Pop-top Tent, Leaky Vent.

Tees 6

Our newly purchased camper has a pop-top roof with a mesh vent at the top of the front tent panel, which is closed by a velcro’d on fabric strip. The issue is, if there is any wind from that direction, rain falls straight through the mesh, down through the Velcro and drips steadily into the van.

Just interested to find out if anyone else has experienced this issue. I’ve seen a few of these pop-tops around, so can’t believe we’re the only ones.

Cheers

We have an SCA roof with a similar vent but have had no issues with water drips into the van as a result. If we did, we'd just close the vent (always have the front windows cracked open a little to provide ventilation).

They are meant to be left open all the time when you are using the pop top so doesn't sound right - what make of roof is it?

Don’t know the make unfortunately, it’s just what was fitted when I bought it. Appears to be a Reimo style tho.

Had a good look at the vent on mine yesterday - the mesh is a lot finer than on the windows plus the strip of canvas that closes it significantly overlaps it so, even if rain did get driven through the mesh, it would run out the bottom of it before coming into the van. We have been out in some serious rain and driving winds before without the problems you describe. That said, if possible, it's always preferable to park such that the hinge/lowest part of the roof faces into any wind to minimise the chances of damage and reduce the chance of canvas saturation and wind driving the rain through it.

As above, if we can identify the make/model of your roof, others with the same roof will be able to advise if its an inherent design issue or a fault with your particular roof/installation.

Pics of inside my SCA showing oversize canvas flap - 3 velcro straps at the top are so you can partially close the vent without risk of it fully closing - in this position any rain ingress would simply run back out of the bottom of the mesh.
IMG_4077.jpg
IMG_4079.jpg

D4BA1A70-92DF-48EA-BEFC-C856E5FE092A.jpeg Thanks for the pictures, that explains how the water doesn’t get through your vent flap: yours only has Velcro at the top whereas ours has Velcro top and bottom, and it’s the bottom strip that lets the water through, even when closed.

View attachment 29725 Thanks for the pictures, that explains how the water doesn’t get through your vent flap: yours only has Velcro at the top whereas ours has Velcro top and bottom, and it’s the bottom strip that lets the water through, even when closed.
Looks like a poor design :-(

Maybe add an additional strip on the outside and lose the vent?.

Maybe add an additional strip on the outside and lose the vent?.
Vents are there for a reason - if you permenantly close them off you will get lots of condensation which, whilst probably not as bad as the rain coming in, will be there even when its not raining.

You could always try using some wide duck tape in place of the velcro strip to be applied on the days when it's driving rain straight onto the front of the van?

Vents are there for a reason - if you permenantly close them off you will get lots of condensation which, whilst probably not as bad as the rain coming in, will be there even when its not raining.

You could always try using some wide duck tape in place of the velcro strip to be applied on the days when it's driving rain straight onto the front of the van?

Fair point buddy. So then what about an external 'hood' type of vent cover?.

Fair point buddy. So then what about an external 'hood' type of vent cover?.
External wrap maybe?

With the lip on the roof and distance back to canvas and vent it should be the exception rather than the norm to have the van poititioned in such a way that rain gets driven in - hopefully the first use was just unlucky with the weather and wind direction @Tees 6 ??

i have a permanently open vent on my Reimo roof and doesn't let any rain in, im suprised water is getting in there maybe the position of the van and driving rain

i agree with @Davenjo says the lip of the roof and the distance back should keep the rain out !
i will take a photo of mine tomorrow and post it in case it helps

@Tees 6 We have the same problem and the van didn't come with a vent flap at all! Any wind and rain and it comes straight in to the van! We've been having to keep the top down overnight during the winter! Did you ever find a solution??

IMG_2796.jpg

IMG_2797.jpg

IMG_2800.jpg

Back