will be a steel. I’ve never used the wheel you have so best get confirmation.

Stick with original bolts

If you wanted to be completely correct, the seat for the wheel bolts should also be uncoated.

Stick with original bolts
No, check the seat profile of the new alloys, if its the same as OEM, use OEM bolts, if its a taper, then use Taper bolts.

If you wanted to be completely correct, the seat for the wheel bolts should also be uncoated.

No, check the seat profile of the new alloys, if its the same as OEM, use OEM bolts, if its a taper, then use Taper bolts.
Yes my mechanic mentioned that the seat also needs to be free from powder coat and will make sure this is the case when he fits them for me. I will check the profile of the alloy and see if it matches the bolt profile. Thanks

I can remember from late ‘70’s / ‘80s when powder coating bike wheels was likely to get an MOT failure as cracks couldn’t be spotted. Attitudes have changed.

There really is no excuse to not do it properly, decent refurbers have kit like this

But, people want cheap, and when places are churning out 20" wheel refurbs at £200 for 4 - you can easily tell there is little time given to masking them up - just churn them out quick as they can!

Good correction re seat profile for bolts.

Back